2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

I've watched a lot of the top corners this year. DeJean will be just fine playing literally anywhere. I actually like his outside technique a lot - he'll be just fine defending players there - but we don't have much playing time available on the outside. 

In the slot or covering tight ends and RBs he's elite. 

He projects to safety well because of his size, athleticism, instincts and ball skills.

He remains my number one wish in the first.

Are there any comparable fibula injuries in the league before? Like how long do these guys last? Does it cause knee/hip instability or speed loss?

Or is it actually better than a soft tissue injury in the long run? 

@squire12

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

My reply was referring to the DC, not McDuffie. I do hope you are correct on McDuffie though. I am tired of our mediocre play at LB. 

I want one of those dudes and we haven't had one in so long I can't remember. While McDuffie might be able to play, he's not one of those dudes. We only need 1 of them though, not three. Three would be nice but not realistic. 

The 49ers always have those dudes at LB. Makes me sick.

Quay's supposed to be that guy. Hard to be that guy when you're playing for trash like the DC's we've had. I mean, the 49ers system made Oren Burks look like an NFL player for a bit. Find a man that knows how to run a proper system, that isn't a lazy cuck of a DC and draft kids with traits at LB and lets see what happens. We don't need to splurge at LB to make that happen. I mean, it's nice to dream on guys like Edgerrin Cooper's  film but you don't need to invest in those types to have stars at LB. Bob Babich made a star out of Terrel Bernard out of nowhere. 3rd round pick. Find the traits. 

15 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Are there any comparable fibula injuries in the league before? Like how long do these guys last? Does it cause knee/hip instability or speed loss?

@squire12

Would depend on how close to the ankle the fracture was.  Fibula does not cross the knee, so should not have any impact on knee.  If it is mid shaft fibula, they heal really well with next to nothing for complications or long term impact.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber - I did not win the Powerball last night. So, here's my seventh seven-round #Packers mock draft.

First Round: Alabama CB Kool-Aid KcKinstry - At receiver, the Bears have D.J. Moore and Keenan Allen. The Vikings have Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison. The 49ers have Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel. Moral to the story: You better have good corners to compete for a Super Bowl. The Packers have Jaire Alexander and … Carrington Valentine? Injury-prone Eric Stokes?

Second Round: BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia - Offensive tackle is an enormous problem for the Packers. However, they got within a whisper of the NFC Championship Game with Rasheed Walker replacing David Bakhtiari at left tackle and super-steady Zach Tom at right tackle. There is no depth whatsoever, though.

Third Round: Clemson LB Jeremiah Trotter - Linebacker is an enormous problem … well, you can complete the rest of the sentence by now. Eric Wilson is the third starter and Kristian Welch is the next man up. They’ll join starter Isaiah McDuffie as free agents in 11 months.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/2024-huber-mock-draft-7

yuk...

38 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

@squire12

Personally I'll take it over the soft tissue. Soft tissue tends to be reoccurring, especially hamstrings.

Not knowing too many details on his specific fracture, it can sometimes happen to a severely sprained ankle. In my research it seems it's fairly common - a study from 2000 - 2014 showed an average of 16 fractured fibulas in the NFL each year, and I've never heard of anyone's career being severely affected by one. 

Edited by Sandy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Didn't look at link, but does Bill know we have two picks in round 2, 3? Not a fan of McKinstry at all. 

Look at the link. I didnt want to copy/paste the entire article.

I think Gute will trade up in this draft somewhere into the 16-23 range depending on how it goes.  For who?  Maybe, Arnold, Mitchell or DeJean or one of the OTs he likes?  It will depend on the board at the time. JMO

Unless someone slips there's a lot of projects and concerns at 25.  If you want an impact player in this draft you have to go up and get him.  I'm not giving up the farm, but a slight trade up to get a better player.

If he stays at 25, than 58 is indeed in play for a trade.

Edited by NFLGURU

There's no significant difference in the quality of prospect you're going to get between 16-23 as you're going to get at 25. They all have their concerns. I'd rather stay the course at 25 and make the play on day 2. Once you get outside the top 10-12, it's pick your poison. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Gute will trade up in this draft somewhere into the 16-23 range depending on how it goes.  For who?  Maybe, Arnold, Mitchell or DeJean or one of the OTs he likes?  It will depend on the board at the time. JMO

Personally I think Fautanu is the target.  He's the player I believe Gute is going to target.  Whether or not he feels the need to trade up dunno.  Barton and DeJean are nice fall back options. 

Edited by Scoremore

47 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

There's no significant difference in the quality of prospect you're going to get between 16-23 as you're going to get at 25. They all have their concerns. I'd rather stay the course at 25 and make the play on day 2. Once you get outside the top 10-12, it's pick your poison. 

Assuming even only 4 QBs go in the top 15, I think people are underestimating how many solid players in that general tier should be available at 25.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I disagree with this opinion. It is very possible that prospects such as JPJ, DeJean, Fautanu, Murphy, are regarded as priority targets and are expected to go between 20 and 24.   IF Gute particularly likes one of these prospects (or even another I haven't mentioned) then he should go and get the guy he thinks is special. While many of the prospects might be similarly ranked by the media, certain individuals might be significantly higher on the Packers board, just like Clay Matthews was for TT, all those years ago.

This idea of it just being 'pick your poison' after pick 10-12 kind of assumes draft boards are somewhat the same and they most definitely are not.

I am not advocating a trade up any more than staying put or trading down, its all situational and I wouldn't want to rule out any of the three possibilities.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This idea of it just being 'pick your poison' after pick 10-12 kind of assumes draft boards are somewhat the same and they most definitely are not.

In what world does that statement make the assumption that draft boards are the same lol. If anything, it assumes that they are wildly different and the prospects are all flawed in their own rights.