2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

3 hours ago, Chili said:

I've filtered through the prospects testing data to find out who fits our positional thresholds.

I started with cornerbacks. I didn't bother with agility testing numbers because the vast majority did not do them at the combine.

Height: >5'11" but < 6'1" (Kevin King is an outlier and going that big isn't something we normally do)
Weight: >190lbs but < 200lbs (I have adjusted the minimum to 185lbs this time)
Arm Length: > 30.25 (Last I checked we have never drafted a corner with arms shorter than this)
Forty: < 4.50s (where available. If a player has no 40 time then he is included anyway)

Quinyon Mitchell
Terrion Arnold
Kool-Aid McKinstry
Kamari Lassiter
T.J. Tampa
Elijah Jones
Renardo Green
Decamerion Richardson
Max Melton
Marcellas Dial
Nehemiah Pritchett

Cooper DeJean, Nate Wiggins, Cam Hart and Ennis Rakestraw misses out due to weight, Jarrian Jones misses out due to arm length. Khyree Jackson and Andru Phillips with their height.

If I reverted the weight minimum back to 190lbs then the likes of Terrion Arnold, Kamari Lassiter, T.J. Tampa, Elijah Jones, Renardo Green, Decamerion Richardson. Max Melton would've been eliminated. Cutting them out would be pointless as players gain weight all the time.

The reverse is true as well, a player lose weight all the time and so Cooper DeJean would be back in play for us.

If the Packers were extremely strict with their criterias then it means we're limited to a pool of just 4 players with known testing numbers. Those players are highlighted in green.

If the Packers show some flexibility with weight on either side then that would increase the pool to 15 players.

This suggests that the Packers, if they want a corner, are likely going to have to draft somebody outside their numbers and Gute has shown he is willing to draft players who falls slightly outside the perimeters eg Alexander (Height) and Wyatt (Age).

I feel like GB places a decent value on 3-cone and short shuttle times as much as the H/W/S .

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

I feel like GB places a decent value on 3-cone and short shuttle times as much as the H/W/S .

I agree but I've got no testing data for it. For whatever reason the majority of players skipped those drills.

13 hours ago, Chili said:

I've filtered through the prospects testing data to find out who fits our positional thresholds.

I started with cornerbacks. I didn't bother with agility testing numbers because the vast majority did not do them at the combine.

Height: >5'11" but < 6'1" (Kevin King is an outlier and going that big isn't something we normally do)
Weight: >190lbs but < 200lbs (I have adjusted the minimum to 185lbs this time)
Arm Length: > 30.25 (Last I checked we have never drafted a corner with arms shorter than this)
Forty: < 4.50s (where available. If a player has no 40 time then he is included anyway)

Quinyon Mitchell
Terrion Arnold
Kool-Aid McKinstry
Kamari Lassiter
T.J. Tampa
Elijah Jones
Renardo Green
Decamerion Richardson
Max Melton
Marcellas Dial
Nehemiah Pritchett

Cooper DeJean, Nate Wiggins, Cam Hart and Ennis Rakestraw misses out due to weight, Jarrian Jones misses out due to arm length. Khyree Jackson and Andru Phillips with their height.

If I reverted the weight minimum back to 190lbs then the likes of Terrion Arnold, Kamari Lassiter, T.J. Tampa, Elijah Jones, Renardo Green, Decamerion Richardson. Max Melton would've been eliminated. Cutting them out would be pointless as players gain weight all the time.

The reverse is true as well, a player lose weight all the time and so Cooper DeJean would be back in play for us.

If the Packers were extremely strict with their criterias then it means we're limited to a pool of just 4 players with known testing numbers. Those players are highlighted in green.

If the Packers show some flexibility with weight on either side then that would increase the pool to 15 players.

This suggests that the Packers, if they want a corner, are likely going to have to draft somebody outside their numbers and Gute has shown he is willing to draft players who falls slightly outside the perimeters eg Alexander (Height) and Wyatt (Age).

Why isnt deantre prince on the list?

6 foot, 183, 30.75 inch arms, 4.38 40. 

He played really well at ole miss last year too, the kid can ball. 

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Are we convinced DeJean is just a CB? I honestly don't know, but some of the draft sites have him listed as a S. 

Where, in your opinion, does he play in the NFL? 

BTW, KIng was way too skinny for his height. 

I've watched a lot of the top corners this year. DeJean will be just fine playing literally anywhere. I actually like his outside technique a lot - he'll be just fine defending players there - but we don't have much playing time available on the outside. 

In the slot or covering tight ends and RBs he's elite. 

