2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Anybody who knows OL have an opinion on Tylan Grable? Elite athlete who took a huge step last year. A little lighter than ideal. Seems like someone the Packers would be all over to me though. 

Check out CJ Hanson and Jarrett Kingston 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I want a legit starting player in round one .. not a project guy who is going to see very limited snaps.  With 11 picks and a team that is ready to compete I'm okay with trading up for the right guy.  I want quality of quantity this year.

So you were against picking: Love, Wyatt, Gary, LVN over the last 5 years? The reality is not many rookies move into the roster on day 1 and become a full-time starter. Drafting a premium position and getting a guy who can rotate his rookie year, is extremely good value. Especially, when they turn into stud pass rusher a year or two down the road. 

There is no guarantee at 25 you are going to get a guy who is a can't miss day one starter who you can pencil in his entire rookie contract. There will be come in hindsight that do that, but nothing at this point in the draft is a certainty. 

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

With Geno and Sam Howell already there - I'd be surprised if Penix or any QB is in their plans.   Make whatever jokes you want about Geno, he's shown he's more than capable as a starter in SEA the last couple seasons.    Sam Howell is also a good developmental option that threw far too many interceptions in his first season as a starter, but was also running for his life all season long.   Commanders only moved on from him because they're taking a QB #2 and plan to play him from the start

Penix is a much better option than Howell. If it weren’t for his injury history, he’d go in the first half of round one.  Howell ain’t it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Do you guys think Amaris Mims will be there for our 2nd round pick? 

The tackle from Georgia?  Absolutely not.  I'm not even convinced he'll be available at 25 let alone 41.

Mims is fascinating/intriguing to me.   Started two games in 2022 and 6 in 2023 and seems a sure Top 35 lock.  Did actually play 30 games over his career but I'm not sure the breakdown of meaningful offensive plays vs special teams snaps vs 4th qtr blowout appearances etc.

What other players come to mind that have so little starting experience but were drafted so highly?

On the flip side of the discussion the voice in my head is having:

Not sure why it's even a concern?  There's no shortage of players that were drafted with only 1 year of starting experience or meaningful production and that came over maybe 11-12 games?    Mims has limited total starts but in 2022 they came in the Playoffs semifinal and final games - not much better experience than that! 

23 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

What other players come to mind that have so little starting experience but were drafted so highly?

Pretty sure Clay came off the bench at USC at Elephant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Anybody who knows OL have an opinion on Tylan Grable? Elite athlete who took a huge step last year. A little lighter than ideal. Seems like someone the Packers would be all over to me though. 

That'd be a udfa for me. Maybe late if we haven't added anything by then. (After watching probably not enough to make that claim).

Kick slide isn't much slide. He's  a helicopter off the snap. All the tools are there, guys sitting in a chair in his stance.

Think you go in with a 2 year plan like Nijman. Looks like he just started playing tackle. Probably a better project than the other guys at the end of the bench.

Not really worried about the weight though.. either that comes or it doesn't. He's a strong dude and can wrench guys around when he's in position. Just being in position isn't that often 

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Check out CJ Hanson and Jarrett Kingston 

I don't know @wgbeethree. He's probably not strong enough to play this year, but those athletic numbers are worth a late round pick. You certainly have to redshirt him this year. Keep him on the 53 and get him on a NFL weight training program and diet. In a year, you might have a gem. If it's a seventh rounder, It's definitely worth the gamble, IMO, whatever that is worth. 

Tylan Grable Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

I'm not a good OL scout by any means, but I'd look at him as an OG convert.  I just don't think the athleticism is there to be a tackle in the NFL.  For as well as he tested, his feet look really choppy.

I think he would excel in the Packers OL room...by bringing the donuts every morning.