2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm simultaneously confident that:

(1) I don't have as much information as any NFL GM

(2) If I did, I'd be better than at least 1 (probably more) of them at their job. 

There are always a couple, at least, who are very bad at their job. 

Like the line from Rounders, "if you don't know who the sucker is at the table, it's you!" 

2 hours ago, Chili said:

i've been watching RB highlights today. I don't think its an elite RB class but there's plenty of solid RBs to find.

I haven't quite found an Aaron Jones type yet despite people saying there's lots. The closest in terms of body type is Jaylen Wright but they are polar opposites in terms of style. Wright is fast in a straight line but little wiggle. Jones isn't fast in a straight line but has lots of wiggle.

The best RB in this class imo is Trey Benson. He's the only one (so far) with the blend of size/speed/power combo. Physically he looks like a poor man's Adrian Peterson with his upright and direct running style. Gute likes bigger backs and his style also fits LaFleur's offence. Have to believe he is high on their draft board.

In the next category, all bunched together, is Estime, Corum, Ray Davis, Jaylen Wright. My favourites are Corum and Davis but I cannot separate the two, really like them both. They have that outstanding contact balance which for me is an incredibly important trait for RBs. For the Packers I think Davis would be a good fit in our offence.

I've just realised I haven't seen Brooks yet. Don't know how I missed him.

Next tier below is Vidal and Lloyd. Like them both. Both have some flaws. I would say Vidal is a better stylistic fit for the Packers.

Again all grouped together. Milton, Guerendo, Tracey and Irving. Milton is a very uncreative RB. Just one cut and go. Guerendo feels extremely one-paced, he does everything at one speed no matter what the situation, he lacks that rhythm that the best backs have. Tracey has more wiggle than the other two, his style feels more natural. Irving very small but is shifty as f*ck however he bounces outside alot and takes alot of unnecessary hits. I would say in terms of Packers fit...its probably Milton.

I've put Braelon Allen in a different category, 3rd down back. Might be controversial, whilst I love the power he runs at I don't think he's quick or agile enough to be a bell cow in the NFL. However I think he would make an excellent 3rd down back. He runs a very physical style which makes him ideal for short yardage situations, he has the size to hold up in pass pro and I think he's capable of catching passes. Having said that I honestly don't see the point drafting him when we have Dillon.

Other than Brooks are there any other RBs I need to watch?

Jones was a mid round pick and turned out a gem .. who says that won't happen again?  Pacheco was a 7th rounder and he surprised big time.  Since no RB is highly "rated" this year, somebody will surprise for sure.  Bites of the apple may apply here.  11 draft picks .. use a couple to find that next guy maybe?  

The age thing matters, but not necessarily in the way people are seeing it.  Where age makes the biggest difference is "how old were you when you broke out" since if you're beating guys because you're just more physically developed than they are since you're 23 and they're 19 then that is absolutely not going to transfer to the NFL.  This is a thing teams have gotten into trouble with before, like in 2011 the Eagles spent a first round pick on Danny Watkins who just mauled people at Baylor, in large part because he was 26 years old.  Turns out, that when your best trick is "outphysical the guy" it doesn't work that well when they have spent as much time in the weight room as you have.

I think the thing with older RBs is that if you're fine with their skillset transfering, they aren't necessarily players you intend to sign to a second contract anyway after a certain point in the draft.  It's like drafting a guy who has a degenerative joint condition, once it becomes a problem then it's not necessarily your problem anymore.

The Packers value the age thing sure, but it's a thing you'd give up later in the draft.  I mean, they did draft Kyler Fackrell who was older

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

In all fairness we were 1-7 (a missed FG away from being 0-8) in games last year when Jordan Love threw an interception. That's like not very good.

In all fairness .. you aren't being fair.  Offensive line struggling early on, youngest wr's by far in the league along with 2 rookie tight ends.  Jones being hurt 1/2 of the year didn't help with a defense coordinator that didn't have a clue.  So when Love throws an interception that's the reason they lost they game?  That thinking is like not very good.  LOL  

Edited by coachbuns

38 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm not a fan of Shipley even though he shows some good stuff.

He's a try hard RB who doesn't know how to avoid hits. I don't like the way he moves. I don't like the fact he looks like he has a WR type body playing at RB.