He projects to safety well because of his size, athleticism, instincts and ball skills.

He remains my number one wish in the first.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Are we convinced DeJean is just a CB? I honestly don't know, but some of the draft sites have him listed as a S. 

Where, in your opinion, does he play in the NFL? 

BTW, KIng was way too skinny for his height. 

To me, he's versatile in a similar way that Charles Woodson was late in his career.  I don't think that lockdown CB is going to be DeJean, but someone who you can utilize in a number of ways.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

To me, he's versatile in a similar way that Charles Woodson was late in his career.  I don't think that lockdown CB is going to be DeJean, but someone who you can utilize in a number of ways.

I still see Micah Hyde.  And I hated Micah Hyde.

Bill Huber - I did not win the Powerball last night. So, here's my seventh seven-round #Packers mock draft.

First Round: Alabama CB Kool-Aid KcKinstry - At receiver, the Bears have D.J. Moore and Keenan Allen. The Vikings have Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison. The 49ers have Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel. Moral to the story: You better have good corners to compete for a Super Bowl. The Packers have Jaire Alexander and … Carrington Valentine? Injury-prone Eric Stokes?

Second Round: BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia - Offensive tackle is an enormous problem for the Packers. However, they got within a whisper of the NFC Championship Game with Rasheed Walker replacing David Bakhtiari at left tackle and super-steady Zach Tom at right tackle. There is no depth whatsoever, though.

Third Round: Clemson LB Jeremiah Trotter - Linebacker is an enormous problem … well, you can complete the rest of the sentence by now. Eric Wilson is the third starter and Kristian Welch is the next man up. They’ll join starter Isaiah McDuffie as free agents in 11 months.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/2024-huber-mock-draft-7

Edited by Leader

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Top 3 ATF Packer, sign me up. 

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Do we really have a "3rd starter" at LB? 

Are you talking about on the roster or how the new DC is going to play? IMO, we have 1, Walker. McDuffie can be a decent back up who can fill in but should not be counted on to be a starter. It looks like we are counting on him at this point. 

Need LB, S and O-line in this draft in my opinion. Ideally, multiple at each of those position groups. I'd be fine with 1 safety and pick one up once June 1 cuts happen, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber - I did not win the Powerball last night. So, here's my seventh seven-round #Packers mock draft.

First Round: Alabama CB Kool-Aid KcKinstry - At receiver, the Bears have D.J. Moore and Keenan Allen. The Vikings have Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison. The 49ers have Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel. Moral to the story: You better have good corners to compete for a Super Bowl. The Packers have Jaire Alexander and … Carrington Valentine? Injury-prone Eric Stokes?

Second Round: BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia - Offensive tackle is an enormous problem for the Packers. However, they got within a whisper of the NFC Championship Game with Rasheed Walker replacing David Bakhtiari at left tackle and super-steady Zach Tom at right tackle. There is no depth whatsoever, though.

Third Round: Clemson LB Jeremiah Trotter - Linebacker is an enormous problem … well, you can complete the rest of the sentence by now. Eric Wilson is the third starter and Kristian Welch is the next man up. They’ll join starter Isaiah McDuffie as free agents in 11 months.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/2024-huber-mock-draft-7

Didn't look at link, but does Bill know we have two picks in round 2, 3? Not a fan of McKinstry at all. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Are you talking about on the roster or how the new DC is going to play? IMO, we have 1, Walker. McDuffie can be a decent back up who can fill in but should not be counted on to be a starter. It looks like we are counting on him at this point. 

Need LB, S and O-line in this draft in my opinion. Ideally, multiple at each of those position groups. I'd be fine with 1 safety and pick one up once June 1 cuts happen, 

How we play. McDuffie's decent enough that we can survive with him as a starter with the amount of talent we'll have around him IMO. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

How we play. McDuffie's decent enough that we can survive with him as a starter with the amount of talent we'll have around him IMO. 

Not sure we know yet, what does this guy's history tell us? 

Either way, we need a body or two. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Not sure we know yet, what does this guy's history tell us? 

That he can play in the NFL. He's not a star but he can play. I'm not anywhere near as worried about him as some of you guys are. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That he can play in the NFL. He's not a star but he can play. I'm not anywhere near as worried about him as some of you guys are. 

My reply was referring to the DC, not McDuffie. I do hope you are correct on McDuffie though. I am tired of our mediocre play at LB. 

I want one of those dudes and we haven't had one in so long I can't remember. While McDuffie might be able to play, he's not one of those dudes. We only need 1 of them though, not three. Three would be nice but not realistic. 

The 49ers always have those dudes at LB. Makes me sick.