2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He's smaller than some safeties...

When I looked at his PFF grades, it looked like he was used in run defense, coverage and pass rush.  All of his scores were in the upper 70's-80's.   Those scores look like a great off ball linebacker to have, if you want to disguise what you are doing.

I'm looking on PFF now.  You are right, on the small side.  6'0'' 230 pounds.  But...

DEF: 85.7  RDEF: 80.4  TACK:62.5  PRSH: 78.7  COV:82

And?  I've watched zero tape on him, so I'm just going by PFF so I could be way off base here.

Size wise he doesn't look like a Mike or Sam, but the overall scores make me optimistic that he could fill an off ball linebacker role.

I’m pretty obsessed with decision-making and recognition quickness.  Lb, safety, o-line.  I’ll give up a couple pounds at lb for a quick processor.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Fair enough but I'd rather find someone to fill that SAM role. Junior Colson all day.

I get that. I take them at their word that they dont scout for specific off the ball LB roles. 

I wouldnt be upset one bit over colson. Just think trotter gives us a little more in terms of pass coverage. We cant rely on preston island forever

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Assuming that we cannot get one of the top 3 WR's.....my vote would be for Brian Thomas, WR.

Pure vertical threat.  

Reasons:  Watson's injury history.  And, if Watson isn't injured, just how can you cover Reed and our Te's if you have both Watson and Thomas on the field running deep routes?

Yep, you load Love up with great WR talent for the long term.  Opens things up for Jacobs and the RBs in the running game.  Pick your poison.  He'd be a gamechanger for this offense.  

Edited by NFLGURU

43 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm utterly confused. We already drafted our move TEs in Musgrave and Kraft.

Deguara is a FULL BACK. Yes he played some TE before for us due to injuries but he was drafted to play fullback for us.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Deguara is a FULL BACK. Yes he played some TE before for us due to injuries but he was drafted to play fullback for us.

Not really. It's not a traditional fullback role. 

46 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I get that. I take them at their word that they dont scout for specific off the ball LB roles. 

I wouldnt be upset one bit over colson. Just think trotter gives us a little more in terms of pass coverage. We cant rely on preston island forever

I just watched some Colson stuff.....and looked at PFF to see how's he's fared.

I'd bet a dime to a dollar that he is high on our board.

He checks all boxes.  ....and he's progressed every year in college.  

Not really going out on a limb here, but to me he's got a lot of ceiling left to him as well.  I do like that player.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Not really. It's not a traditional fullback role. 

Not disagreeing with you at all.

In those clips, though, I couldn't help but see that most of his stuff was what Kraft did last year.  Granted, just a few plays there, but the similarity really stood out to me.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not disagreeing with you at all.

In those clips, though, I couldn't help but see that most of his stuff was what Kraft did last year.  Granted, just a few plays there, but the similarity really stood out to me.

Yeah, I know. Kraft played in the move role a lot. Chili's not wrong that Kraft and Musgrave are move TEs. The point of the video was to show that Sinnott would elevate the position, not be the main move. He's got that hybrid feel to him that Juice plays in SF. 

Sinnott makes a lot of sense.  Last season, we kept 4 TEs on the roster.  It will probably be a third or fourth round pick to land him.  We currently have Sims and Davis on the roster at TEs 3 and 4.  I like them both just fine as role players, and would have zero issue with the team rolling with the group of four that we currently have on roster.  But neither of them would factor into my draft plans.  He is a better athlete across the board than Deguara, and seems from clips to be able to play that H-back role.  If he were to take snaps from Kraft or Musgrave, then he is a very good player.

39 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I know. Kraft played in the move role a lot. Chili's not wrong that Kraft and Musgrave are move TEs. The point of the video was to show that Sinnott would elevate the position, not be the main move. He's got that hybrid feel to him that Juice plays in SF. 

To me he looks like Juz, too.  

Not sure how high I'd go for him, as Kraft did a lot of that last year already.

But I'm not knocking the player at all.  It's never a problem to have too many good TE's/HB's.  Those guys are core specials guys, too.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To me he looks like Juz, too.  

Not sure how high I'd go for him, as Kraft did a lot of that last year already.

But I'm not knocking the player at all.  It's never a problem to have too many good TE's/HB's.  Those guys are core specials guys, too.

If it's gonna lead to a well oiled machine on offense, I'll go as high as Gute and Matt deem necessary. That's a damn good football player right there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chili said:

We abandoned that after his injury. He became an afterthought. The offense evolved past that. Sounds like MLF wants that again but in unique ways that don’t require a guy for it. Of course, it’s easier and more effective if one player just handles it so we’ll see how the draft shakes out.