2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

31 minutes ago, R T said:

Yet we have some here that believe and have openly stated in the last couple of hours that they believe that they are smarter about football than NFL GM's.

So, there is that element here on this forum.   

Nobody believes that lol. It's jokes. Loosen your *******.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chili said:

Aaron Jones type

It's genuinely a mystery to me if "an Aaron Jones type" is what LaFleur wants, or if it's simply what he made the best with because that's what he already had on the roster.  In his time with the Packers, the only RBs they've drafted were Dexter Williams, AJ Dillon, Kylin Hill, and Lew Nichols and none of those guys were especially "Aaron Jones-like."

Heck, in LaFleur's previous stints as an OC his RBs were Todd Gurley and Derrick Henry, who aren't like Aaron Jones.

So I half wonder if people wondering "who is going to replace Aaron Jones' role" is like when people were asking who was going to replace Randall Cobb's role, when the answer was really "we don't really want to feature that skill set in particular."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Dang- We're a one-man team!  If Love gets hurt, we won't win a game?  He's carrying everyone else?

The last two drafts really weren't that good, but Love's excellence makes them playable?

Well, considering the first WR to get 100 yards was on a practice squad the year prior, I'd say that Love did an amazing job with those young receivers and didn't lock into just one guy.

So yeah, I'd say that Love was a huge reason (and MLF) as to why those WR's and TE's looked so good.

And...Love was the critical pick of the Gute era.  Saying Gute is just okay is really doing him a disservice. 

Yes, if Jordan Love gets hurt and Sean Clifford is forced to start, there's a very real chance we do not win a football game the rest of the year because Sean Clifford is living, breathing *** water.

42 minutes ago, R T said:

Yet we have some here that believe and have openly stated in the last couple of hours that they believe that they are smarter about football than NFL GM's.

So, there is that element here on this forum.   

If that's your honest take-away from these posts, it's no wonder you are wound so tight.  You genuinely aren't getting what's going on here.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Chili said:

I see Corum and Davis having those traits you describe, just a little on the shorter side.

I have my concerns with Jaylen Wright regarding this but his speed is such that if there's any opening and he hits the hole...he's gone. He's worth drafting for his speed alone but I do have major concerns for his lack of wiggle. He doesn't try to fool defenders, he just simply tries to run past the defender as quickly as possible which makes him predictable and easier to tackle. This doesn't work in tight situations which Aaron Jones excels at.

Agree on Wright, it's a race with him, I like him, but often the holes aren't there at the next level.  Little vision and creativity.  Guys got wheels though.

The issue with Corum is in the receiving game.  He's not a great receiver and the pass blocking is atrocious. We'll see.

Edited by NFLGURU

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree on Wright, it's a race with him, I like him, but often the holes aren't there at the next level.  Little vision and creativity.  Guys got wheels though.

The issue with Corum is in the receiving game.  He's not a great receiver and the pass blocking is atrocious. We'll see.

I dont know about Wright struggling at the next level. The guy's got some scoot to him!
Oh....and stay away from Corum. That's all  :)

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's genuinely a mystery to me if "an Aaron Jones type" is what LaFleur wants, or if it's simply what he made the best with because that's what he already had on the roster.  In his time with the Packers, the only RBs they've drafted were Dexter Williams, AJ Dillon, Kylin Hill, and Lew Nichols and none of those guys were especially "Aaron Jones-like."

Heck, in LaFleur's previous stints as an OC his RBs were Todd Gurley and Derrick Henry, who aren't like Aaron Jones.

So I half wonder if people wondering "who is going to replace Aaron Jones' role" is like when people were asking who was going to replace Randall Cobb's role, when the answer was really "we don't really want to feature that skill set in particular."

You're not wrong. They do like their bigger backs, especially Gute.

Briefly there was this belief that Jacobs and Jones would compliment each other well until our hearts was ripped out of our chests mere hours later.

If that idea is still true then getting an "Aaron Jones" type is still valid in our eyes.

We got a bell cow in Jacobs, a big back in Dillon so it stands to reason that to have more variation in our rushing game the 3rd running back can be a little shorter and quicker like Jones.

If the Packers wants to get bigger then imo we need to get faster. One of the main gripes about Aaron Jones is that he didn't quite have the speed to pull away from defenders when he got open, there was a number of missed TD opportunities because of that shortcoming, especially in playoff games. If we're going to upgrade something then it would be for more speed. That's why Trey Benson is at the top of my list.

After Benson our options are limited. Maybe Jalen Wright.

If we're willing to sacrifice size for a little more speed then perhaps Ray Davis might be a solid choice.

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Dang- We're a one-man team!  If Love gets hurt, we won't win a game?  He's carrying everyone else?

The last two drafts really weren't that good, but Love's excellence makes them playable?

In all fairness we were 1-7 (a missed FG away from being 0-8) in games last year when Jordan Love threw an interception. That's like not very good.

I watched this guy's high lights a few days ago....and just posted his name in here....but this guy runs all the routes.

I mean...this guy's a RB....but look at all the different passes he catches. He's all over the field.

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont know about Wright struggling at the next level. The guy's got some scoot to him!
Oh....and stay away from Corum. That's all  :)

No question on Wrights speed.  "If he's even, he's leavin"

23 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Tyrone Tracy would be a great Jones replacement. 

I kinda like him. However he is a 6th yr senior. Turning 25 in November.

I didn't know his combine time when I watched his highlights. I actually typed down  "not going to beat people in a footrace" 🤣

I like his confidence and felt he had a good level of wiggle to his game to extend plays. He feels natural as a RB.