2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

OT Looks:

Amarius Mims: 2nd round. 

Injury is the biggest red flag on Mims. I really like what he put on tape, he ate up Ohio State's defense. He's got excellent size and natural drive skills. He moves very well. He's more of a slider than a kick stepper, and he's not the smoothest most natural athlete with a couple of small balance issues, but man is he good at what he does. Absolutely love the anchor. This is a top 10 pick on tape alone, but can't turn the card in at 25 given his injury 

Joe Alt: Mid 1st round.

I can see why everybody likes Alt. He's long and athletic. He moves his feet well, he does well locking guys out with his long frame. He reminds me a lot of Decker with the Lions. Not an elite anchor when guys get into him which isn't very often. I could see him having an adjustment period as he comes into the league. He's good, not great as a run blocker. He isn't all encompassing which you would like from a guy with his size, but leverage is a tough game at that height. 

JC Latham: Mid 1st round.

Latham is the most physically gifted of the Offensive Lineman in this draft. He's an absolute load in the run game. He's quick out of his stance. He anchors like a wall. He finishes his blocks regularly. But ******* hell does this dude make a bunch of mental mistakes. Every time I'm ready to declare this guy a top 5 pick, he screws up a stunt or gets lost on a blitz pickup. This is a guy that the interviews need to sell me on. I've heard some say that he's slow laterally in the run game. I don't have an issue with it. He doesn't reach guys cleanly all that often, but he takes them downfield. 

Olumuwiya Fashanu: Mid 1st Round

Fashanu is a good but not great athlete. Not a great drive blocker, but pretty good. Not the quickest first step, but pretty good. Not the best anchor, but pretty good. He's pretty good at just about everything, with the exception of his brain. I can't say enough good things about his football IQ. He doesn't really make mistakes. He eats up stunts like nobody's business. He's the cleanest read in this draft. He's going to be a plug and play Tackle for a long time. I could see a GM or a HC liking the surety of this pick and taking him early. Good player. 

Taliese Fuaga: Early 2nd Round

At the moment, he's a Guard. Shuffles, doesn't kick step and it costs him depth. That will be the kiss of death in the pros. If you're going to play him on the perimeter, it's going to be a complete rebuild of his lower body technique. I don't think he has it in him though, just lacks the flexibility to hang out there. Inside he'll be good, though it will be a transition for him. This is something of a project, but with the right artist and opportunity, he could be a very high end Guard, especially in pass pro.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

So now we're changing Tom's position, but it's to left tackle? Wild.

What would be wild about changing a RT to LT? Lol. That's the most unwind position you could change him too.

Now we're changing a MLB to WLB? Wild.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What would be wild about changing a RT to LT? Lol. That's the most unwind position you could change him too.

Now we're changing a MLB to WLB? Wild.

I don't know why you would do that given Walker is on the roster and showed himself to be a solid starter in his second year. 

57 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I don't know why you would do that given Walker is on the roster and showed himself to be a solid starter in his second year. 

Of the team takes a RT with a top 41 pick, and moves Tom to LT, that should be an easy hint for all of us to take that they don't think what Rasheed showed is sustainable for him. It's all hypothetical at this point, they could really like him too.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Of the team takes a RT with a top 41 pick, and moves Tom to LT, that should be an easy hint for all of us to take that they don't think what Rasheed showed is sustainable for him. It's all hypothetical at this point, they could really like him too.

That would leave us with a rookie RT and Sean Rhyan at RG. That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Think I'd rather have that rookie tackle be a potential LT and let Walker and the rookie battle out who plays next to Jenkins. 

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That would leave us with a rookie RT and Sean Rhyan at RG. That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Think I'd rather have that rookie tackle be a potential LT and let Walker and the rookie battle out who plays next to Jenkins. 

Seems like you are stressing about nothing. 

57 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Then you'd have a rookie LT and Rhyan at RG. I see no difference 

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Then you'd have a rookie LT and Rhyan at RG. I see no difference 

It could mean you still have Walker at LT for a year. It would also mean they have a vet next to them to help them out. 

44 minutes ago, R T said:

Seems like you are stressing about nothing. 

Seems like you made that up out of whole cloth. I was responding to a post. Giving a counterpoint. You know, things people do on an internet board. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It could mean you still have Walker at LT for a year. It would also mean they have a vet next to them to help them out. 

I don't think OL is really a spot you worry about rookies, they're either ready to play or they aren't. Tom played with no issues as a rook, Jenkins too.

7 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

So now we're changing Tom's position, but it's to left tackle? Wild.

Is it just me or does this kind of talk from the team happen every offseason? It's always one player who has proven a fair amount or another dude that has shown plenty of signs of promise but there's not specific position for him. We know Tom can play any of the 5 positions, it's why we drafted him; but I'm pretty sure all this talk about how he's a HOF Center, an All-Pro Guard, and a Pro Bowl RT is just hyping a guy TBH.

27 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

Is it just me or does this kind of talk from the team happen every offseason? It's always one player who has proven a fair amount or another dude that has shown plenty of signs of promise but there's not specific position for him. We know Tom can play any of the 5 positions, it's why we drafted him; but I'm pretty sure all this talk about how he's a HOF Center, an All-Pro Guard, and a Pro Bowl RT is just hyping a guy TBH.

Oh yes. We were playing this game with Jenkins in '22 because his contract was almost up and the worry was we'd have to pay him premium Tackle money in an extension. Last year we gave lip service to converting one of our CBs into Safety(the favorite seemed to be Rasul, but then we traded him). You can even go back to the prior decade and see such tidbits as possibly bringing Clay inside once his pass rush skills started to decline.

• Like 1

If we take an OL early there is a good chance they arent starting in week 1, but they are in the playoffs. Its hard to have all 5 of those guys stay healthy.

The drop off to newman is so massive. You cant go into the year with that as your first backup plan. 

• Like 2