2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

47 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Anything is possible, but it would be pretty weird to bring in nothing but RT only prospects for visits if you weren't considering moving Tom inside.

Or...and hear me out, what if Green Bay doesn't view them as RT only prospects?

• Like 1

Just now, ReasonablySober said:

The fact that between the two of them they've only taken one snap at LT. 

Anything is possible. But like I said, I would be surprised. 

You know what position the Kansas City's starting LT played his final year at Oklahoma?  RT.  In fact, he played 576 out of his 580 snaps his final year at Oklahoma at RT.  Granted, he played LT his freshman year he was moved to RT for a reason.  Yet, he was the starting LT for the Chiefs.  And it's not like Walter Rouse was a scrub in college.  Rouse allowed 0 sacks and only 2 QB hits according to PFF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I would like the five best possible lineman to be on the field. But personally, yes, it would be very amusing. 

Is Elgton Jenkins a better LG or RT in your opinion? Not what he was graded at by some random website on the internet. In your opinion, because you want the five best possible linemen on the field, is Jenkins a better LG or RT from what you see?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You know what position the Kansas City's starting LT played his final year at Oklahoma?  RT.  In fact, he played 576 out of his 580 snaps his final year at Oklahoma at RT.  Granted, he played LT his freshman year he was moved to RT for a reason.  Yet, he was the starting LT for the Chiefs.  And it's not like Walter Rouse was a scrub in college.  Rouse allowed 0 sacks and only 2 QB hits according to PFF.

Like I said, anything is possible. 

But what I find interesting (and honestly, very baffling) is the resistance here to the idea that it might be in the best interest of the team to move Tom to the inside, provided they find an offensive tackle prospect they like. That the very notion of moving Tom off RT is a non-starter.

I like the idea of upgrading the interior, one of the few places the Packers were bad last season. The draft is deeper at OT than it is in IOL, so it makes sense to me that Green Bay would shuffle the board a bit to get the best possible offensive line out there.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Is Elgton Jenkins a better LG or RT in your opinion? Not what he was graded at by some random website on the internet. In your opinion, because you want the five best possible linemen on the field, is Jenkins a better LG or RT from what you see?

I have no idea. I'm not an offensive line expert. I rely on professionals to tell me that.

While we're in here, I can buy the idea that the Packers just like Tom more at OT and they feel good about replacing Myers and/or Rhyan with other players. 

What is legitimately laughable is they wouldn't move Tom because of his agent. That's insane. 

Edited by ReasonablySober

9 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Like I said, anything is possible. 

But what I find interesting (and honestly, very baffling) is the resistance here to the idea that it might be in the best interest of the team to move Tom to the inside, provided they find an offensive tackle prospect they like. That the very notion of moving Tom off RT is a non-starter.

I like the idea of upgrading the interior, one of the few places the Packers were bad last season. The draft is deeper at OT than it is in IOL, so it makes sense to me that Green Bay would shuffle the board a bit to get the best possible offensive line out there.

The whole LT vs RT prospect thing is a misnomer that really needs to have a slow, painful death.  You're a RT only prospect if you're not going to be able to handle being put on an island against a pass rusher with your QB not being able to see the pass rusher coming.  And it's not like Guyton showed a severe pass rush deficiency in college that makes you question his play translating to the NFL like say Teven Jenkins several years ago coming out of Oklahoma State.

And the idea of Tom moving inside works under the assumption that not only is Tom going to play at a reasonably high level at OG or OC, but that his replacement (Guyton or Mims) will also play at a high level.  We have one KNOWN value (Zach Tom at RT), two unknowns (prospect at RT and Tom at RG/OC), and a major question mark (Rhyan at RG).

It's easier to find above average interior OL play than it is to find top 5 tackle play. I think that's why people are against moving Tom off RT so easily. He legitimately shuts guys down. 

• Like 2