2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

32 minutes ago, R T said:

Thanks for the unsolicited advice.

Just take note. You're making snide add on comments about other posters isnt necessary. Either agree or disagree with their take....or dont comment at all. Point made. Moving on.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just take note. You're making snide add on comments about other posters isnt necessary. Either agree or disagree with their take....or dont comment at all. Point made. Moving on.

It grinds his gears so much that people have the audacity to think they know things about football. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Those drafts are far from average.

Just finding a franchise QB while not having to trade multiple firsts is a huge accomplishment.

And that pick led to 2 more MVP years from Rodgers.  

But, that is just my line of thought.  When you build a roster and go pretty seamlessly from a future HOF QB to a young kid who leads you to more wins in his first season....that is the mark of a great GM.

Everything else is nice and functional around that choice of Love, but that was THE big one.  And he flat out nailed it.

1 pick covers 4 drafts that are average?   That's where we need to agree to disagree.

The Love pick turns out good, but including AR MVP's doesn't make any sense.   That is working hard to find a way to give out a better grade than what was deserved.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It grinds his gears so much that people have the audacity to think they know things about football. 

LOL, see that you are still butt hurt because I don't treat you like the all-knowing oracle you so badly wish to be perceived as. 😂 

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

5 minutes ago, R T said:

LOL, see that you are still butt hurt because I don't treat you like the all-knowing oracle you so badly wish to be perceived as. 😂 

He doesn't need anyone defending him, but that is not the way I perceive him whatsoever. 

The fact is, he does know a lot about football. 

I actually remember when you provided your thoughts on football rather than reducing yourself to one-liner grenades. You actually are better than that, but you do you. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He doesn't need anyone defending him, but that is not the way I perceive him whatsoever. 

The fact is, he does know a lot about football. 

I actually remember when you provided your thoughts on football rather than reducing yourself to one-liner grenades. You actually are better than that, but you do you. 

I grind his gears because I have opinions and don't bow to the 32 football overlord GMs that we couldn't possibly hold a candle to.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Joe Milton doesn't process at an NFL or barely a collegiate level. It's why he failed at Michigan and had to go to a simplified one read offense like Tennessee. Let that dream die. 

But he can come in and throw 80 yard Hail Marys at the end of half’s….:)

18 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

1 pick covers 4 drafts that are average?   That's where we need to agree to disagree.

The Love pick turns out good, but including AR MVP's doesn't make any sense.   That is working hard to find a way to give out a better grade than what was deserved.

Jaire, Elgton, Gary, Love...?

Hitting on a Franchise QB makes any draft an A+. Look at how many teams spend an insane amount of draft capital on finding a franchise QB. The fact that Gute hit on a franchise QB his 1st swing and didn't even have the benefit of a premium 1st round pick to do it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Notice that I didn't say anything about myself on Wicks 😉

Come on, we are all supposed to bicker at each other!

Wicks was an easy one to point for the Packers.  Good thing he is also really easy one to like too.

You all need to bow down to MY WR scouting abilities.  I was all about Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Puka Nacua, Andre Iosivas.

(just forget about the two Arkansas guys last year that didn't even get drafted and Equanimeous)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Jaire, Elgton, Gary, Love...?

Hitting on a Franchise QB makes any draft an A+. Look at how many teams spend an insane amount of draft capital on finding a franchise QB. The fact that Gute hit on a franchise QB his 1st swing and didn't even have the benefit of a premium 1st round pick to do it. 

I don't think hitting on Love makes 4 average drafts exceptional.   They were average.  You named 3 other plus players in 4 drafts.   1 plus player per year isn't good enough to win in the NFL.   That is my point.  I don't know why this is even controversial.

The last 2 drafts are exceptional.   Drafts like these are what propel teams to being winners.  

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Yes.  We are going to disagree.

Because that one selection changed everything in Green Bay.  We got immediate excellent play from our QB.  And it resulted in MVP's and playoff wins (and ultimate playoff losses).

And since we were winning, the draft picks were towards the end of the rounds.  And still we found enough talent to make sure that when we went with our young QB, we could still compete at a high level.

Then, of course, Gute found his next quarterback.

Like look.  I remember you weren't a fan of Gute.  But this is a QB driven league.  Gute took us from one HOF QB to another (potential) franchise QB without the really bad year and without mortgaging future first round picks.

Look at the NFL.  Those things do not happen.  The Love pick should have solidified Gute as an upper level GM. 

Now the question becomes....can he keep moving the team and roster forward? 

54 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I grind his gears because I have opinions and don't bow to the 32 football overlord GMs that we couldn't possibly hold a candle to.

31.  #GuteSux

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.  We are going to disagree.

Because that one selection changed everything in Green Bay.  We got immediate excellent play from our QB.  And it resulted in MVP's and playoff wins (and ultimate playoff losses).

And since we were winning, the draft picks were towards the end of the rounds.  And still we found enough talent to make sure that when we went with our young QB, we could still compete at a high level.

Then, of course, Gute found his next quarterback.

Like look.  I remember you weren't a fan of Gute.  But this is a QB driven league.  Gute took us from one HOF QB to another (potential) franchise QB without the really bad year and without mortgaging future first round picks.

Look at the NFL.  Those things do not happen.  The Love pick should have solidified Gute as an upper level GM. 

Now the question becomes....can he keep moving the team and roster forward? 

I wasn't a fan of early Gute.  I think Gute handled both Rodgers and the draft wrong in his early years.  He finally has put that behind him and is now doing a great job.   I'm a fan now but can't forget the many mistakes made up front and pretend they didn't exist.

That has changed in the last 2 years now that he has finally handled moving on from AR and had2 excellent drafts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hitnhope said:

I wasn't a fan of early Gute.  I think Gute handled both Rodgers and the draft wrong in his early years.  He finally has put that behind him and is now doing a great job.   I'm a fan now but can't forget the many mistakes made up front and pretend they didn't exist.

That has changed in the last 2 years now that he has finally handled moving on from AR and had2 excellent drafts.

Has he?

Or has Love made those picks look better?

I mean, in the last two drafts, we've drafted a bunch of WR's and TE's.  We love them, no doubt.  But who has stood out to be a star?  Maybe Reed.  Love has made them all look good.  He even made Bo Melton look like he belonged in the NFL after being on a practice squad somewhere.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.  But, Gute has always been Gute.  Picks work or don't work based on a lot of different things.  Love has made those receivers all look good because of how he plays QB.

So again, we go back to that pick being a critical point in Gute's GM career.  Not only did it propel Rodgers forward and wins forward, now it is even helping with the development of other skill positions.

I mean we all like to think we know a lot about football (my self included) and we do to an extent but there was a low level scout on here a while ago who was just so very clearly levels on levels on levels more knowledgeable than all of us it should be a constant reminder that we really aren't that smart and shouldn't take any of our opinions that seriously. 

• Like 3