SAFETY

Javon Bullard - Georgia - 2nd round

Jaden Hicks - Washington State - 2nd round

Dadrion Taylor - Texas Tech - 3rd round

Sione Vaki - Utah - 3rd round

Malik Mustapha - Wake Forest - 3rd round

Cole Bishop - 3rd round

• Like 2

I feel like an exercise a lot of us do every year is try to count the guys who are likely to go before our pick, and from there guess at how many of our "target" guys might be left to pick from.

Well, Daniel Jeremiah just released his latest top 50 and I feel like it captures the sentiment around here really well, especially the guys ranked 21-25:

1. Caleb Williams
  2. Marvin Harrison Jr.
  3. Rome Odunze
  4. Malik Nabers
  5. Drake Maye
  6. Jayden Daniels
  7. Brock Bowers
  8. Joe Alt
  9. Terrion Arnold
  10. Taliese Fuaga
  11. Troy Fautanu
  12. Dallas Turner
  13. Quinyon Mitchell
  14. Jared Verse
  15. Olumuyiwa Fashanu
  16. Laiatu Latu
  17. Brian Thomas Jr.
  18. JC Latham
  19. Byron Murphy
  20. JJ McCarthy
  21. Chop Robinson
  22. Amarius Mims
  23. Tyler Guyton
  24. Graham Barton
  25. Cooper Dejean

Like a lot of others, I'm sure, I would be thrilled if Dejean were the pick. But I would also be really happy with pretty much any of the other non-QBs on that list.

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Don't get the Guyton love.  Doesn't really fit the typical Packers profile.  He's also a project.  Maybe in the 2nd but not at 25.  Same goes for Mims.  Depending on how the board falls we might not be drafting OL in the 1st.  Rosengarten fits what we do much better.  Maybe we score him with one of our 2nd rounders.  Barton or Fautanu at #25 I'd like much better. 

The question with Guyton is his tenacity.  He's got the big size and athleticism, does he have the fire to bury DEs until the whistle.  Some say he does just enough to get by.   He might be a bit of a project for the first round.  We'll see.

I don't think Gute has any hesitancy about drafting a guy in the 1st round who might be a bit of a project if he feels the guy is an elite talent. Love obviously, and to a lesser extent Gary and Van Ness.  

• Like 2

Guytons downblocks right now are fine. Not a ton of double or drive work for us to look under Oklahoma. Has a good guide hand in combos. Base blocks fine. Pulls very well, sometimes gets lost at the end. Looks for work on the few reps hes free. Think his senior bowl practice reps shows he plays with a solid fire. Goes for underhooks and the forklift probably too much, instead of shootin nips and swatting hands, but thats really all hes being asked to do. 

Watching the OKState game (which led back to SMU) just for a refresher.. guy gets underneath a 6' ILB multiple times on pulls. Tyler shows solid recovery when he gets off balance, like Barton, without ending up on the ground. Sure, the guy might not be a pure drive blocker (though v SMU I think he has some real solid impact blocking reps) but he's going to be able to get in space and engulf guys, which we ask of our dudes way more often. Hes able to play with the pad level of someone 5 inches shorter, while being able to get to the second level in two steps and out reach most guys long arm stabs. 

The way he was soaking up info at the senior bowl and what he's already shown in pro I'd have no problem starting him day 1 and taking the lumps on some rushing assignments.. or if its just too overwhelming have him be the swing. We showed even with LVN we arent afraid of bringing our high picks along slowly... but the pure ball of clay that is Guyton just has to make you drool in a passing league.

My comp for him is Rasheed Walker. Walker with knees. Just a little more everything. Veldheer from a real school that exists and not middle earth..

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

The question with Guyton is his tenacity.  He's got the big size and athleticism, does he have the fire to bury DEs until the whistle.  Some say he does just enough to get by.   He might be a bit of a project for the first round.  We'll see.

Also a reason that you interview the player, as well as talk to his coaches and maybe teammates.  TJ Slaton was reported to be lazy at Florida.  He has been anything but that since joining the Packers.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It is hard to deny that he would fill the largest hole that we have on the roster.  Safety.

Not just any old safety, but one who can play 1:1 with a TE or slot receiver, while offering run support.

And I have little doubt that he can play deep space well, given those instincts.

I'm not moving up for many people in this draft, and ideally, I'm only willing to go up to like #19 or so as someone posted prior.

DeJean is one of those guys that if he gets close, I'd pull the trigger to secure him.  He's a "tier one" guy for me and current roster.  And he's just a lot better than others than we can get later.

I understand a small trade up for DeJean, I wouldn't fight anyone who would want to do that. but I wouldn't do it because I feel like the Packers will have plenty of options at 25

also, I'm not sure DeJean would play safety with us. I'm fairly confident whatever team drafts him will see if he sticks at corner first. if we drafted him, I think he'd supplant Keisean Nixon in the slot 

14 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Jordan Morgan is another one whose "want to" and tenacity I'd be seriously questioning.  Dude looks lazy and soft as microwaved butter.  The guy never plays to the whistle.  I'm pretty sure he has an internal 3 second timer and once those 3 seconds are up he just stops and watches the play from there, no matter what's going on.  He's the epitome of a "look blocker" (turn to look at what's going on with the play rather than continuing to block).  He's the type that gives the minimal amount of effort just to keep most people quiet, which is a shame because he's definitely a talented dude.

Guyton might have some of that as well, but Morgan makes him look like the meanest dude on the planet.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Jordan Morgan is another one whose "want to" and tenacity I'd be seriously questioning.  Dude looks lazy and soft as microwaved butter.  The guy never plays to the whistle.  I'm pretty sure he has an internal 3 second timer and once those 3 seconds are up he just stops and watches the play from there, no matter what's going on.  He's the epitome of a "look blocker" (turn to look at what's going on with the play rather than continuing to block).  He's the type that gives the minimal amount of effort just to keep most people quiet, which is a shame because he's definitely a talented dude.  As @beekay414 likes to say, he has the tools but no toolbox.

Guyton might have some of that as well, but Morgan makes him look like the meanest dude on the planet.

A ton of these guys are in RPO offenses. You can't drive your guy down field, you can't latch on and get a holding penalty if someone breaks or scrambles outside of the assignment. With 2400 snaps he only has 12 penalties.

Penalties hurt more than a pancake is siiick.

Edited by HighCalebR