2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

6 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I mean we all like to think we know a lot about football (my self included) and we do to an extent but there was a low level scout on here a while ago who was just so very clearly levels on levels on levels more knowledgeable than all of us it should be a constant reminder that we really aren't that smart and shouldn't take any of our opinions that seriously. 

ca429f41de37b880f6f7ef34380ff2c9.gif

If anything, the scout takes confirm there is no consensus on most of these guys.  We won't know who's right until a few years down the road, and even with their extra knowledge, scouts have their hits and misses just like we do.

• Like 1

i've been watching RB highlights today. I don't think its an elite RB class but there's plenty of solid RBs to find.

I haven't quite found an Aaron Jones type yet despite people saying there's lots. The closest in terms of body type is Jaylen Wright but they are polar opposites in terms of style. Wright is fast in a straight line but little wiggle. Jones isn't fast in a straight line but has lots of wiggle.

The best RB in this class imo is Trey Benson. He's the only one (so far) with the blend of size/speed/power combo. Physically he looks like a poor man's Adrian Peterson with his upright and direct running style. Gute likes bigger backs and his style also fits LaFleur's offence. Have to believe he is high on their draft board.

In the next category, all bunched together, is Estime, Corum, Ray Davis, Jaylen Wright. My favourites are Corum and Davis but I cannot separate the two, really like them both. They have that outstanding contact balance which for me is an incredibly important trait for RBs. For the Packers I think Davis would be a good fit in our offence.

I've just realised I haven't seen Brooks yet. Don't know how I missed him.

Next tier below is Vidal and Lloyd. Like them both. Both have some flaws. I would say Vidal is a better stylistic fit for the Packers.

Again all grouped together. Milton, Guerendo, Tracey and Irving. Milton is a very uncreative RB. Just one cut and go. Guerendo feels extremely one-paced, he does everything at one speed no matter what the situation, he lacks that rhythm that the best backs have. Tracey has more wiggle than the other two, his style feels more natural. Irving very small but is shifty as f*ck however he bounces outside alot and takes alot of unnecessary hits. I would say in terms of Packers fit...its probably Milton.

I've put Braelon Allen in a different category, 3rd down back. Might be controversial, whilst I love the power he runs at I don't think he's quick or agile enough to be a bell cow in the NFL. However I think he would make an excellent 3rd down back. He runs a very physical style which makes him ideal for short yardage situations, he has the size to hold up in pass pro and I think he's capable of catching passes. Having said that I honestly don't see the point drafting him when we have Dillon.

Other than Brooks are there any other RBs I need to watch?

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Has he?

Or has Love made those picks look better?

I mean, in the last two drafts, we've drafted a bunch of WR's and TE's.  We love them, no doubt.  But who has stood out to be a star?  Maybe Reed.  Love has made them all look good.  He even made Bo Melton look like he belonged in the NFL after being on a practice squad somewhere.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.  But, Gute has always been Gute.  Picks work or don't work based on a lot of different things.  Love has made those receivers all look good because of how he plays QB.

So again, we go back to that pick being a critical point in Gute's GM career.  Not only did it propel Rodgers forward and wins forward, now it is even helping with the development of other skill positions.

Dang- We're a one-man team!  If Love gets hurt, we won't win a game?  He's carrying everyone else?

The last two drafts really weren't that good, but Love's excellence makes them playable?

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

I mean we all like to think we know a lot about football (my self included) and we do to an extent but there was a low level scout on here a while ago who was just so very clearly levels on levels on levels more knowledgeable than all of us it should be a constant reminder that we really aren't that smart and shouldn't take any of our opinions that seriously. 

Yet we have some here that believe and have openly stated in the last couple of hours that they believe that they are smarter about football than NFL GM's.

So, there is that element here on this forum.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

i've been watching RB highlights today. I don't think its an elite RB class but there's plenty of solid RBs to find.

