2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

If mcduffie put on 10 pounds i would probably feel better about him. Just doesnt have enough force to stop runners at his current weight

Edited by HokieHigh

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think they traded Rasul away because they didn't think the playoffs were in the cards. Also, Stokes was supposedly coming back at that point, which didn't last long. I think Rasul also made a few comments about how things were going that didn't sit well with front office. 

yea but you don't trade a good starting corner like that away unless you feel pretty good about the depth behind him. the Packers probably saw that Valentine can be a capable starter 

5 hours ago, The Truth said:

Every draft year I have  players that I don't want the Packer's to pick, this years candidates are Kool-Aid Mckinstry, Nate Wiggins, and Calen Bullock. Bullock doesn't tackle, Mckinstry lacks toughness and same for Wiggins. I really want a solid tackling defensive backfield, Mckinney was a good start. 

Who scares you?

All of these, I'll add Kool-Aid is too grabby, hate those automatic first downs. 

Wilson was mentioned, the injury history is scary. 

This draft class might not end up having a good nose tackle in it. 

And Jordan Morgan. Just doesn't seem like he's got the sand in his pants.

• Like 1

Stokes might not be in the cards for the long term, but I feel like what you got from Valentine leaves you somewhat confident that he could potentially blossom into a good quality starting outside CB.  Like he acquitted himself well as the CB1 last year as a rookie and we now have a defense that's more suited to his skills and DC who is good at working with DBs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think they traded Rasul away because they didn't think the playoffs were in the cards. Also, Stokes was supposedly coming back at that point, which didn't last long. I think Rasul also made a few comments about how things were going that didn't sit well with front office. 

Plus at that point the Bills season wasn't going well, though unfortunately they later turned it around just after the trade. Had their season tanked, the trade compensation would've been fair, say around pick #80. But as it stands, IMO, Bills won that trade, Packers got too little. Oh well.

25 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like I would be pretty surprised if the Packers took a CB at 25.  Between Jaire, Stokes, Nixon (who's getting paid like a starting nickel), and Valentine/Ballentine I think that room is kind of full except for maybe a developmental type.  It's not like Hafley's thing isn't "developing DBs" so he probably wants to see what he's got before he wants turnover at the position group.

Nixon is getting paid like a two-time reigning All-Pro kick returner. That definitely is a big factor in his salary.

I'm sure Gute would love to add a corner to this group considering their injury history, too. 

If no one gets hurt in TC, I see us opening the season with 11 DBs total.

26 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

If they figured out watsons injury issues maybe the have also resolved stokes'

That’s very optimistic but I’m in! Let’s get the long term nagging injuries behind us!

• Like 1

If you believe that the Packers are drafting for a year (or years) in advance, there aren't many positions that you couldn't justify taking. I think replacements for Jones, at least one WR, Clark, Preston, Jaire, Myers, and Stokes are on the table. 

Really, the only position I'm confident the Packers aren't drafting early is quarterback.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Byron Murphy is available, he's going to be high on Gute's list.

He's undersized.  Just can't see him being a Packer. Already have enough interior pass rushers.  

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He's undersized.  Just can't see him being a Packer. Already have enough interior pass rushers.  

He's short.  He's only like 7 pounds lighter than Wyatt was when we drafted him.

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's short.  He's only like 7 pounds lighter than Wyatt was when we drafted him.

Honestly think they might like Michael Hall better as an option in round 2. He's 9 months younger too (only 20). Similar player whose pass rush win rate was just as impressive as Murphy's.