2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Bright move buddy. 

Wow...after he bombed the combine thought he'd drop to the 3rd round.  Now?  He may be off some teams boards entirely.  Great let's take him in the 6th.

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Gute will trade up in this draft somewhere into the 16-23 range depending on how it goes.  For who?  Maybe, Arnold, Mitchell or DeJean or one of the OTs he likes?  It will depend on the board at the time. JMO

He's only traded up once (Jordan Love) from his natural selection, and he's never traded up giving up a SRP in the process.  So unless he finds a team that's willing to move down for third and fourths, I don't see Gute trading up.

I think if you're going to trade up this year, it's probably for one of the top 15 guys and that's going to be very expensive.  There's not a clear "tier 1" player that the Packers would really commit a bunch of resources into moving up for.  Since the top of the draft is going to be a mixture of QBs, WRs, OTs, and CBs and I think they're content rolling into week 1 of 2024 with the QBs, WRs, OTs, and CBs they already have.

I guess if they moved up for somebody it might be Murphy since there's not a lot of guys who can do what he does this year.

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think if you're going to trade up this year, it's probably for one of the top 15 guys and that's going to be very expensive.  There's not a clear "tier 1" player that the Packers would really commit a bunch of resources into moving up for.  Since the top of the draft is going to be a mixture of QBs, WRs, OTs, and CBs and I think they're content rolling into week 1 of 2024 with the QBs, WRs, OTs, and CBs they already have.

I guess if they moved up for somebody it might be Murphy since there's not a lot of guys who can do what he does this year.

It would have to be Bowers and it would be either the reason we win a Championship or the reason we never get over the hump.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

It would have to be Bowers and it would be either the reason we win a Championship or the reason we never get over the hump.

That would be awesome just for the volume of meltdowns that would happen for that pick, the only thing better would be a move up for a QB. 

On 4/6/2024 at 2:59 PM, CWood21 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Byron Murphy is available, he's going to be high on Gute's list.

I can totally see us trading up for him.

19 minutes ago, R T said:

That would be awesome just for the volume of meltdowns that would happen for that pick, the only thing better would be a move up for a QB. 

You want to see stupid moves just so you can have people upset?

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Wow...after he bombed the combine thought he'd drop to the 3rd round.  Now?  He may be off some teams boards entirely.  Great let's take him in the 6th.

We go live to Sweat's agent:

200.webp?cid=790b7611p2kdy3dojnwr53z928y

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

You want to see stupid moves just so you can have people upset?

Because you assume they are stupid moves doesn't mean they are stupid moves. 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Once you get outside the top 10-12, it's pick your poison. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

In what world does that statement make the assumption that draft boards are the same lol. If anything, it assumes that they are wildly different and the prospects are all flawed in their own rights. 

These two things are incompatible. One teams board ranks a guy at 7, another at 22, therefore the 'top 12' is not actually the top 12 on everyone's board, far from it.

For the Packers, a guy on their board ranked in the top 12 may be there at, say, pick 21. if they like that guy or think he is a clear tier above other prospects still available, they may well try and trade up for him - that's not a bad thing, its a calculated gamble where they can look to other teams to see if a reasonable trade can be made.

What I'm getting at here is that it is ok to trade up (but I'd hope not so far they give up the house). It is also ok to trade down, and ok to stay put. You don't rule out any option, certainly not before you can even see how the board is falling on draft day. I'm not even sure WHY you don't want to trade up regardless, its all about the situation on the day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm not even sure WHY you don't want to trade up regardless, its all about the situation on the day.

Because I've spent the time digging into the class and don't see the benefit to it. I've already stated that I feel the day to make the move is on day 2 where the board thins out more. The depth isn't as dire as some analysts have made it out to be but that's the day you make the move using 88/91 to move up from 58 or using 126 to move up from 88/91. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Still 3rd round IMO. See Carter, Jalen, dropped about 7 slots in the draft and what he did was much dumber. In hindsight, I think there are 9 teams that passed on him that wish they had a do over. I'll give the Texans a pass for Stroud. They'd still pick him. 

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because I've spent the time digging into the class and don't see the benefit to it. I've already stated that I feel the day to make the move is on day 2 where the board thins out more. The depth isn't as dire as some analysts have made it out to be but that's the day you make the move using 88/91 to move up from 58 or using 126 to move up from 88/91. 

I'm not sure I'd disagree with you.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

IMO that guy is Mitchell, not Murphy. If he fell past 15 I could envision a move for him.

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I would be keen to get an extra pick between 70 and 100. A clear tier of LB, RB, OL, and safety in that stretch. 

If one of the top OT falls (not mims or barton), id consider moving up. But if not and someone wants to get their WR, i would consider moving down a few picks from 25

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1