2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

23 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Seeing Devonta Smith get a 25m/yr extension. WR market is just insane. Talking myself into the idea of taking WR high every year and trading them once their rookie contracts are up. 

Hypothetical scenario: Watson kicks his hammy issues and plays 2 healthy seasons where he's dominant, 1300+ yds and 12+ TDs. Doubs proves to be a high end WR #2

Next offseason, a team offers us a 2025 2nd for Doubs. 

2026 offseason a team offers us a similar trade package for Christian Watson that AJ Brown got(1st and a 3rd) 

Do you take either of those trade packages with Wicks, Reed, Melton and whatever players we draft over the next 2 drafts waiting in the wings?

1300 yards and 12 TDs per? Just pay him.  High salaries only hurt if the player isn't producing.  In that scenario, pay Watson, trade Doubs.  Even then, I might just play the 2025 season with Doubs and take my 3rd round comp pick when the time comes.  You can't pay everybody.  But you do pay your great players.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

1300 yards and 12 TDs per? Just pay him.  High salaries only hurt if the player isn't producing.  In that scenario, pay Watson, trade Doubs.  Even then, I might just play the 2025 season with Doubs and take my 3rd round comp pick when the time comes.  You can't pay everybody.  But you do pay your great players.  

Injury risk is still there. In this hypothetical also, contract he will demand will be north of 30m.

30m to use on OL and defense plus a 1st and 3rd. It's an easy decision on my end.

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Assumed two healthy seasons with each season being 1300 and 12.

And there is talk about trading the guy?  My word.

We have always been, and will always be....a draft and develop team.  We pay guys who break through and produce big time.

With all that Watson has (physical talents), he's easily the one I'm paying.  Then like you, if Doubs comes through big time, I'm taking my comp pick and probably paying Reed next.

But yeah, we will pay our players.  No doubt.

To further this thought, we just paid Rashan Gary....coming off an injury and still not hitting 10 sacks in any year since he's been drafted.  But the kid developed and is a very good player.  We paid him.

No reason to treat WR's differently.  

There were only 7 WR's last year that reached 1300 yards.  Of those, only two had 12 or more TD's.  We aren't talking that these were "good" years, they were elite years.  You pay the man.

24 players had 10+ sacks last year.  Just for comparison purposes.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To further this thought, we just paid Rashan Gary....coming off an injury and still not hitting 10 sacks in any year since he's been drafted.  But the kid developed and is a very good player.  We paid him.

There were only 7 WR's last year that reached 1300 yards.  Of those, only two had 12 or more TD's.  We aren't talking that these were "good" years, they were elite years.  You pay the man.

While I agree with the logic, we have a long history of successfully drafting WRs. Pass Rushers and defense in general on the other hand..

I just don't believe in paying WRs big money. They're completely dependent on another position(QB) and indirectly dependent on 5 other positions(OL). It doesn't matter if you have prime Jerry Rice and Randy Moss if your QB can't get him the ball or doesn't have time to

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Seeing Devonta Smith get a 25m/yr extension. WR market is just insane. Talking myself into the idea of taking WR high every year and trading them once their rookie contracts are up. 

Hypothetical scenario: Watson kicks his hammy issues and plays 2 healthy seasons where he's dominant, 1300+ yds and 12+ TDs. Doubs proves to be a high end WR #2

2026 offseason a team offers us a similar trade package for Christian Watson that AJ Brown got(1st and a 3rd) 

Do you take either of those trade packages with Wicks, Reed, Melton and whatever players we draft over the next 2 drafts waiting in the wings?

I would have a hard time paying a guy with Smith's production that kind of money. His production has not been bad by any stretch, but roughly 1/10th of your cap for a guy who is not top 10 at his position. smh

The way these deals are going one has to wonder if GM and owners know how much larger the cap is going to be after the next CBA. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

You pay one of them and trade the other. You also start planning for this in next year's draft by addressing a position that might not otherwise need to be addressed.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I would say that is the one minor contention I have with your post. WR is not a premium position. Regarding Devonte Smith, 25 million for a not top 10 WR is an easy, let him walk, for me. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Just realized there are 3 top rated OTs whose names are some rearrangement of the letters "A, F, G, N, U"

or thereabouts

Yea this years draft crossword puzzle is a doozy

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You pay jordan love and an offensive line so the bo meltons of the world can go out there and catch 1000 yards. take the picks to keep under the cap and invest in high level athleticism on the defensive side of the ball. 

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You pay one of them and trade the other. You also start planning for this in next year's draft by addressing a position that might not otherwise need to be addressed.

This ☝️ 

1. Trade rather than just letting them walk.
2. Keep priming the pump...bringing in talent before we're at "contract years" with the other guys. Gives us options and keeps things running smoothly.

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Just realized there are 3 top rated OTs whose names are some rearrangement of the letters "A, F, G, N, U"

or thereabouts

How many points is that in scrabble? 

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

or thereabouts

We're going to draft Nu ***, aren't we?

• Like 1