2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

I'm sure the Commanders had internal talks about "what is the most we would be willing to give up to get Caleb Williams" which were separate from the discussions of "is it actually worthwhile to make this offer to the Bears."

What leaked is probably the first part of that.

Been seeing a few more people bring up Jared Verse as a possible Packers pick at 25. Honestly, I hadn't given it much thought because I have always considered the guy a consensus 10-15 pick, but if he starts falling closer to 20, I wouldn't be upset if he's a guy we trade up to get. 
Edited by packfanfb

The 2024 NFL draft is fast approaching, and teams are finalizing their boards. Round 1 begins April 25 in Detroit (8 p.m. ET on ESPN, ABC, ESPN App).

To prepare, we're giving you intel from all angles. We had each of our 32 NFL Nation reporters answer questions about the mindset of the team they cover heading into the draft, then asked analysts Matt Miller and Jordan Reid to give the inside scoop on what they're hearing about each team and which prospects could be fits throughout the draft.

Green Bay Packers

Top picks: Nos. 25, 41, 58

With 11 picks in this draft, could the Packers move up in Round 1 for a left tackle?

They could very easily move up, whether it's for a tackle or someone else. General manager Brian Gutekunst has five picks in the first 91 selections and has talked repeatedly this offseason about the flexibility that gives him. However, don't expect a move way up, say, to the top 10, because Gutekunst said it's hard to justify giving up that much unless it's for a quarterback, and the Packers aren't in need there. Said Gutekunst: "To give up the kind of picks you're going to have to do ... You don't know what's going to transpire down the road and what you might need, it's never really made a ton of sense for me." -- Rob Demovsky

What we're hearing about the Packers' draft: The Packers are tied for a draft-high 11 picks, and offensive line and cornerback come up the most when discussing them. But I've also heard that the team has done a lot of work on the linebacker class, and finding a running mate for Quay Walker in the middle of the defense seems to be high on the priority list. With two second-round picks (Nos. 41 and 58), Texas A&M's Edgerrin Cooper could fit. And if Green Bay waits until Day 3 to address the position, people I've spoken to have suggested Kentucky's Trevin Wallace. -- Reid

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39901606/2024-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-rumors-news-answering-questions-all-32-teams-picks#GB

Edited by Chili

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Is that really the kind of in-depth content ESPN wants me to pay $10.99 a month for?

We’re a multi-million dollar enterprise around here at that rate.

10 hours ago, Chili said:

With two second-round picks (Nos. 41 and 58), Texas A&M's Edgerrin Cooper could fit.

Who’s to say Cooper will even be there at 41 much less 58?  We’re not the only team in need of a quality LB. 

Anyone have the data on what how many players we had rostered going into the draft for 2022 or 23? According to my count, the Packers currently stand at 71 players (I'm counting Wilson and Whelan because they will eventually sign their EFA tenders). 

That leaves 19 roster spots. IIRC, the Packers typically have UDFA classes in the 10-15 range. If the Packers use all 11 picks (and assuming they don't cut anyone currently on the roster), that leaves only 8 spots available for UDFA. 

Probably means nothing, but the numbers just give me the feeling we are going to the see the Packers draft around 9 players, not 11. I'm expecting Gute to trade up, maybe a few times, including possibly in the 1st round. 

13 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Only thirteen players attending the draft this year. Seems low compared to the last few years. 

Do you think that has anything to do with where the draft is this year?  (I do not know, and feel like it doesn't matter)

Because...if guys don't want to go to (looks it up), Detroit, who is to say they will want to come to Green Bay for the draft next year?

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Do you think that has anything to do with where the draft is this year?  (I do not know, and feel like it doesn't matter)

Because...if guys don't want to go to (looks it up), Detroit, who is to say they will want to come to Green Bay for the draft next year?

I just feel like if you're not a guaranteed top 15 pick what's the risk/reward for you?

Are they compensated for their troubles? Best case scenario you shake commishs hand. Worst case you get a camera in your face as you slide down the board.

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Who’s to say Cooper will even be there at 41 much less 58?  We’re not the only team in need of a quality LB. 

I said the same thing in Spilltray's mock draft.  I really think Cooper is going to go in the 20s or 30s, rather than mid to late second round. He has elite speed, and above average explosion testing per RAS.  He is a little light, but I think that will be fine as long as he doesn't constantly get entangled with OL.  In the tests that both of them ran, Cooper is pretty similar to Patrick Queen, who was drafted 28th overall. 

• Like 1