2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

And FWIW, I do not give two ****s if he never wins All-Pros at RT. Those mean **** all to me. Michael Roos won one All-Pro in a decade and he was a top 3-5 LT in football the entire time. Means nothing.

EDIT - And well, we just had a LT of our own that only won 2 of them in a decade that we knew how good he was. 

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The whole LT vs RT prospect thing is a misnomer that really needs to have a slow, painful death.  You're a RT only prospect if you're not going to be able to handle being put on an island against a pass rusher with your QB not being able to see the pass rusher coming.  And it's not like Guyton showed a severe pass rush deficiency in college that makes you question his play translating to the NFL like say Teven Jenkins several years ago coming out of Oklahoma State.

And the idea of Tom moving inside works under the assumption that not only is Tom going to play at a reasonably high level at OG or OC, but that his replacement (Guyton or Mims) will also play at a high level.  We have one KNOWN value (Zach Tom at RT), two unknowns (prospect at RT and Tom at RG/OC), and a major question mark (Rhyan at RG).

Either way they're still facing unknowns. Who plays center when Myers is eventually leaves? How will Rhyan perform as a full time RG? 

Presumably, if they take an OT high in this draft, they're of the belief that Tom can handle the move inside. I don't think anyone doubts that it's likely Tom would be very good at OG or C. It's also safe to say that if they're taking a guy high, they like him enough to be an eventual starter. Are both technically unknowns? Sure. But I like the Packers' history in this department.  

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

Either way they're still facing unknowns. Who plays center when Myers is eventually leaves? How will Rhyan perform as a full time RG? 

Presumably, if they take an OT high in this draft, they're of the belief that Tom can handle the move inside. I don't think anyone doubts that it's likely Tom would be very good at OG or C. It's also safe to say that if they're taking a guy high, they like him enough to be an eventual starter. Are both technically unknowns? Sure. But I like the Packers' history in this department.  

Depends on which OL they take. If they take Barton, there's a chance they took him with the intent to slide him in at OG this year and then eventually replace Myers himself. 

Just now, spilltray said:

The resistance to moving Tom to C for a rookie RT is that it still wouldn't be your best 5 because Meyers > Walker.

I think people spent too much time ****ting on Myers last year because he spent a lot of time covering for the **** next to him at RG. He's going to have a bounce back year this year, I feel. 

• Like 1

Just now, ReasonablySober said:

Except the Packers' coaching staff has been very positive in their opinion of Myers' play much to the dismay of fans.  Unless that's pure coach speak, and he's just talking up his guy that doesn't sound like a HC (and by extension GM) that's looking to replace Myers.  I don't think Myers is the guy getting replaced in this scenario.

And the latter is the only reason why I'm not convinced the Packers are going to go OT.  I'm not convinced the Packers think their OTs need to be rearranged.  I think if you asked the coaching staff, they think Zach Tom would be good at whatever position they asked him to play whether that be OT, OG, or C.  But I think when it comes to Gutekunst, I think he's also not going to be short in doing his due diligence.  And I think his comments about drafting a QB are a pretty clear indicator of that.  The Packers clearly have zero need at QB between Jordan Love and Sean Clifford, but they seem readily willing to take one.  I think they'd take an OT if the value hit the road there, but I don't think they're actively seeking an OT.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's easier to find above average interior OL play than it is to find top 5 tackle play. I think that's why people are against moving Tom off RT so easily. He legitimately shuts guys down. 

It's easier to find a bunch of one position that qualify as average than it is the five best? Fascinating analysis. I bet there's no way that's true of literally every other position on the field. 

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

It's easier to find a bunch of one position that qualify as average than it is the five best? Fascinating analysis. I bet there's no way that's true of literally every other position on the field. 

Yeah, my man, that's not at all what was said. Try putting your thinking cap on next time.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except the Packers' coaching staff has been very positive in their opinion of Myers' play much to the dismay of fans.  Unless that's pure coach speak, and he's just talking up his guy that doesn't sound like a HC (and by extension GM) that's looking to replace Myers.  I don't think Myers is the guy getting replaced in this scenario.

And the latter is the only reason why I'm not convinced the Packers are going to go OT.  I'm not convinced the Packers think their OTs need to be rearranged.  I think if you asked the coaching staff, they think Zach Tom would be good at whatever position they asked him to play whether that be OT, OG, or C.  But I think when it comes to Gutekunst, I think he's also not going to be short in doing his due diligence.  And I think his comments about drafting a QB are a pretty clear indicator of that.  The Packers clearly have zero need at QB between Jordan Love and Sean Clifford, but they seem readily willing to take one.  I think they'd take an OT if the value hit the road there, but I don't think they're actively seeking an OT.

For the record, I like the Packers offensive line just fine. They did a great job last season and I don't see an immediate need for anyone to be replaced. 

I'm saying if they did, moving Tom inside and replacing him with one of the many OT in this draft seems like the path of least resistance. It's a deep class. 

5 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

I've already said this, but the Packers literally did this before with the guy currently playing left guard. 

Categorically not the same thing: Tom at RT >>> Jenkins at RT. You could maybe argue that if we tried to groom him at tackle ala Colledge his body would be different, but really don't think the NFL operates like that anymore, especially with GB's O-line philosophy. Probabilistically it is harder to find a RT than a center, and Gute has even said things like "it would be hard to push the coaching staff to move a guy who is playing really well at tackle". Plus Gute has one offensive first round selection to his name, and we all Love that pick. 

Everybody keeps ragging on Jenkins at RT though that was after he just came back from injury. Question; before his injury, when he switched over to LT for a hot minute, how'd he look then?

8 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Everybody keeps ragging on Jenkins at RT though that was after he just came back from injury. Question; before his injury, when he switched over to LT for a hot minute, how'd he look then?

I said it a while ago, I'm not an offensive tackle expert. But he's graded out better at OT (on PFF) than he has at guard. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You know what position the Kansas City's starting LT played his final year at Oklahoma?  RT.  In fact, he played 576 out of his 580 snaps his final year at Oklahoma at RT.  Granted, he played LT his freshman year he was moved to RT for a reason.  Yet, he was the starting LT for the Chiefs.  And it's not like Walter Rouse was a scrub in college.  Rouse allowed 0 sacks and only 2 QB hits according to PFF.

The most penalized OT in the NFL?

8 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

The most penalized OT in the NFL?

Yea. The guy who allowed 7 QB hits and 24 pressures in 235 pass rushing snaps. (Walker was 3/33/515). He's definitely the example I would use of a college RT making the transition to LT in the pros.