2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

6 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Espns board is so different from pff. mdd also is quite different. As is nfl draft buzz. I dont remember it being this variable in the lead up.

I definitely see a lot of tackles going R1 across all sites though

PFF has a slide bar so that you can adjust the player rankings away from their big board and to the public boards.

It's fun to play around with that, I usually go 50/50 on that slide scale.  The more I go to the public boards, the more I get a DL like Murphy or Newton falling, usually along with DeJean.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

PFF has a slide bar so that you can adjust the player rankings away from their big board and to the public boards.

It's fun to play around with that, I usually go 50/50 on that slide scale.  The more I go to the public boards, the more I get a DL like Murphy or Newton falling, usually along with DeJean.

I dont pay for pff so i dont have that kind of almighty power. Murphy falls on MDD way more often. 

Newton is there at 25 on most simulations at most sites. 

Dejean seems like 33/66 there/not there. The board falls really nicely if you are able to get dejean in r1 and are content with our offensive tackles. Can usually get 2 of the 3 (DL, ILB, safety), then either a rb or guard with 91. 

I like how ESPN gives you a % likelihood a player would be available at your pick and % likelihood available at next pick. Seems better than a "grade" to me.  

8 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Probably have Wiggins guard 170 lb Devonta Smith in this instance. 

Yea this forces you to put him on a certain side every play and follow smith around. Makes it really hard to mask zone coverage.

Its a problematic approach.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Yea this forces you to put him on a certain side every play and follow smith around. Makes it really hard to mask zone coverage.

Its a problematic approach.  

I doubt Wiggins is on our board ... he's too light and thinly built.

11 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Oh yes. We were playing this game with Jenkins in '22 because his contract was almost up and the worry was we'd have to pay him premium Tackle money in an extension. Last year we gave lip service to converting one of our CBs into Safety(the favorite seemed to be Rasul, but then we traded him). You can even go back to the prior decade and see such tidbits as possibly bringing Clay inside once his pass rush skills started to decline.

I will die on the hill that Clay should of been moved inside full time and he would of been an all pro ILB well into his 30s

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Espns board is so different from pff. mdd also is quite different. As is nfl draft buzz. I dont remember it being this variable in the lead up.

I definitely see a lot of tackles going R1 across all sites though

PFF and ESPN are wildly different for me when it comes to how the top OL come off the board. 

When I run PFF (unpaid), it is almost always down to Morgan and Suamataia for OT's at #25, and neither will make it to #41.  Amegadjie is gone by #58. 

On ESPN, I usually have Mims, Guyton or Barton available at #25, and occasionally Fuaga or Latham.  Suamatia often lasts into RD3, and Amegadjie is pretty much always available at #91.  I blame Kiper.

I just hate that it's mid-April and we're still having these conversations. Draft should be over by now! Hate that we always have to wait til end of April lol.

EDIT - 2014 Draft was May 8th through the 10th. Ouch.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

I really wonder how much the Packers are going to try to acquire 2025 picks in their various draft trades, just because you want to make as many as you can when the draft is in your own building.

Like this is predictable, but also not a terrible idea.

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

PFF and ESPN are wildly different for me when it comes to how the top OL come off the board. 

When I run PFF (unpaid), it is almost always down to Morgan and Suamataia for OT's at #25, and neither will make it to #41.  Amegadjie is gone by #58. 

On ESPN, I usually have Mims, Guyton or Barton available at #25, and occasionally Fuaga or Latham.  Suamatia often lasts into RD3, and Amegadjie is pretty much always available at #91.  I blame Kiper.

Yea i dont even look at morgan or suamataia at 25. 

Usually 3 or 4 tackles go between 19 and 24. If gb wants one of those guys they will have to go get him

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Which is to add nothing to the conversation other than pick fly **** out of pepper. 

Not sure I could discern the fly**** from pepper...so I'd probably just toss it all.
How many of you had a brief thought I was gonna say "probably just eat it" ? :)

Seeing Devonta Smith get a 25m/yr extension. WR market is just insane. Talking myself into the idea of taking WR high every year and trading them once their rookie contracts are up. 

Hypothetical scenario: Watson kicks his hammy issues and plays 2 healthy seasons where he's dominant, 1300+ yds and 12+ TDs. Doubs proves to be a high end WR #2

Next offseason, a team offers us a 2025 2nd for Doubs. 

2026 offseason a team offers us a similar trade package for Christian Watson that AJ Brown got(1st and a 3rd) 

Do you take either of those trade packages with Wicks, Reed, Melton and whatever players we draft over the next 2 drafts waiting in the wings?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Seeing Devonta Smith get a 25m/yr extension. WR market is just insane. Talking myself into the idea of taking WR high every year and trading them once their rookie contracts are up. 

Hypothetical scenario: Watson kicks his hammy issues and plays 2 healthy seasons where he's dominant, 1300+ yds and 12+ TDs. Doubs proves to be a high end WR #2

Next offseason, a team offers us a 2025 2nd for Doubs. 

2026 offseason a team offers us a similar trade package for Christian Watson that AJ Brown got(1st and a 3rd) 

Do you take either of those trade packages with Wicks, Reed, Melton and whatever players we draft over the next 2 drafts waiting in the wings?

Ya i would pull the trigger on both of those deals