2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

28 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Pretty sure Clay came off the bench at USC at Elephant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Matthews_III#:~:text=Analysts were shocked when the,games of his senior season.)

Analysts were shocked when the Packers traded up for Matthews,[14] whom they did not regard as a first-round draft prospect due to his limited playing experience at USC (only starting the final ten games of his senior season.) Greene later stated that Matthews has a "set of skills that I have not seen in an outside linebacker. Clay has a set of skills that I didn't have. He has another gear I didn't have. He's better than Kevin Greene was."[

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not a good OL scout by any means, but I'd look at him as an OG convert.  I just don't think the athleticism is there to be a tackle in the NFL.  For as well as he tested, his feet look really choppy.

He's got to be a redshirt next year for sure. He' also has to likely relearn his fundamentals. Don't see the strength to play inside, not sure a year in the weight room changes that. I don't see it as a lack of athleticism though. 

He's a lottery ticket which I'd buy in round 7. 

Athleticism Score *est

2024 Combine OT Rank: 1st

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Anybody who knows OL have an opinion on Tylan Grable? Elite athlete who took a huge step last year. A little lighter than ideal. Seems like someone the Packers would be all over to me though. 

I watched him a bit.  He has the athleticism GB likes.  I'd be surprised if he wasn't on their board as a late round guy.  He's raw and needs some work but I think there's something there to work with.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

ReasonablySober and Thrill! - thanks for the reminders on LVN and Clay.    That's settled that debate inside my head pretty decidedly.  Looks like the right side claims victory over the left side's embarrassing recall

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

It wouldn't surprise me if any OL the Packers draft take a redshirt next season. 

There is a difference between, won't start hope they don't play and the 10th lineman in a 9-man roster has to play. I'm thinking this kid, Grabel, if we drafted him in round 7, would make the roster as the 9th lineman, but we'd have a guy on the practice squad who would get called up before he'd go in.

In theory we could have our starting five on the roster already, so your point is hopefully, spot on. 

Edited by Old Guy

I'm curious what you guys think we'll do at ILB. been arguing with a dude all night and he says Quay isn't a mike, regressed in that role last season, and that guys like Wilson and Cooper are the same archetype as Walker so we shouldn't draft them

i think someone like Cooper is very much in play for us at 41 and if that's the pick, Walker will be the mike with Cooper as the will. I think the Pack will stay away from Wilson because of the injury history 

5 hours ago, persiandud said:

I'm curious what you guys think we'll do at ILB. been arguing with a dude all night and he says Quay isn't a mike, regressed in that role last season, and that guys like Wilson and Cooper are the same archetype as Walker so we shouldn't draft them

i think someone like Cooper is very much in play for us at 41 and if that's the pick, Walker will be the mike with Cooper as the will. I think the Pack will stay away from Wilson because of the injury history 

Provided he didn't make a fool of himself during his Top 30 visit, I think Cooper may be very much in play for us at 25 and there are very, very few guys I'd take over him if he was still sitting there at 41.    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, persiandud said:

Grab a guy in the 3rd or the 5th. Thats what my spidey senses tell me. Maybe it's both. I'm not spider man so it's tough to read spider. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

My thoughts.....you both are right to a certain extent.

He's right...Quay, Wilson and Cooper are best as the chase linebacker.

You are right...Cooper is probably in play for us at 41.  Quay moves to Mike.  Wilson likely out because of the injury history.

The lost part is that this is Quay's 3rd year.  He should understand the defense more now and be ready to step into the Mike role.  If he is not, then we shouldn't exercise the 5'th year option on him and he shouldn't be in our long term plans.

At least that is how I view it.  The natural progression should always have been Campbell to Quay for the Mike role.  Maybe it happened a year early, but it is his time to sink or swim now.  (I think he will swim)

• Like 1

I think McDuffie is the Mike, Quay is the Will, and we don't really have a Sam on the roster currently.  If we had a game tomorrow, we might use Preston or Keshawn Banks/Arron Mosby in the few true 4-3 base snaps that we run.  I think Eric Wilson is a decent enough back-up at either of the other two ILB spots, but again, I am not sure he fits the classic fullback of the defense role of the Sam.  

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

My thoughts.....you both are right to a certain extent.

He's right...Quay, Wilson and Cooper are best as the chase linebacker.

You are right...Cooper is probably in play for us at 41.  Quay moves to Mike.  Wilson likely out because of the injury history.

The lost part is that this is Quay's 3rd year.  He should understand the defense more now and be ready to step into the Mike role.  If he is not, then we shouldn't exercise the 5'th year option on him and he shouldn't be in our long term plans.

At least that is how I view it.  The natural progression should always have been Campbell to Quay for the Mike role.  Maybe it happened a year early, but it is his time to sink or swim now.  (I think he will swim)

I like Cooper or Wilson at 41 for us. I'd also like to grab Isaiah Simmons on a cheap two-year deal. He's still out there and is an athletic freak. 

Then get one linebacker later in the draft, say round 5-6. 

I do agree with @ThatJerkDave McDuffie is probably the MIKE. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think McDuffie is the Mike, Quay is the Will, and we don't really have a Sam on the roster currently.  If we had a game tomorrow, we might use Preston or Keshawn Banks/Arron Mosby in the few true 4-3 base snaps that we run.  I think Eric Wilson is a decent enough back-up at either of the other two ILB spots, but again, I am not sure he fits the classic fullback of the defense role of the Sam.  

I don't think that classic "Sam/fullback" type viable on either side of the ball. It's a dead position.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I like Cooper or Wilson at 41 for us. I'd also like to grab Isaiah Simmons on a cheap two-year deal. He's still out there and it an athletic freak. 

Then get one linebacker later in the draft, say round 5-6. 

I do agree with @ThatJerkDave McDuffie is probably the MIKE. 

There is a linebacker later....I think it is Gray from North Carolina who graded out really well against the pass and he's a little smaller.  He looks like a decent guy to pick up.

But yes, I agree with you, we should be drafting more than one off ball linebacker.  Specials could use them.