2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

Also I feel like Myers deserves more love here. MLF and Steno asked a lot of him last year. 

For the price Myers will cost to re-sign, which will be cheap, as the Centre market is cheap and the familiarity he brings with his level of play, which will only get better, I think he is a no brainer re-sign.

We need depth and competition at RG. My take is get that later on in the draft. No point taking a Tackle to replace our current guys or to take a Tackle and shift them inside with our 1st pick. Seems like a luxury to do that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

For the price Myers will cost to re-sign, which will be cheap, as the Centre market is cheap and the familiarity he brings with his level of play, which will only get better, I think he is a no brainer re-sign.

We need depth and competition at RG. My take is get that later on in the draft. No point taking a Tackle to replace our current guys or to take a Tackle and shift them inside with our 1st pick. Seems like a luxury to do that

To me the whole point of a T is because Walker is just a guy. He had an up.and down season and yes he finished strong but he's definitely the weak link in the OL., and there is no depth after him and Tom anyway. It's a premium position and the current starter is a guy you'd prefer to replace.

• Like 1

I don't think there is enough sample size to imply Gute wouldn't draft Offense. The primum positions on offense;(OT and QB) have been stocked with vets, and the non premiums haven't had great value where GB has been picking.

9 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Yea. The guy who allowed 7 QB hits and 24 pressures in 235 pass rushing snaps. (Walker was 3/33/515). He's definitely the example I would use of a college RT making the transition to LT in the pros.

Pssssh... 7 more QB hits than you allowed...

oh wait.   😁

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

To me the whole point of a T is because Walker is just a guy. He had an up.and down season and yes he finished strong but he's definitely the weak link in the OL., and there is no depth after him and Tom anyway. It's a premium position and the current starter is a guy you'd prefer to replace.

You acknowledge Rasheed Walker finished strong. It is obvious to everyone he is an ascending player, given his season.  So the question is, what will his ceiling be ? 

Is that ceiling good enough to trust him being the LT long-term ? I don't see how you can call someone 'just a guy' when his star is rising and you have no idea where that ends up. Essentially you are making a guess. He has the measurables to be a high quality starter whether or not he reaches that step. The biggest knock on him before he was drafted was that he needed technique work to improve his consistency, which he is getting - not forgetting that the best way to get experience is playing real games.

So, I am disagreeing with you that he is 'a guy you would wish to replace'. It is still too early to be sure how good he will be.

Now, having said that, even if he stays as a long-term starter, the Packers need another OT, unless Jones or Tenuta are better than temporary placeholders (and they might be, as each of them is in his 3rd season learning). I'm betting the Packers DO get an OT, but even though it is a premium position to draft, the Packers have regularly addressed it after day 1 or even after day 2 and had very good results.

So, get a tackle, yes sure, but in round 1 or 2, perhaps not. I wouldn't rule out an early OT, but equally I wouldn't rule out an edge rusher, or D lineman either. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Except the Packers' coaching staff has been very positive in their opinion of Myers' play much to the dismay of fans.  Unless that's pure coach speak, and he's just talking up his guy that doesn't sound like a HC (and by extension GM) that's looking to replace Myers.  I don't think Myers is the guy getting replaced in this scenario.

And the latter is the only reason why I'm not convinced the Packers are going to go OT.  I'm not convinced the Packers think their OTs need to be rearranged.  I think if you asked the coaching staff, they think Zach Tom would be good at whatever position they asked him to play whether that be OT, OG, or C.  But I think when it comes to Gutekunst, I think he's also not going to be short in doing his due diligence.  And I think his comments about drafting a QB are a pretty clear indicator of that.  The Packers clearly have zero need at QB between Jordan Love and Sean Clifford, but they seem readily willing to take one.  I think they'd take an OT if the value hit the road there, but I don't think they're actively seeking an OT.

I think

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

I don't think there is enough sample size to imply Gute wouldn't draft Offense. The primum positions on offense;(OT and QB) have been stocked with vets, and the non premiums haven't had great value where GB has been picking.

