2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

OL and DL are the basic foundations of any top notch NFL team.  With all the QB's and WR's that will be drafted before the Packers pick this year, somebody is going to fall right into their laps.  Take the best player available at OL or DL at #25 and utilize all those 4/5/6/7 round picks to move up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to fill out their other needs at RB, CB, S, LB.  Going to be a fascinating draft.   

I'm a "HELL NO," to trading away our 4-5-6-7 rounders for one or two picks in the 2nd, 3rd. The odds are better you will hit on more players with more picks. You pick up an extra one or two picks, you are likely to miss on one of them. 

This is as bad as George Allen who used to hate draft picks and would always trade them for washed up veterans. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Question for the draft board guys - is Roger Rosengarten going in the second round or might he be there at 88?

Hard to say, but he seems to be creeping up. Actually saw a single mock with him going late 1. I'd guess round 2. Athletic OTs don't last. 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hard to say, but he seems to be creeping up. Actually saw a single mock with him going late 1. I'd guess round 2. Athletic OTs don't last. 

Yeah I saw that too and agree he’s probably not making it out of the second. Dude would be a great fit though.

There's no reason to not start Barton at LT, 33" arms is adequate, not like he's rocking 31's out there. I would say 24-25 to Dallas/GB should be his floor at this point. His tape is so consistent, think teams will prefer him to Guyton and may have him graded equally to Fautanu. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Wait you mean we shouldn't be in awe of these geniuses that keep the bottom 10 teams in the league in perpetual roster hell? You're trying to tell me you wouldn't pass on 2 firsts for Brian Burns to trade him for a 2nd less than a year later!?

Some folks live in 1975 when the college games weren't on TV, the Combine was a private event, all 22 was the number of channels the lucky kid got with his antenna, and the draft itself was something you read a paragraph about in the paper. Yeah at that point in time a fan couldn't get close to having accurate opinions on players. Today? We have so much access, and some of us still have contacts that get us more than the common person. We'll never get medical or interview abilities and every take comes with an asterisk that it could greatly alter an eval to have that info.

I have a question for you and for anyone else.

How does NIL money affect the draft and these prospects?  That is a new, key variable at play here.

I'm not positive that Caleb Williams having 20M plus in his bank account won't affect how hard he is willing to work to be successful in the NFL.  And I say Caleb Williams, but that would ring true for me with any top prospect right now.

Are teams scouting harder on the character and work ethic of the kid?  Trying to see how he worked when he was broke versus how hard he worked after he got a ton of NIL money?

I'm just curious to know thoughts on the subject as it doesn't come up much in Sirius XM (Kirwan and Miller).

wiz, skimming a Rosengarten scouting report, it mentions lacks power/strength, needs to add weight.  (Also all the good athleticism stuff, of course.)  

I do admit some Jason Spriggs paranoia?  Spriggs is my prototype for athletic-but-needs-to-add-strength lineman.   Brilliant combine athleticism when underweight; but once he added the 15+ pounds, he lost quickness and became slow-footed and pad-level-challenged.  (Then he ended up needing surgery besides...). 

Not at all suggesting Rosengarten will suffer Spriggs-effect.  But I do wonder how common Spriggs-effect might be?  [Obviously this is not a creative question; Gute and scouts  must obviously try to project how physique-optimization might impact quickness for any prospect. ] 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How does NIL money affect the draft and these prospects?  That is a new, key variable at play here.

I'm not positive that Caleb Williams having 20M plus in his bank account won't affect how hard he is willing to work to be successful in the NFL.  And I say Caleb Williams, but that would ring true for me with any top prospect right now.

Are teams scouting harder on the character and work ethic of the kid?  Trying to see how he worked when he was broke versus how hard he worked after he got a ton of NIL money?

I'm just curious to know thoughts on the subject as it doesn't come up much in Sirius XM (Kirwan and Miller).

No way for any of us to answer that without having personal access to these guys, but I would say your concern is certainly warranted. Between the NIL account and the rookie deal, these round 1 QB's will be setup for life now before playing a snap in the NFL. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Like I said, loosen your *******. Not sure why you choose to post if you're going to be nothing but a condescending clown. Either contribute or STFU. 

Speaking of condescending clowns, right back at ya tough guy. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

In an interior offensive lineman off the board before us it's a good thing. We always find guys in the middle rounds and we will this time as well.

It's not necessarily a good thing because obviously you want the best possible talent for your team.

However you're right because there's no need to panic as IOL is one of those positions that gets overlooked early and sometimes good players fall to the later rounds which puts us in a good spot to nab them. I see the Packers are taking serious looks at Zinter and Bortolini, both prime 3rd/4th round candidates imo. These are the two I would keep our eyes on if Barton is gone before our picks.

An OT later on is definitely harder though. They always get taken early but can see someone like Suamataia being available later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think NIL or money in the bank has any impact on character study. 

Where the impact shows up is in the borderline 1st rounders and later. If you're making a good amount of money to play football in college but you're not quite a top prospect, why not stick around campus another year and try to improve your draft stock? 

You see it reflected in this graph: 

Screen_Shot_2024_01_19_at_12.02.20_PM.pn

In theory, draft classes should be better going forward.

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Wait you mean we shouldn't be in awe of these geniuses that keep the bottom 10 teams in the league in perpetual roster hell? You're trying to tell me you wouldn't pass on 2 firsts for Brian Burns to trade him for a 2nd less than a year later!?

Some folks live in 1975 when the college games weren't on TV, the Combine was a private event, all 22 was the number of channels the lucky kid got with his antenna, and the draft itself was something you read a paragraph about in the paper. Yeah at that point in time a fan couldn't get close to having accurate opinions on players. Today? We have so much access, and some of us still have contacts that get us more than the common person. We'll never get medical or interview abilities and every take comes with an asterisk that it could greatly alter an eval to have that info.

is it the genius GMs or genius owners in some of those situations? 

7 minutes ago, craig said:

wiz, skimming a Rosengarten scouting report, it mentions lacks power/strength, needs to add weight.  (Also all the good athleticism stuff, of course.)  

I do admit some Jason Spriggs paranoia?  Spriggs is my prototype for athletic-but-needs-to-add-strength lineman.   Brilliant combine athleticism when underweight; but once he added the 15+ pounds, he lost quickness and became slow-footed and pad-level-challenged.  (Then he ended up needing surgery besides...). 

Not at all suggesting Rosengarten will suffer Spriggs-effect.  But I do wonder how common Spriggs-effect might be?  [Obviously this is not a creative question; Gute and scouts  must obviously try to project how physique-optimization might impact quickness for any prospect. ] 

This is my concern. I watched his combine run just to see how he moves and carry his weight. Whilst he certainly looks athletic, he looked awkward because all his weight is in the belly. The arms, bum and legs are all bit skinny. That's not the type of OL you want.

He does give me Spriggs vibes. He might struggle putting good weight, good muscle onto his body.

13 minutes ago, craig said:

Damn good point about Spriggs. They are very similar testing and size wise. On the other hand, we have taken under sized guys before it has paid off.