2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think OL is really a spot you worry about rookies, they're either ready to play or they aren't. Tom played with no issues as a rook, Jenkins too.

Yet, Rhyan was nowhere near ready to step on the field as a rookie. Not to mention rookie 1st rounders bust on the offensive line all the time. 

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yet, Rhyan was nowhere near ready to step on the field as a rookie. Not to mention rookie 1st rounders bust on the offensive line all the time. 

Centers, Guards and Offensive Tackles are the most successful first round picks (except for Running Backs, that are second only to Centers).

https://www.the33rdteam.com/assessing-first-round-hit-rate-at-every-nfl-position/

The table takes players from the 2013 to 2017 draft to arrive at their figures.

Still, while they are the only positions at 50% or above success rate, they still fail often. Safeties and Linebackers are much worse at 15.4% and 20%. CBs, DLs and WRs are all below 40%.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Then they just play Walker? 

Kind of what I suggested. They play Walker for a year and give the rookie a chance to adjust and develop. It might not take a year, but sometimes throwing rookies in before they can adjust to the NFL is a recipe for creating a bust. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Kind of what I suggested. They play Walker for a year and give the rookie a chance to adjust and develop. It might not take a year, but sometimes throwing rookies in before they can adjust to the NFL is a recipe for creating a bust. 

I'm not even sure what the argument is here.  Of course there will be competition in camp to determine who starts.

• Like 1

I have to give the media mock draft guys credit.  They are so all over the place on who will be available at #25 that I don't know what to expect.  I assume the final mocks next week will be a little more consistent.  I don't remember anyone connecting GB to Quay in 2022 until a few days before the draft.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not even sure what the argument is here.  Of course there will be competition in camp to determine who starts.

Team showed last year the competition will last the entire season if needed.    Walker/Nijman and Runyan/Rhyan can attest to their willingness to shuffle not only during the week, but regularly during games as well.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Exactly this. It's player-by-player. There are a lot of offensive lineman in this draft who will be fine starting week one. But our FO might want one of the projects. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to give the media mock draft guys credit.  They are so all over the place on who will be available at #25 that I don't know what to expect.  I assume the final mocks next week will be a little more consistent.  I don't remember anyone connecting GB to Quay in 2022 until a few days before the draft.

This site compiles lists they find from close to 2500 mock drafts/rankings/etc. Probably the closest to a consensus ranking:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024?pos=ALL

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You just have a camp battle and let the better man play, you don't need to act on fear because one is a rookie.

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Seems like you made that up out of whole cloth. I was responding to a post. Giving a counterpoint. You know, things people do on an internet board. 

I was responding to your post. Giving the counterpoint that you don't need to have a panic attack over the OL situation. You know, like things people do on an internet board. 

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Centers, Guards and Offensive Tackles are the most successful first round picks (except for Running Backs, that are second only to Centers).

https://www.the33rdteam.com/assessing-first-round-hit-rate-at-every-nfl-position/

The table takes players from the 2013 to 2017 draft to arrive at their figures.

Still, while they are the only positions at 50% or above success rate, they still fail often. Safeties and Linebackers are much worse at 15.4% and 20%. CBs, DLs and WRs are all below 40%.

I almost like their assessment.  However:  A “hit” was defined as a drafted player who signs a second contract with the team that they played their rookie contract on.   I think there is a hole in their criteria.  This would make a player like Patrick Queen, who started 67 of 67 games for the Ravens a "miss."  And though neither were a first round pick, that would make John Runyan Jr, and JC Tretter "misses" for the Packers.  I do understand that they need to make some kind of objective measure for their study, I just think that there are too many exceptions for it to be a reliable rule.

• Like 4

Given the fact that Gute likes to draft super athletic guys that might need some time to develop, and given the fact that MLF likes big OL guys, and given the fact that we have two Ts already in-house as starters, I'm predicting that Mims will be the pick if he's there at 25, but I'm unusually wrong.