2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

I admit I wonder how Jordan Love will be impacted by fame and fortune.  He's always seemed like a sincere, high-motivation guy; with an ideal blend of self-confidence and humility.  But now he's a star; fan favorite; franchise QB; been on lots of media shows and interviews and stuff; and soon to be a mega-rich guy.  Hope he's able to handle all of that and not get changed and eaten up by the celebrity!  

22 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yes you said he was antonio brown/tyreek hill hybrid.  I say why stop there he's definitely Jerry Rice!

You said he would lead the team in targets and receptions - he led in receptions.  Even with missing a game!

All with having never heard of the player before we drafted him.

You have some sort of reverse confirmation bias gift my friend.

"Reverse confirmation bias" aka "premonition"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, R T said:

That short shuttle and 3-cone is just silly good, but those 31.5 arms. 

Before some people want to attack and make a big deal out of the arm comment, I get he is not playing OT in the NFL. Still a disadvantage. 

Maybe.  I just like the value for him as to where he should be drafted.  Great RAS.  Tape is nothing if not solid.  Needs some pass pro work and I think he needs more strength in the upper body.  All of which can be had with an NFL strength and position coach working with him for a year.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Maybe.  I just like the value for him as to where he should be drafted.  Great RAS.  Tape is nothing if not solid.  Needs some pass pro work and I think he needs more strength in the upper body.  All of which can be had with an NFL strength and position coach working with him for a year.

Dylan McMahon tested pretty crazy too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, craig said:

I admit I wonder how Jordan Love will be impacted by fame and fortune.  He's always seemed like a sincere, high-motivation guy; with an ideal blend of self-confidence and humility.  But now he's a star; fan favorite; franchise QB; been on lots of media shows and interviews and stuff; and soon to be a mega-rich guy.  Hope he's able to handle all of that and not get changed and eaten up by the celebrity!  

He seems to be a well rounded guy and hopefully has a strong support system of people who have his best interests at heart. None of us can really know what it’s like to be that rich but also in the spotlight. We can’t say how we’d react, especially being that young, to everything coming at you that fast. I don’t care about any idiosyncrasies off field the same way I didn’t care about AR’s. Unless you’re a psychopath, live your life but for god’s sakes pour everything into making this the best team in your short time here and let’s get a few championships! Seems reasonable to me. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

"Reverse confirmation bias" aka "premonition"

When I read your posts they come through in the voice of the Sicilian from Princess Bride.

'Inconceivable!'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Quarterback is the single most important position on the field.  

He makes everything look better.

If he stinks?  All those other pieces that improved do not look as good.

If you do not agree with that, go talk to a Texans fan.  Maybe @ET80 can chime in here, as I feel like he was/is a Texans fan and saw how much Stroud improved everything.

Football is won at the LOS, if you have the QB.  If you do not, you are getting stacked boxes to take away the run on run downs and put you at a bad down/distance on 3rd down.

We are very, very fortunate to have found Love and developed him to the point where now we can fortify those lines and be successful.  

My point was simply that you need both a solid QB and a solid OL.   Giving 100%of the credit to the QB to the point of saying he "Carried the team" is not accurate.  That was the statement I was refuting.  I don't care who you have at QB, if the OL is bad the offense is bad.

We can agree that we fortunately have found our QB, and a number of other quality young players that puts us in a position to compete for titles going forward.

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'm a "HELL NO," to trading away our 4-5-6-7 rounders for one or two picks in the 2nd, 3rd. The odds are better you will hit on more players with more picks. You pick up an extra one or two picks, you are likely to miss on one of them. 

This is as bad as George Allen who used to hate draft picks and would always trade them for washed up veterans. 

I'm not talking trading away all of those .. just 1 or 2 of the lower tier choices if the guy(s) they like are available.  You were assuming .. Hell yes.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I've seen 1st hand how Jordan Love handles himself in public.  A relative of mine owns some car dealerships and made a deal with Jordan to come and sign photos/meet and greet with customers.  It was fantastic .. he stayed all afternoon even though he didn't have to.  What a nice, genuine, down to earth dude ... He'll be just fine being the new rich guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Hard to say, but he seems to be creeping up. Actually saw a single mock with him going late 1. I'd guess round 2. Athletic OTs don't last. 

Yah it sucks.  Word got out on him.  Initially thought we could nab him in the 4th.  Kiper is leading the charge on this kid has him going at the end of round 1.  Agree he'll be gone by end of Rd 2 at the latest now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yah it sucks.  Word got out on him.  Initially thought we could nab him in the 4th.  Kiper is leading the charge on this kid has him going at the end of round 1.  Agree he'll be gone by end of Rd 2 at the latest now. 

Ya that’s ****in bull**** lol. Gladly spend a third on him. Hell maybe even 58 idk

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Word got out to who?  The GM's already knew who he was.   Mel Kiper and the draftnik community didn't move him up and PFF and Profootballnetwork, etc mock drafts didn't alter the teams' perceptions of the kid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

My point was simply that you need both a solid QB and a solid OL.   Giving 100%of the credit to the QB to the point of saying he "Carried the team" is not accurate.  That was the statement I was refuting.  I don't care who you have at QB, if the OL is bad the offense is bad.

We can agree that we fortunately have found our QB, and a number of other quality young players that puts us in a position to compete for titles going forward.

You are going to be shocked by what I say next. 

Great QB's can make an average line look oh so much better by checking into the right blocking scheme and/or plays.

I don't know that the Patriots had a real dominant offensive line with Brady.  Sure they had some good guards here and there, but overall, they were not special.  Brady and his mind/ability made them look quite good.

I feel the same way about Peyton Manning's line for most of his career.  

To some extent, Rodgers made our lines look great with how he ran an offense.

Last year our line looked just outstanding down the stretch.  Not sure if that was all Love, or all MLF, probably a combination, but they made rookie tackles look very good.  Got JRJ a $10M/year deal.

But yes, we appear to have found our franchise QB.  I'm 99% sold right now.  But I do hope he gets more consistency to his game and learns from those game ending INT's, especially that last one which was just an awful decision.  And our young players need to avoid the sophomore slump.  Year 3 for Doubs and Watson should be huge, but my guess is that Doubs will look improved and Watson will not.  His jump is next year.  Contract year.  And I just think that he was just a lot more raw than Doubs.