2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm reading on the internet things that the Commanders offered the Bears the second overall pick and their first round picks in 25 and 26 for this year's first overall pick.  Bears rejected the trade.

Man, that's kind of insane value for Williams over Maye or Daniels.

I'm VERY skeptical that the Commanders actually offered that much.

• Like 4

On 4/5/2024 at 4:32 PM, NFLGURU said:

Payton Wilson.  The injury history scares me.  Good player, but for how long?

Wilson at 41 would make me happy enough.  The selection would mean that GB has signed off on the medicals.  At that point, injury risk is just part of the deal in the NFL.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem -  Every OT the Packers have taken in the 1st four rounds since 2007:

🏈 taller than 6040
🏈 shorter than 6056
🏈 heavier than 299
🏈 lighter than 322
🏈 shuttle in 4.75 or less
🏈 28 or more college starts (avg. # is 35)

Did anyone make a list of who fits these criteria in the upcoming draft?

28 or more college starts likely what separates quite a few prospects in a draft class for Green Bay.

I don't know if putting upper limits on the metrics is all that useful.  Like the reason the Packers have not drafted an 8 foot tall 400 lb offensive lineman with quick feet is that there wasn't that guy available to draft.

Like I don't believe the Packers would pass on 6'7" Joe Alt because he's too tall.  I think they would neglect to draft him since he's been gone for 15+ picks before they pick.

• Like 3

You guys drive me wild when you run analysis on Packers picks and use Ted’s time period. The stock in the draft is different each year. Position in the draft is different. There just isn’t enough volume on Gute to draw tendencies yet. Maybe after 2025 when we’re another 20 picks I’ll consider it more than the variables speaking. 

Here is Gute’s tendency: Take the entire picture into account. That’s his job.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tperk said:

28 or more college starts likely what separates quite a few prospects in a draft class for Green Bay.

Don't know. I know it would eliminate Mims on a couple accounts, and also eliminate Latham. 

53 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Correlation is not causation.

15 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Wilson at 41 would make me happy enough.  The selection would mean that GB has signed off on the medicals.  At that point, injury risk is just part of the deal in the NFL.

Quay Walker is 2 weeks older than Payton Wilson.

On 4/9/2024 at 4:53 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

So one thing I've been thinking about is that the draft isn't always for filling roster holes, it can also be used to double down on a position of strength that your roster already has in order to make those areas of your team even stronger or more resilient.

So what players could you see the Packers drafting at positions they are already fairly strong at with reasonably high picks?  The one I keep coming back to is Malachi Corley as the 5th WR- I think there's a real chance he's a store brand Deebo Samuel.

Corley is a good one. I think Johnny Wilson is in play as well. Gotta believe LaFleur would love to add a WR with his frame.

15 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

True to an extent but you're also selecting a player who historically has a higher risk of serious injury. Tearing two ACLs and having problems with both shoulders over a college-stretch is beyond just "bad luck." Even if he's currently healthy, what's the probable shelf life there for getting any consistent availability from the guy in the NFL? 

18 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm reading on the internet things that the Commanders offered the Bears the second overall pick and their first round picks in 25 and 26 for this year's first overall pick.  Bears rejected the trade.

Man, that's kind of insane value for Williams over Maye or Daniels.

I hope Washington picks Maye, he's going to bust IMO, which doesn't count for much. 

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm VERY skeptical that the Commanders actually offered that much.

It is insane value, but with Williams being from the DMV, from a marketing standpoint, it would be worth millions and millions of dollars to the Redskins. If you believe he's a lot better than Maye (I'm not a fan of this kid at all) and Daniels, who I think is s stud as well, it's worth it. 

You are likely right, it's just another internet story. 

If I'm the Bears, they clearly seem to have deemed Williams THE choice, you have to stand pat and make the choice. They've ****ed up the quarterback position since Sid Luckman. They really can't trade that pick. 

The Athletic - An Assistant coach regarding Drake Maye:

Maye is Herbert light. Take everything Herbert does and make it less. They’ll be compared (because of the prototype size), but there’s no comparison. I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we’ll be fired first.

:)