2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I just have a hard time giving up a productive guy on a rookie contract for a non-premium pick.  And it's not that I think that Romeo Doubs is anything special, but he's a productive WR and he's cheap.

I agree I just would count 34 as premium range for WR. Just on this roster that gives you Watson and Reed, going back if also gives you Jennings, Nelson, and Adams.

I cleaned up on a mockdraftdatabase draft tonight.

Fautauna, nubin, edgerin cooper, payton willis, javon bullard, will shipley, elijah jones, cedrick johnson, tip reiman, kristian boyd, tory taylor, bub means. Plus i acquired LV and KC 2025 first round picks

5 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

I thought tip reiman looked like the most natural hback in the class, maybe wouldnt mind him in the 5th

I've seen him listed as a 7th/UDFA guy, would not be shocked if he goes a great deal higher. He makes sense for us in the late fifth to make sure we get him.

He's a regular for me in mock simulators.

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

I cleaned up on a mockdraftdatabase draft tonight.

Fautauna, nubin, edgerin cooper, payton willis, javon bullard, will shipley, elijah jones, cedrick johnson, tip reiman, kristian boyd, tory taylor, bub means. Plus i acquired LV and KC 2025 first round picks

Went nuts and also picked up a 2025 2,4,4,4,5,6,6,6

3 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

What's the most draft capital you'd give to move and for who would it be for?

Looking at all mock drafts, and running a bunch of the sims, I am comfortable just waiting for what is there at 25.  I think the draft would have to go pretty disastrous for us not to get someone we are comfortable with.  Whether that is a DL, OL, or CB, one always seems to be there.  And I am not sure that we have the ammo to realistically get to a blue-chip guy.

Where I really like the idea of moving is using some of our post 150 picks to move up in the third a little bit.  We could jump on our favorite inside backer, or running back by moving up a few spots in the third.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I just have a hard time giving up a productive guy on a rookie contract for a non-premium pick.  And it's not that I think that Romeo Doubs is anything special, but he's a productive WR and he's cheap.

The opposite side of this is that there are going to be some good WR prospects available at pick 68 (3.04) so why would another team even want to trade for Doubs when they can simply take their top rated WR at 68 and keep the 4 years of control? It's not like Doubs has lit up the league. 

I wouldn't be critical of Gute at all if he traded Doubs for 68 and went WR with the pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

The opposite side of this is that there are going to be some good WR prospects available at pick 68 (3.04) so why would another team even want to trade for Doubs when they can simply take their top rated WR at 68 and keep the 4 years of control? It's not like Doubs has lit up the league. 

I wouldn't be critical of Gute at all if he traded Doubs for 68 and went WR with the pick.

The board actually dries up pretty damn quickly when it comes to WRs, especially that late in the draft.  These are the top 3 WRs drafted in the 3rd round the last several years.

2023 - Tank Dell, Jalin Hyatt, Cedric Tillman
2022 - Velus Jones, Jalen Tolbert, David Bell
2021 - Josh Palmer, Dyami Brown, Amari Rodgers
2020 - Lynn Bowden, Bryan Edwards, Devin Duvernay

Other than Tank Dell and maybe Josh Palmer, most have struggled to be legitimate NFL players.  Again, I'm not saying Romeo Doubs is anything special, but you're trading him away hoping to get someone like him.  That just seems kinda pointless to me.

33 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm looking at this draft specifically.  I'm not going to take issue with Gute choosing 4 years of a cheap Polk/Rice type over two years of cheap Doubs.

Two years out of a guy you know you are going to get production out of vs. 4 years or an unknown, I'll pass. Also, the fact is these rookies have to get on the field. Not a given when the competition is Watson, Reed, Wicks, Melton and Heath. 

So, your 4 years very well might turn into two years on the bench and two years of mediocrity. 

I'm running with the 'devil' I know. 

46 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Two years out of a guy you know you are going to get production out of vs. 4 years or an unknown, I'll pass. Also, the fact is these rookies have to get on the field. Not a given when the competition is Watson, Reed, Wicks, Melton and Heath. 

So, your 4 years very well might turn into two years on the bench and two years of mediocrity. 

I'm running with the 'devil' I know. 

I think both sides of the decision are easy to justify. In a world where we actually knew Gute was offered 68 for Doubs, I would be fine with whatever decision he made.

• Like 1