2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Way I see it, I like Sinnott. My guess is we'll probably draft a H-back/TE type at some point. But it's one of those "luxury" spots - like Edge, WR, DL and RB - where we can miss on the position altogether in the draft and still be fine going into TC with the core group we have.

Still, wouldn't mind adding one to each of those groups if we have the picks for it. 

With the way offences are evolving, are we going to see a day where fullbacks become do-it-all centrepieces of the offence?

They can potentially be so advantageous as you can move them around at backfield, wing, H-Back, slot and even tight end. It opens up a whole world of motions and QB audibles which keeps defences off balance.

Essentially a FB who excels in all three phases, the run, block and catching games

Right now we see RBs who can switch out wide to become a receiver, or a TE can switch inside to become a blocking fullback. There's not someone yet who can do all three.

Could that day be coming and is there anyone in the draft who could potentially do it all?

AJ Dillon theoretically could do it all.

Perhaps if Taysom Hill was younger he would've been able to do it.

We're tied for the most picks in the draft IIRC. We have the picks for it IMO. I think the position is far from a luxury, it's probably vital to unlocking the potential to a juggernaut. We're so used to Rodgers ignoring TEs that we don't know how to appreciate wanting them lol. 

Sinnott's going to be a Packer. I feel it in my bones.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

With the way offences are evolving, are we going to see a day where fullbacks become do-it-all centrepieces of the offence?

They can potentially be so advantageous as you can move them around at backfield, wing, H-Back, slot and even tight end. It opens up a whole world of motions and QB audibles which keeps defences off balance.

Essentially a FB who excels in all three phases, the run, block and catching games

Right now we see RBs who can switch out wide to become a receiver, or a TE can switch inside to become a blocking fullback. There's not someone yet who can do all three.

Could that day be coming and is there anyone in the draft who could potentially do it all?

Ben Sinnott! lmao (kidding kinda)

He did have a 9 yard carry vs Oklahoma as a freshman tho so who knows. I'm gonna talk this one into existence too. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We're tied for the most picks in the draft IIRC. We have the picks for it IMO. I think the position is far from a luxury, it's probably vital to unlocking the potential to a juggernaut. We're so used to Rodgers ignoring TEs that we don't know how to appreciate wanting them lol. 

If it's the potential to unlocking a juggernaut, that doesn't bode well for Tucker Kraft. IMO Kraft was the far superior tape prospect to Sinnott. I wouldn't mind if we took him in the 4th, but I just don't see the big difference in our offense he could bring. IMO a RB like Shipley or Wright in round 3 does WAY more than a 3rd TE, Reiman is my guy for that role, get bigger in the short yardage situations. 

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think TE could become more valuable vs WR. 

Better impact on running game considering blocking aspect.  Can be capable/ mismatch in passing game if athletic enough. Cheaper cost in contract terms.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If it's the potential to unlocking a juggernaut, that doesn't bode well for Tucker Kraft. IMO Kraft was the far superior tape prospect to Sinnott. I wouldn't mind if we took him in the 4th, but I just don't see the big difference in our offense he could bring. IMO a RB like Shipley or Wright in round 3 does WAY more than a 3rd TE, Reiman is my guy for that role, get bigger in the short yardage situations. 

It's not really the same role and not really a TE role. Kraft doesn't do the same stuff that Sinnott does. Kraft was never a FB/TE hybrid like Sinnott.

EDIT - And yeah, I don't see it with Wright. Definitely not on day 2. 

EDIT #2 - We also have two 3rd round picks 😉 

Edited by beekay414

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

You're basically describing a Taysom Hill that can block and maybe has an extra inch or two to his height.

The truth is your concept of a Proto-FB won't be a reality until you find someone who goes under 4.5 that is willing to do the dirty work. We've seen FBs and H-Backs do multiple alignments before in Green Bay- I remember one play when Danny Vitale was lined out wide and could've taken a catch to the house had he been faster- but nobody with the kind of burst needed to take true advantage of defenses. Even Juice(Kyle Juzczek) is comparatively pedestrian in terms of speed(Sinnott isn't really any faster either), and he's the gold standard of what you want for a skill-set.

But anybody fast enough to make this sort of position you envision work is already going to be plugged into a more worthwhile spot on offense, or at worst be a gadget player who won't be expected to block as that would be a waste of a weapon.

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Hypothetical....if NE offered pick 68 for Doubs, would you do it?

Until Watson proves he's overcome his hammy issues, no. Even then I'd still lean 'no', but that's only because I don't wanna surrender his time spent working with Love and I don't really know of anyone around that range or even above it that I think would be an equal if not better replacement(not a condemnation of the draft class, but rather total ignorance of it).

10 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Until Watson proves he's overcome his hammy issues, no. Even then I'd still lean 'no', but that's only because I don't wanna surrender his time spent working with Love and I don't really know of anyone around that range or even above it that I think would be an equal if not better replacement(not a condemnation of the draft class, but rather total ignorance of it).

Watson health is a factor for sure.  

31 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Hypothetical....if NE offered pick 68 for Doubs, would you do it?

Depends on the board but I'm assuming it's a pull the trigger now type of move, yes?

If Joe Milton is available in round 3 would you take him? 

I think this would be a perfect opportunity to develop a quarterback behind Love that has all the tools and seems like a great person.