2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

55 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

(again) Shipley just isn't that good. 

For him, I think a lot will depend on where lands.  He's got return ability, some team that uses that type of back will be fine with him.

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

I was replying to someone saying we weren't a one person team. I was pointing out that we were a missed field goal away from being winless in games Love wasn't "perfect". When Love wasn't lighting it up we were a flat out bad team last year. It's really pretty hard to argue otherwise. 

Sorry I thought it was a poor argument.  If you think the only way the Packers can win is if Love avoids an interception than why have him throw at all?  Think about it.

Do you think Love was "perfect in the 2nd half of the season?  Like I said, poor argument.

44 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Sorry I thought it was a poor argument.  If you think the only way the Packers can win is if Love avoids an interception than why have him throw at all?  Think about it.

Do you think Love was "perfect in the 2nd half of the season?  Like I said, poor argument.

It's not Love's "fault" that we lose if he throws an INT it's that the rest of the team wasn't good enough to cover for anything less than near perfection IMO.

He was as close to perfect as just about anyone has ever been. 

From the Chargers game to the Cowboys game he had a 21:1 TD:INT ratio and a 116.6 passer rating. That's a top 10 season ever extrapolated.

You put a middle of the road QB on that same team like Geno Smith or Derek Carr and I firmly believe we are going 2-7 at best (2-6 since we wouldn't have made the playoffs) over that stretch instead of 7-2.

That team just wasn't good enough to win many games unless Love was playing lights out. The first half of the year showed that. The 9ers game showed that. It's an indisputable fact that we won ONE game when Love had a passer rating under 100.

Love completely carried the team IMO. Thank goodness he was up to the task. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Wait you mean we shouldn't be in awe of these geniuses that keep the bottom 10 teams in the league in perpetual roster hell? You're trying to tell me you wouldn't pass on 2 firsts for Brian Burns to trade him for a 2nd less than a year later!?

Some folks live in 1975 when the college games weren't on TV, the Combine was a private event, all 22 was the number of channels the lucky kid got with his antenna, and the draft itself was something you read a paragraph about in the paper. Yeah at that point in time a fan couldn't get close to having accurate opinions on players. Today? We have so much access, and some of us still have contacts that get us more than the common person. We'll never get medical or interview abilities and every take comes with an asterisk that it could greatly alter an eval to have that info.

But in 1981 Mel Kiper first offered his big blue Draft Guide and we have walked the path of enlightenment ever since! When you ordered the book you actually talked to Mel. 

Another fun fact about 1981? We drafted Rich Campbell with the 6th overall pick....I WAS SO PUMPED!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R T said:

You're right, nobody believes that. It's just jokes lol.

Like I said, loosen your *******. Not sure why you choose to post if you're going to be nothing but a condescending clown. Either contribute or STFU. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

It's not Love's "fault" that we lose if he throws an INT it's that the rest of the team wasn't good enough to cover for anything less than near perfection IMO.

He was as close to perfect as just about anyone has ever been. 

From the Chargers game to the Cowboys game he had a 21:1 TD:INT ratio and a 116.6 passer rating. That's a top 10 season ever extrapolated.

You put a middle of the road QB on that same team like Geno Smith or Derek Carr and I firmly believe we are going 2-7 at best (2-6 since we wouldn't have made the playoffs) over that stretch instead of 7-2.

That team just wasn't good enough to win many games unless Love was playing lights out. The first half of the year showed that. The 9ers game showed that. It's an indisputable fact that we won ONE game when Love had a passer rating under 100.

Love completely carried the team IMO. Thank goodness he was up to the task. 

Was Love the only plater that improved through the season?  All of the young guys improved.  It was total TEAM improvement that changed throughout the season.   

If the OL didn't improve we wouldn't have seen the improvement in QB play.  Football is won at the LOS, the focus on QB's carrying the team is ridiculous.  Lineman block, receivers get open, RB's make big plays.  Aaron Jones was as responsible for the late improvement as anyone.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He was a very aggressive college player .. he's an easy pick at #25 if he's there. 

Sadly I just read an article that mentioned how people around the league think he's gone by 20 (and probably in the top 15) after this workout. 

That dream for Barton seems dead. But no matter what, some good players are falling to 25.

Edited by Sandy

7 hours ago, Chili said:

I see Corum and Davis having those traits you describe, just a little on the shorter side.

I have my concerns with Jaylen Wright regarding this but his speed is such that if there's any opening and he hits the hole...he's gone. He's worth drafting for his speed alone but I do have major concerns for his lack of wiggle. He doesn't try to fool defenders, he just simply tries to run past the defender as quickly as possible which makes him predictable and easier to tackle. This doesn't work in tight situations which Aaron Jones excels at.

Speed without vision equals a tackle for loss. 

Between Lacy and Jones, none of the RBs for GB had NFL vision. Jones was a revelation in that category. 

I'll take a back who reads the movements of the line and knows how to set up defenders over a speed guy every day of the week. And twice on Sundays. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

Sadly I just read an article that mentioned how people around the league think he's gone by 20 (and probably in the top 15) after this workout. 

That dream for Barton seems dead. But no matter what, some good players are falling to 25.

In an interior offensive lineman off the board before us it's a good thing. We always find guys in the middle rounds and we will this time as well. 

Our two most pressing needs are still LB and S and we aren't taking one of those in round 1. Unless we take White Jesus and consider him a CB/S. I'd love to get an EDGE rusher, contrary to what many here think, we need one. I also want a speed guy, which likely won't happen. 

For me, if Chop Robinson is there, I'd take him and fill in the need on O-line, LB and S after that. 

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

In an interior offensive lineman off the board before us it's a good thing. We always find guys in the middle rounds and we will this time as well. 

Our two most pressing needs are still LB and S and we aren't taking one of those in round 1. Unless we take White Jesus and consider him a CB/S. I'd love to get an EDGE rusher, contrary to what many here think, we need one. I also want a speed guy, which likely won't happen. 

For me, if Chop Robinson is there, I'd take him and fill in the need on O-line, LB and S after that. 

OL and DL are the basic foundations of any top notch NFL team.  With all the QB's and WR's that will be drafted before the Packers pick this year, somebody is going to fall right into their laps.  Take the best player available at OL or DL at #25 and utilize all those 4/5/6/7 round picks to move up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to fill out their other needs at RB, CB, S, LB.  Going to be a fascinating draft.   

• Like 1