2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think both sides of the decision are easy to justify. In a world where we actually knew Gute was offered 68 for Doubs, I would be fine with whatever decision he made.

I'd be in the "trade him" camp for some of the same reasons people say not to. 

For example, the argument that a rookie might not be able to break into the rotation is a sign that maybe getting two more years of control on a player is better than feeding into the current logjam. 

Also, this year's WR crop is very deep with our types of receivers. I think we're planning on taking one in day 2 anyway. 

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Looking at all mock drafts, and running a bunch of the sims, I am comfortable just waiting for what is there at 25.  I think the draft would have to go pretty disastrous for us not to get someone we are comfortable with.  Whether that is a DL, OL, or CB, one always seems to be there.  And I am not sure that we have the ammo to realistically get to a blue-chip guy.

Where I really like the idea of moving is using some of our post 150 picks to move up in the third a little bit.  We could jump on our favorite inside backer, or running back by moving up a few spots in the third.

I

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Looking at all mock drafts, and running a bunch of the sims, I am comfortable just waiting for what is there at 25.  I think the draft would have to go pretty disastrous for us not to get someone we are comfortable with.  Whether that is a DL, OL, or CB, one always seems to be there.  And I am not sure that we have the ammo to realistically get to a blue-chip guy.

Where I really like the idea of moving is using some of our post 150 picks to move up in the third a little bit.  We could jump on our favorite inside backer, or running back by moving up a few spots in the third.

Agree, I don't see a major move up, but I could see a slight move up to say 20-22 range if there's somebody they really like.

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I

Agree, I don't see a major move up, but I could see a slight move up to say 20-22 range if there's somebody they really like.

I could see it for either Terrion Arnold or Quinyon Mitchell if they drop to that spot.  But they would really have to like them.  And being honest, I am not convinced either is a better fit than Max Melton a little later.  

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I could see it for either Terrion Arnold or Quinyon Mitchell if they drop to that spot.  But they would really have to like them.  And being honest, I am not convinced either is a better fit than Max Melton a little later.  

I'd be VERY surprised if Quinyon Mitchell was even remotely close to being available.  He's going to be CB1 off the board IMO, and we've only seen the first CB go off the board after the 20th pick once since 2001 when DeAndre Baker went off the board 30th in 2019.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be VERY surprised if Quinyon Mitchell was even remotely close to being available.  He's going to be CB1 off the board IMO, and we've only seen the first CB go off the board after the 20th pick once since 2001 when DeAndre Baker went off the board 30th in 2019.

I'd be surprised if either he or Arnold made it to striking distance. Both will likely be gone by 15, definitely by 20. 

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I'd be surprised if either he or Arnold made it to striking distance. Both will likely be gone by 15, definitely by 20. 

I think there's a better chance of Arnold being available, but I think he's more likely to go in that 14-22 range.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't expect it either, like @Sandy said, they might not even be within striking distance.  But I think those are the two guys that I think the team may move up for, if they slip to around 20.  And to build on what I said earlier, we are hoping for WRs and QBs to go off the board.  If a lot of them do, there will probably be a OL, or DL that we really would like, and your mileage may vary on the CBs that would likely still be on the board.  

I still think our best bang for our buck would be to move up from one of our end of third round picks to around 70-75 to target a player in that range.  I don't know how religious the teams are with the value boards, but 88+102+202 could get us about to Denver at 76; or 88 + 91 could get us to 64 with KC.  Then it is just a matter of who or what do you target.  

I used this as the trade value chart.  I don't know how accurate these things are. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=GB

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The opposite side of this is that there are going to be some good WR prospects available at pick 68 (3.04) so why would another team even want to trade for Doubs when they can simply take their top rated WR at 68 and keep the 4 years of control? It's not like Doubs has lit up the league. 

I wouldn't be critical of Gute at all if he traded Doubs for 68 and went WR with the pick.

Teams that suck at drafting WR might.  Maybe the WR they rate highly are all gone.

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'd split that a bit to DL (thinking Murphy here), OT Fuaga, OT/G Fautanu, OT/G/C Barton, G/C Powers Johnson, CB McKinstry, S/CB DeJean, maybe even Edge Chop Robinson is a target in the new 4-3 system.

That idea of trading up from 88 using some later draft capital is a nice one. There could very well be nice choices there at ILB and RB as you mentioned, but also at safety.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandy said:

I'd be in the "trade him" camp for some of the same reasons people say not to. 

For example, the argument that a rookie might not be able to break into the rotation is a sign that maybe getting two more years of control on a player is better than feeding into the current logjam. 

Also, this year's WR crop is very deep with our types of receivers. I think we're planning on taking one in day 2 anyway. 

It sounds like you think we’re at least 4 deep at WR but something will have to give at some point and you’d consider making space in the log jam.

I’d like you to consider that a lot will change over the next two years before any of these deals come up. In all likelihood, at least one of our top few guys will have troubles in a way or another that creates the space trading away one of them would produce.

Doubs is WR1 and clutch AF for Love. I don’t want to try to fix what isn’t broken with the window open.

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

If you do a ton of mock drafts (as I do), you often find one or more guys you really like for pick 25, going 1-3 picks before 25, whether it is DeJean, Powers-Johnson, Murphy, Fautanu, etc etc. Quite like Fuaga at RT and Tom moving to center, too (and Tom could shift over to play RT or LT if needed due to injury).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

It sounds like you think we’re at least 4 deep at WR but something will have to give at some point and you’d consider making space in the log jam.

I’d like you to consider that a lot will change over the next two years before any of these deals come up. In all likelihood, at least one of our top few guys will have troubles in a way or another that creates the space trading away one of them would produce.

Doubs is WR1 and clutch AF for Love. I don’t want to try to fix what isn’t broken with the window open.

Im not sure id consider Doubs WR1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

As @squire12 said, it's a stretch calling Doubs our WR1. If all three are healthy, Watson is 1, Reed is 2. 

Whereas with pick 68, we'll have more draft flexibility and will STILL draft an early-ish WR.

Around this time last year people were saying that Toure was fine as our WR3. He fell right off the depth chart. Doubs is likeable and an easy fan-favorite, but as a WR he's really the kind of guy you're always trying to to upgrade. 

This is all hypothetical anyway of course.

Edited by Sandy

8 minutes ago, Sandy said:

As @squire12 said, it's a stretch calling Doubs our WR1. If all three are healthy, Watson is 1, Reed is 2. 

Whereas with pick 68, we'll have more draft flexibility and will STILL draft an early-ish WR.

Around this time last year people were saying that Toure was fine as our WR3. He fell right off the depth chart. Doubs is likeable and an easy fan-favorite, but as a WR he's really the kind of guy you're always trying to to upgrade. 

This is all hypothetical anyway of course.

I feel like that was partly me, but I also think it was a bit misunderstood.  Toure hadn't yet had the game become too big for him.  He produced at two college levels, and did pretty well in his few chances at the NFL level both in preseason and in the regular season.  Last season, he didn't make the most of his opportunities in the way that Bo Melon and Malik Heath did.  But the thinking (at least mine) was that if the board just falls to crap and there are no WRs that fall where we want to pick them, there is no need to panic, Toure could be a satisfactory role player given enough targets.  It wasn't meant to be that we are set, more so that we wouldn't be totally boned.