2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

If Joe Milton is available in round 3 would you take him? 

I think this would be a perfect opportunity to develop a quarterback behind Love that has all the tools and seems like a great person.

No

11 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

I think this would be a perfect opportunity to develop a quarterback behind Love that has all the tools and seems like a great person.

No, Good project who will need a lot of work, processing speed needs upgraded.  If Clements sticks around a few years, I'd be more inclined, but the 3rd round is way too early.  Maybe a 6th or later but somebody will take him before that.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Way I see it, I like Sinnott. My guess is we'll probably draft a H-back/TE type at some point. But it's one of those "luxury" spots - like Edge, WR, DL and RB - where we can miss on the position altogether in the draft and still be fine going into TC with the core group we have.

Still, wouldn't mind adding one to each of those groups if we have the picks for it. 

Hes a capable TE who doesn't block well.  Good football player, good combine, he'll probably be a good ST player but if you are going to be a Hybrid FB you need to block well.  He's a so so blocker.   I wouldn't have a problem if they drafted him, just not sure the hybrid role fits him as a blocker.  Good receiver though.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Hypothetical....if NE offered pick 34 for Doubs, would you do it?

I would consider it but would hate to do that to Romeo because I really like him. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Depends on the board but I'm assuming it's a pull the trigger now type of move, yes?

Yes.  Say NE misses out on the WR they have rated highly and offer 68 for Doubs.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Hypothetical....if NE offered pick 68 for Doubs, would you do it?

No, Doubs is too valuable and does a lot of the dirty work.  He can catch in a crowd.  He might be the heart of our WR room.  

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes.  Say NE misses out on the WR they have rated highly and offer 68 for Doubs.

Yeah would depend on the board. I believe in Wicks enough to fill the Doubs role, Bo Melton or even Grant DuBose to fill the Wicks role and then our ability to find a day 3 WR (Bub Means) to step into the Melton role for 2024. Doubs is good but not indispensable. 

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I would draft Michael Pratt, Jordan Travis, Austin Reed, Kedon Slovis, and Tua's little brother before I would take Joe Milton.

Milton's down there with Hartman in the "gets a try-out invite" tier.

So he's Rex Grossman 2.0?

10 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

So he's Rex Grossman 2.0?

I don't remember Grossman, the college player very well, but the story on Milton is simple: he's a physical specimen who throws a very pretty ball and is wildly erratic as a passer being able to throw with neither touch nor timing.  I simply do not see a path to fixing his issues.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
what kind of messageboard doesn't let you use [b][/b] tags for bold?

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'd dispute the "average at best" statement.  He's clearly above average.  So far above average that we just moved on from a first ballot HOF quarterback....and made the playoffs the next season.  

His selection of Love paid off immediately with MVP seasons from Rodgers....and then we were able to transition from Rodgers to Love very quickly.

And we got our QB without mortgaging the future via multiple draft picks.  We just took the kid that had the skills we wanted when he was close to our pick.

As I said and agree the last 2 drafts have been far above average.  They were excellent.  That doesn't change the fact that his earlier drafts weren't above average.

2018 - Brought in Jaire and MVS.   1 plus player and a Meh starter.

2019 - Better- Gary, Jenkins and Savage.  2 plus players and a meh starter.

2020 - Love, Runyan, Dillon.  1 plus/plus player. 1 average starter, backup running back

2021 - Myers, Slaton, Stokes.  Starting center(not a plus starter), decent run plug Dl, backup CB who can't stay on the field.

Those 4 drafts are not how championship teams are built.  It is not unkind to call them average at best.  

The last 2 drafts were so good we are now set up well for the future.  Nothing I typed was a negative toward Gute or the Packers outlook for the future. 

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't remember Grossman, the college player very well, but the story on Milton is simple: he's a physical specimen who throws a very pretty ball and is wildly erratic as a passer being able to throw with neither touch nor timing.  I simply do not see a path to fixing his issues.

I was pondering if the dude was really incapable of learning from his deficiencies and developing... y'know, like how ol' Rex never learned not to keep throwing Dragons.

2 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Only for stapler jokes

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Hypothetical....if NE offered pick 68 for Doubs, would you do it?

That's a hell no.  #34 have no choice gotta do it.  #68 isn't enough for what Doubs brings to the table.  Anyone if favor of this go back and watch the Dallas game.