To be fair, there isn't a sample size large enough to make any kind of determination on Gute's drafting strategy, and that's good. 

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You acknowledge Rasheed Walker finished strong. It is obvious to everyone he is an ascending player, given his season.  So the question is, what will his ceiling be ? 

Is that ceiling good enough to trust him being the LT long-term ? I don't see how you can call someone 'just a guy' when his star is rising and you have no idea where that ends up. Essentially you are making a guess. He has the measurables to be a high quality starter whether or not he reaches that step. The biggest knock on him before he was drafted was that he needed technique work to improve his consistency, which he is getting - not forgetting that the best way to get experience is playing real games.

So, I am disagreeing with you that he is 'a guy you would wish to replace'. It is still too early to be sure how good he will be.

Now, having said that, even if he stays as a long-term starter, the Packers need another OT, unless Jones or Tenuta are better than temporary placeholders (and they might be, as each of them is in his 3rd season learning). I'm betting the Packers DO get an OT, but even though it is a premium position to draft, the Packers have regularly addressed it after day 1 or even after day 2 and had very good results.

So, get a tackle, yes sure, but in round 1 or 2, perhaps not. I wouldn't rule out an early OT, but equally I wouldn't rule out an edge rusher, or D lineman either. 

A voice of reason 

It's too early to tell on where Walker's ceiling will be. If I had to guess he's a guy who will play 10+ years in the league and float around the league. Teams will always need tackles and he's already proven he can do a serviceable job. 

Not sure he's ever going to be elite, and the Packers may very well be thinking upgrade at his position. Massively big years for 3 guys on our offensive line this year. Walker, Myers and Rhyan are all guy in the tbd bucket whether the Packers would consider a second contract. 

It's not a bad thing, but if three of your 5 starters are somewhat question marks, additional assets are definitely required. Both because injuries are a thing in the NFL, and we have no depth we could say we count on in a pinch on the roster. 

• Like 1

2024 Draft IOL Prospects: Relative Athletic Scores (RAS) - Combine Edition - Steelers Depot

2024 NFL Draft OT Prospects: Relative Athletic Scores (RAS) – Combine Edition - Steelers Depot

There are a few guys missing because these articles were written before their pro days. Barton comes immediately to mind.

What is our cutoff for a RAS number on the O-line?

You draft gurus, how many of these guys are 'draftable,' according to the Packers measurables? I really want 3 O-linemen in this draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

2024 Draft IOL Prospects: Relative Athletic Scores (RAS) - Combine Edition - Steelers Depot

2024 NFL Draft OT Prospects: Relative Athletic Scores (RAS) – Combine Edition - Steelers Depot

There are a few guys missing because these articles were written before their pro days. Barton comes immediately to mind.

What is our cutoff for a RAS number on the O-line?

You draft gurus, how many of these guys are 'draftable,' according to the Packers measurables? I really want 3 O-linemen in this draft. 

Here you go. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

It's too early to tell on where Walker's ceiling will be. If I had to guess he's a guy who will play 10+ years in the league and float around the league. Teams will always need tackles and he's already proven he can do a serviceable job. 

Not sure he's ever going to be elite, and the Packers may very well be thinking upgrade at his position. Massively big years for 3 guys on our offensive line this year. Walker, Myers and Rhyan are all guy in the tbd bucket whether the Packers would consider a second contract. 

It's not a bad thing, but if three of your 5 starters are somewhat question marks, additional assets are definitely required. Both because injuries are a thing in the NFL, and we have no depth we could say we count on in a pinch on the roster. 

A voice of reason.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Because even playing better, he was still inconsistent and i don't think he's a long term answer. At best he's a cheap guy on his rookie deal but I'd hate to pay him starter money on a second deal. He could surprise me but the technique is still sloppy and he was just able to get away with it more when the offense got hot and defenders were on their heels.