I haven't quite found an Aaron Jones type yet despite people saying there's lots. The closest in terms of body type is Jaylen Wright but they are polar opposites in terms of style. Wright is fast in a straight line but little wiggle. Jones isn't fast in a straight line but has lots of wiggle.

The best RB in this class imo is Trey Burton. He's the only one (so far) with the blend of size/speed/power combo. Physically he looks like a poor man's Adrian Peterson with his upright and direct running style. Gute likes bigger backs and his style also fits LaFleur's offence. Have to believe he is high on their draft board.

In the next category, all bunched together, is Estime, Corum, Ray Davis, Jaylen Wright. My favourites are Corum and Davis but I cannot separate the two, really like them both. They have that outstanding contact balance which for me is an incredibly important trait for RBs. For the Packers I think Davis would be a good fit in our offence.

Next tier below is Vidal and Lloyd. Like them both. Both have some flaws. I would say Vidal is a better stylistic fit for the Packers.

Again all grouped together. Milton, Guerendo, Tracey and Irving. Milton is a very uncreative RB. Just one cut and go. Guerendo feels extremely one-paced, he does everything at one speed no matter what the situation, he lacks that rhythm that the best backs have. Tracey has more wiggle than the other two, his style feels more natural. Irving very small but is shifty as f*ck however he bounces outside alot and takes alot of unnecessary hits. I would say in terms of Packers fit...its probably Milton.

I've put Braelon Allen in a different category, 3rd down back. Might be controversial, whilst I love the power he runs at I don't think he's quick or agile enough to be a bell cow in the NFL. However I think he would make an excellent 3rd down back. I think he could be the best 3rd down back in the draft. He runs a very physical style which makes him ideal for short yardage situations, he has the size to hold up in pass pro and I think he's capable of catching passes. Having said that I honestly don't see the point drafting him when we have Dillon.

I do like Benson a lot.  I like his feet and contact balance.  I look for guys who can get through trash.  There's lots of guys who go untouched through holes you can drive a truck through.  You can find that with nearly every RB in the country.  Give me the guy who makes things happen, can break the tackle, stop and start, and make something out of nothing.  Benson and Brooks can do that IMO.  Both have had or have knee injuries.  I wouldn't mind either one, but the knee stuff might be a dealbreaker for GB?

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

The best RB in this class imo is Trey Benson. He's the only one (so far) with the blend of size/speed/power combo. Physically he looks like a poor man's Adrian Peterson with his upright and direct running style. Gute likes bigger backs and his style also fits LaFleur's offence. Have to believe he is high on their draft board.

I've put Braelon Allen in a different category, 3rd down back. Might be controversial, whilst I love the power he runs at I don't think he's quick or agile enough to be a bell cow in the NFL. However I think he would make an excellent 3rd down back. He runs a very physical style which makes him ideal for short yardage situations, he has the size to hold up in pass pro and I think he's capable of catching passes. Having said that I honestly don't see the point drafting him when we have Dillon.

Me, I would love to see how either Shipley or Rasheen Ali would roll backing up Jacobs

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

I do like Benson a lot.  I like his feet and contact balance.  I look for guys who can get through trash.  There's lots of guys who go untouched through holes you can drive a truck through.  You can find that with nearly every RB in the country.  Give me the guy who makes things happen, can break the tackle, stop and start, and make something out of nothing.  Benson and Brooks can do that IMO.  Both have had or have knee injuries.  I wouldn't mind either one, but the knee stuff might be a dealbreaker for GB?

I see Corum and Davis having those traits you describe, just a little on the shorter side.

I have my concerns with Jaylen Wright regarding this but his speed is such that if there's any opening and he hits the hole...he's gone. He's worth drafting for his speed alone but I do have major concerns for his lack of wiggle. He doesn't try to fool defenders, he just simply tries to run past the defender as quickly as possible which makes him predictable and easier to tackle. This doesn't work in tight situations which Aaron Jones excels at.