2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

14 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I dig Guyton. But I'd just like competition in the room.  Before the end of day 2 for sure I'd want to see someone added.

I'll be mildly shocked if Gute doesn't add to the OL by the end of day 2.  Whoever the pick is, I am guessing GB will flip Tom to LT, and have Walker compete with the rookie at RT.  If not for the ongoing Bak injury fiasco, I expect Tom would already be locked in at LT.  Based entirely on prospect reviews, I keep landing on Suamataia in RD2 as the guy I want for GB. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll be mildly shocked if Gute doesn't add to the OL by the end of day 2.  Whoever the pick is, I am guessing GB will flip Tom to LT, and have Walker compete with the rookie at RT.  If not for the ongoing Bak injury fiasco, I expect Tom would already be locked in at LT.  Based entirely on prospect reviews, I keep landing on Suamataia in RD2 as the guy I want for GB. 

Why would we swap both of our tackles when it was not a problem with what they did last year? Seems like an unnecessary move. 

If that was the plan, week 2 last year would have been the time to do that. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

If you’re looking for some nice draft coverage that you can listen to and learn about prospects I recommend That Franchise Guy on Youboob. He’s a Packer fan that worked for PFF.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, persiandud said:

how come Morgan isn't very well liked on this forum? 

A few reasons for me. Former coaches talking about effort, conditioning and mental toughness being minuses for him.

Consistency issues also reported from former coaches.

Poor run blocking technique/results.

Length is the same as Barton, but he does not have the run blocking ability to succeed at guard if he fails at tackle. 

So, in essence, for all his natural athleticism, you have a guy with questionable length, technique, effort, coachability and mental ability. Might be a guy without a position in the NFL.

For all we know he's over some of the correctable issues, but from where I sit I want no part of him. 

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He's a pretentious turd. Let him be. Save yourself the IQ points and wasted keystrokes my friend. He's another fart in the wind.

Knock it off.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Why would we swap both of our tackles when it was not a problem with what they did last year? Seems like an unnecessary move. 

Last off-season, the plan was for Bak to play.  Tom wasn't taking LT snaps in camp, those were going to Walker/Nijman.  Bak actually played well in week 1, then unexpectedly missed week 2.  At the time, it wasn't immediately decided that he'd be going to IR.  Bak didn't go to IR until late September, and by that time, Jenkins was also injured and missing games.  Flipping Tom/Walker while also replacing Jenkins would not have been ideal to say the least.  At that point, GB was just trying to keep Love from getting killed. 

If GB has any plans to flip Tom to LT, now is the perfect time for it.  I am not "convinced" it will happen, but my guess is that it will.  As much as anything, I have a hard time imagining GB plans to keep Walker at LT and pay him starting LT AAV on his next deal.  Tom getting a big 2nd contract from GB seems like it's almost a given.  With Walker's next deal coming due at the same time as Tom, Gute will almost certainly be hedging his bets on signing Walker to another contract.  It would be crazy not to.  I don't think Walker is a bad player. I just don't think the stars are aligning for him to be a Packer beyond 2025.

Edited by Mazrimiv

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Last off-season, the plan was for Bak to play.  Tom wasn't taking LT snaps in camp, those were going to Walker/Nijman.  Bak actually played well in week 1, then unexpectedly missed week 2.  At the time, it wasn't immediately decided that he'd be going to IR.  Bak didn't go to IR until late September, and by that time, Jenkins was also injured and missing games.  Flipping Tom/Walker while also replacing Jenkins would not have been ideal to say the least.  At that point, GB was just trying to keep Love from getting killed. 

If GB has any plans to flip Tom to LT, now is the perfect time for it.  I am not "convinced" it will happen, but my guess is that it will.  As much as anything, I have a hard time imagining GB plans to keep Walker at LT and pay him starting LT AAV on his next deal.  Tom getting a big 2nd contract from GB seems like it's almost a given.  With Walker's next deal coming due at the same time as Tom, Gute will almost certainly be hedging his bets on signing Walker to another contract.  It would be crazy not to.  I don't think Walker is a bad player. I just don't think the stars are aligning for him to be a Packer beyond 2025.

Agree, to many issues to flop them last year, Toms is better in every category that matters then Walker, better feet, hands, anchor, agility.

I still think we may draft Guyton and let he and Walker battle for RT, or even let Guyton play RG, whatever I could see us take 2 or 3 OL in this draft class.

if anything seems predictable it's Guty going heavy on positions that need rebuilding, another t and g/c seem very predictable to me.

17 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If they were going to flip Tom to LT, they probably would have already mentioned it this offseason IMO.

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Walker has been a LT his whole life I believe. Much bigger transition than many people think. 

I think it is an unnecessary complication of a problem that doesn’t exist.

Draft a LT day two to start in 20205 if we don’t believe in Walker.   

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

Agree with various points on this.  They didn't switch Tom early last year, they were good with Tom at RT late last year, so most likely they won't flip them.  But yeah, *IF* they hypothetically wanted to do that, doing it from the start in camp would be the time.  

To me it seems an unneeded flip.  Walker played LT in college and took a while to get good there in pro.  If you're spending a high-pick to compete, that guy will have been LT in college.  Seems more likely that both will be able to play their best and compete the best competing at their familiar LT side.  

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Agree with various points on this.  They didn't switch Tom early last year, they were good with Tom at RT late last year, so most likely they won't flip them.  But yeah, *IF* they hypothetically wanted to do that, doing it from the start in camp would be the time.  

To me it seems an unneeded flip.  Walker played LT in college and took a while to get good there in pro.  If you're spending a high-pick to compete, that guy will have been LT in college.  Seems more likely that both will be able to play their best and compete the best competing at their familiar LT side.  

Quite a few of the OT's expected to go in RD1 were strictly RT's in college.  If GB took Guyton at #25, I would expect Tom to be flipped to LT.  Mims also played RT in college, but I'd expect GB to slot him at LT and have him compete with Walker.  If GB somehow landed Fuaga or Latham, I'd definitely expect Tom to be flipped.  I think GB will need to know how the draft plays out before deciding where they want to put Tom/Walker heading into 2024.

• Like 2