He does have some nice wiggle at times but is more of a quick, direct runner. Useful as a receiver. Don't think much of him running between the tackles but shows good stuff bouncing outside.

I don't think he improves our rushing attack tbh.

Agree, Shipley is like a third down back, he might be a decent back somewhere in the NFL it just isn't what GB does.  Green Bay will look for a guy who can replace a Josh Jacobs if he goes down.  You can't run Shipley up the middle, he has one of the worst yards after contact numbers in the NCAA. He doesn't move piles or have the power to break tackles.  He doesn't offer enough for what Green Bay would want him for, A backup for Jacobs.  Some team will take him for what he does and he'll be fine.  

Jacobs goes down in Nov and you got Shipley in as the next man up as your running threat?  NO,   he'll be fine in another teams role but unless Gute changes his running back MO, I don't expect him in GB.  Hard worker, GREAT community guy..  He'll probably be one of those Walter Payton Award nominees someday.

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Wait you mean we shouldn't be in awe of these geniuses that keep the bottom 10 teams in the league in perpetual roster hell? You're trying to tell me you wouldn't pass on 2 firsts for Brian Burns to trade him for a 2nd less than a year later!?

Some folks live in 1975 when the college games weren't on TV, the Combine was a private event, all 22 was the number of channels the lucky kid got with his antenna, and the draft itself was something you read a paragraph about in the paper. Yeah at that point in time a fan couldn't get close to having accurate opinions on players. Today? We have so much access, and some of us still have contacts that get us more than the common person. We'll never get medical or interview abilities and every take comes with an asterisk that it could greatly alter an eval to have that info.

For me it's a combination of things, none of which are my personal ability to consistently identify good football players. But I bet I'm damn good at identifying people who ARE good at that, and then listening to their opinions and taking action on them in balance with everything else. 

There's a lot of Peter principle, cronyism and ego involved in a lot of front offices. I'm self-aware enough to know I'm not an expert on any one of the individual tasks associated with running an NFL front office. But I'm really good at identifying talent and intelligence among people. And I know enough about football and the NFL to know what I don't know, but enough about the big picture and what to emphasize that leads to success. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

So when Love throws an interception that's the reason they lost they game?

I was replying to someone saying we weren't a one person team. I was pointing out that we were a missed field goal away from being winless in games Love wasn't "perfect". When Love wasn't lighting it up we were a flat out bad team last year. It's really pretty hard to argue otherwise. 

Edited by wgbeethree

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I'm not a fan of Shipley even though he shows some good stuff.

He's a try hard RB who doesn't know how to avoid hits. I don't like the way he moves. I don't like the fact he looks like he has a WR type body playing at RB.

He does have some nice wiggle at times but is more of a quick, direct runner. Useful as a receiver. Don't think much of him running between the tackles but shows good stuff bouncing outside.

I don't think he improves our rushing attack tbh.

Mmkay. We'll just leave it there. 

19 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I was replying to someone saying we weren't a one person team. I was pointing out that we were a missed field goal away from being winless in games Love wasn't "perfect". When Love wasn't lighting it up we were a flat out bad team last year. It's really pretty hard to argue otherwise. 

Early in the year ... I agree.  The last 6 games and playoffs says otherwise and one of the better teams in the NFC.  The Packers were a team nobody wanted to play toward seasons end. 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Nobody believes that lol. It's jokes. Loosen your *******.

You're right, nobody believes that. It's just jokes lol. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Wait you mean we shouldn't be in awe of these geniuses that keep the bottom 10 teams in the league in perpetual roster hell? You're trying to tell me you wouldn't pass on 2 firsts for Brian Burns to trade him for a 2nd less than a year later!?

Some folks live in 1975 when the college games weren't on TV, the Combine was a private event, all 22 was the number of channels the lucky kid got with his antenna, and the draft itself was something you read a paragraph about in the paper. Yeah at that point in time a fan couldn't get close to having accurate opinions on players. Today? We have so much access, and some of us still have contacts that get us more than the common person. We'll never get medical or interview abilities and every take comes with an asterisk that it could greatly alter an eval to have that info.

55 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

When your defense sucks, your RB1 is missing majority of the season, the QB playing well is about the only avenue to getting wins.