2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If we want to run the ball. Rhyan and Myers have more of a spot on than Walker.

Your desire to upgrade from Walker is no secret.  Who would you be targeting to replace him?

41 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I don't think all five guys can play all five OL positions, but maybe I'm wrong. That'd be pretty cool if they could. 

If it came down to just catastrophic injuries, options at each position 

LT:  Walker, Jenkins, Tom

LG: Jenkins, Newman, Rhyan

C:  Myers, Jenkins, Tom

RG: Rhyan, Jenkins, Newman

RT:  Tom, Jenkins

Not sure if Tom has taken any snaps at guard in regular season games.  Pretty sure he has in preseason games

45 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Your desire to upgrade from Walker is no secret.  Who would you be targeting to replace him?

I dig Guyton. But I'd just like competition in the room.  Before the end of day 2 for sure I'd want to see someone added.

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If it came down to just catastrophic injuries, options at each position 

LT:  Walker, Jenkins, Tom

LG: Jenkins, Newman, Rhyan

C:  Myers, Jenkins, Tom

RG: Rhyan, Jenkins, Newman

RT:  Tom, Jenkins

Not sure if Tom has taken any snaps at guard in regular season games.  Pretty sure he has in preseason games

So, your catastrophic injury situation for the offensive line has a total of 6 players. Which, by the way, I agree with, sort of. We definitely need to draft some offensive line and I want no part of Newman playing. It would be far better if he were not on the team. 

Edited by Old Guy

48 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So, your catastrophic injury situation for the offensive line has a total of 6 players. Which, by the way, I agree with, sort of. We definitely need to draft some offensive line and I want no part of Newman playing. It would be far better if he were not on the team. 

Just going by what players are under contract and that have played in regular season games.  

I am very certain that GB will add some OL draft picks to the situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

If we want to run the ball. Rhyan and Myers have more of a spot on than Walker.

With all due respect, I'm much more concerned about pass pro from my LT than run pro. 

33 minutes ago, Sandy said:

With all due respect, I'm much more concerned about pass pro from my LT than run pro. 

No ****. I agree. Not the point of that comment.

If you're going to replace someone and you want to retain the ability to run staight ahead, Tom inside isn't exactly step one on your way to that. Rhyan and Myers are big strong boys and they can get things moving. They have some blunders in pro from time to time but, just like Walker you can definitely pass and win with them. Walker moves pretty well, but IMO (which is too well documented) he's got shortcomings as well.

So if I'm looking high in the draft to upgrade the overall OL play, I think step one is LT. I think Guyton does everything Walker does, day 1, better. While also just being an absolute behemoth that I figure can take the run game to the next level. Even Morgan figures to be able to be stronger at the PoA, because of his ability to play with better pad level.

Also think Rhyan needs competition but I think that's an OG/C you can look for on day 3.

Edited by HighCalebR

21 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Walker moves pretty well, but IMO (which is too well documented) he's got shortcomings as well.

Rhetorically speaking, does he grow/play his way out of those shortcomings in time?

22 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

So if I'm looking high in the draft to upgrade the overall OL play, I think step one is LT. I think Guyton does everything Walker does, day 1, better. While also just being an absolute behemoth that I figure can take the run game to the next level. Even Morgan figures to be able to be stronger at the PoA, because of his ability to play with better pad level.

Both those guys are at least a season and a half away from contributing, though that's not to say that we can't roll with Walker another year before one of the two could potentially take over at that spot.

25 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Also think Rhyan needs competition but I think that's an OG/C you can look for on day 3.

Tanor Bartolini.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Oh we're gonna draft some OL, maybe even 4 of them depending on the way the board falls, *goes into their Ms. Cleo voice* believe it baby!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

No ****. I agree. Not the point of that comment.

If you're going to replace someone and you want to retain the ability to run staight ahead, Tom inside isn't exactly step one on your way to that. Rhyan and Myers are big strong boys and they can get things moving. They have some blunders in pro from time to time but, just like Walker you can definitely pass and win with them. Walker moves pretty well, but IMO (which is too well documented) he's got shortcomings as well.

Well, Guyton looks more like a project at this point. No way would he be a starter over Walker year one, if we take him it would be because we see a long-term player out of the ball of clay that he is right now. 

I want zero part of Morgan on this team. I imagine our coaching staff feels the same way. 

This draft is loaded with athletic o-line talent, and Rhyan's competition could come in any of the first five rounds. So could our third tackle. 

Suggesting that the strategy entering the draft should be to avoid interior linemen until day three seems a bit silly. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

Rhetorically speaking, does he grow/play his way out of those shortcomings in time?

Both those guys are at least a season and a half away from contributing, though that's not to say that we can't roll with Walker another year before one of the two could potentially take over at that spot.

Tanor Bartolini.

Oh we're gonna draft some OL, maybe even 4 of them depending on the way the board falls, *goes into their Ms. Cleo voice* believe it baby!

I do not think Walker changes his pad level problems, no. Other people do, that's fine.

I just disagree, think they can pro fine out the gate. But yeah starting Walker another year would also be fine.

Maybe he's the guy! Fully trust the organization to find those later dudes.

Lol yeah I think there'll be an influx brought in for sure. 

17 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Well, Guyton looks more like a project at this point. No way would he be a starter over Walker year one, if we take him it would be because we see a long-term player out of the ball of clay that he is right now. 

I want zero part of Morgan on this team. I imagine our coaching staff feels the same way. 

This draft is loaded with athletic o-line talent, and Rhyan's competition could come in any of the first five rounds. So could our third tackle. 

Suggesting that the strategy entering the draft should be to avoid interior linemen until day three seems a bit silly. 

Yeah, I just don't think that's the case. Will there be lumps? Yeah maybe. But I don't see Walker as devoid of lumps either.

Maybe they don't. Idk. I think he moves well and he's a strong dude, I've never talked to him.

I agree fully. Definitely trust Gute and his staff to load the OL with talent.

I just don't see it as necessary, I wouldn't reach if I didn't have to. Could it come earlier? Absolutely but I wouldn't be afraid to wait on the interior