2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Because even playing better, he was still inconsistent and i don't think he's a long term answer. At best he's a cheap guy on his rookie deal but I'd hate to pay him starter money on a second deal. He could surprise me but the technique is still sloppy and he was just able to get away with it more when the offense got hot and defenders were on their heels.

At his best he is a high quality starter, at his worst he is an average guy, so his best is not just 'being on a cheap rookie deal'.  You are slanting your narrative to fit your own preconceptions of him. You cannot know his ceiling any more than I can. The idea that the offense 'got hot' causing the opponents defense to play against him poorly later in the season is pretty fantastical. Let us wait and see what he CAN do, rather than try and guess what he can't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

At his best he is a high quality starter, at his worst he is an average guy, so his best is not just 'being on a cheap rookie deal'.  You are slanting your narrative to fit your own preconceptions of him. You cannot know his ceiling any more than I can. The idea that the offense 'got hot' causing the opponents defense to play against him poorly later in the season is pretty fantastical. Let us wait and see what he CAN do, rather than try and guess what he can't.

Its also possible that Walker peaked and the later part of 2023 was the high water mark and he regresses.  Not all young players continue to develop, and some regress.

Just now, squire12 said:

Its also possible that Walker peaked and the later part of 2023 was the high water mark and he regresses.  Not all young players continue to develop, and some regress.

I'm not disagreeing with you. He could be very good, he could regress, the future is yet to be written.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Because even playing better, he was still inconsistent and i don't think he's a long term answer. At best he's a cheap guy on his rookie deal but I'd hate to pay him starter money on a second deal. He could surprise me but the technique is still sloppy and he was just able to get away with it more when the offense got hot and defenders were on their heels.

He might surprise you.  Even if we draft an OT in RD 1 there is no guarantee he'll be able to beat out Walker.  It's always the stigma of being a 7th rd draft pick.  Taucher was too remember him?  Bak was a 4th rounder.  Kid was in essentially his rookie season last year.  He might just take some strides forward.  As it stands he is more than a jag.  Middle of the pack OT.  Next season he may be top 10.  We'll see he has a lot of football ahead of him.  Personally I'm really high on him he's definately not a liability out there.  

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. He could be very good, he could regress, the future is yet to be written.

For that reason alone the Packers should be looking to give him stiff competition.  I just have a hard time trusting the guy until I see it again.  This off-season is big for him.  Hope he's putting in good work.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

It's possible, but he got better once he got experience. He's a kid who was considered a high upside pick, and then he showed it. Hedging your bet with him would be like, I don't know, taking a tight end high. 

Edited by ReasonablySober

34 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

It's possible, but he got better once he got experience. He's a kid who was considered a high upside pick, and then he showed it. Hedging your bet with him would be like, I don't know, taking a tight end high. 

I don't really think so. I think the team played better and that made his shortcomings less obvious but I don't think his play improved as much over the course of the season as other players did. I don't see being that high on Walker going forward. He's good value but the very issues that make him a flyer project are still there.

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't really think so. I think the team played better and that made his shortcomings less obvious but I don't think his play improved as much over the course of the season as other players did. I don't see being that high on Walker going forward. He's good value but the very issues that make him a flyer project are still there.

I wouldn't have a problem upgrading from him. But given that 

• he's young
• has the physical traits you're looking for
• is under contract
• showed improvement

...I wouldn't make moving on a priority. I'd be looking to move on from Myers or Rhyan first. 

But given how well the offense looked, I wouldn't say moving on from any of the three is any kind of dire situation. The Packers roster is loaded. 

BPA across the board.

49 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Hedging your bet with him would be like, I don't know, taking a tight end high. 

Hedging your bet with a 6th OL is quite a bit different than hedging your bet with a 3rd TE IMO.

We've got two guys at TE (a position 1 or 2 guys play at a time) that everybody is pretty sold on going forward. We've got two guys on the OL (a position where 5 guys play at a time) everybody is pretty sold on going forward.

Even if our starting OL MAY be fine our depth is pretty nonexistent. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Hedging your bet with a 6th OL is quite a bit different than hedging your bet with a 3rd TE IMO.

We've got two guys at TE (a position 1 or 2 guys play at a time) that everybody is pretty sold on going forward. We've got two guys on the OL (a position where 5 guys play at a time) everybody is pretty sold on going forward.

Even if our starting OL MAY be fine our depth is pretty nonexistent. 

I don't think all five guys can play all five OL positions, but maybe I'm wrong. That'd be pretty cool if they could. 

39 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I wouldn't have a problem upgrading from him. But given that 

• he's young
• has the physical traits you're looking for
• is under contract
• showed improvement

...I wouldn't make moving on a priority. I'd be looking to move on from Myers or Rhyan first. 

But given how well the offense looked, I wouldn't say moving on from any of the three is any kind of dire situation. The Packers roster is loaded. 

BPA across the board.

If we want to run the ball. Rhyan and Myers have more of a spot on than Walker.