2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

You can't pay everyone. RB clearly isn't worth top end money and the market shows that. WR, depth is more important than having top guys and paying 1-2 top guys hurts your ability to have the flexibility to spread the ball around. I don't see why you are having such a a hard time understanding this concept and instead are spouting hyperbolic BS like this 

The QB comment was hyperbolic, yes.  There is nothing hyperbolic at all about fans not wanting to pay RB's and now apparently WR's.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Overload the room?  What do you honestly think the return would be?  Take a look at the Montez Sweat trade if you want to know the answer.

Chase can probably get a Davante Adams level deal 1+2, I don't think Sweat is a relevant comparison. Higgins can probably get a late 1 or a 2+3. I'd prefer the 2+3. That gives you 3-4 extra picks plus your own, draft 3-4 wr over the next 2 years. Keep drafting 1-2 wr every year. This would make a better WR than paying Higgins and Chase because having 4-5 guys to spread the ball around is better than focusing on 1-2 top guys 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

The QB comment was hyperbolic, yes.  There is nothing hyperbolic at all about fans not wanting to pay RB's and now apparently WR's.

Not paying RB has pretty obviously been proven the smart move.

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

Chase will probably retrieve a top 20 pick and a 2nd or 3rd. 

Higgins could probably net a 2nd or early 3rd. 

A RD3 for Higgins seems about right, the "early" part may or may not be true.  I think CIN would take GB's #91 for Higgens in a heartbeat, and GB fans would say it was a mistake.

I disagree on Chase.  Teams aren't giving premium picks for the privilege of paying the contract you don't want to pay. 

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Chase can probably get a Davante Adams level deal 1+2, I don't think Sweat is a relevant comparison. Higgins can probably get a late 1 or a 2+3. I'd prefer the 2+3. That gives you 3-4 extra picks plus your own, draft 3-4 wr over the next 2 years. Keep drafting 1-2 wr every year. This would make a better WR than paying Higgins and Chase because having 4-5 guys to spread the ball around is better than focusing on 1-2 top guys 

You don't think Sweat is a valid comparison because... why?  It doesn't fit your narrative?  Or are young edge rushers not worth paying either? 

I can only hope CIN does trade Higgens and/or Chase just so we can see the reality of what these players are worth in trade.

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I disagree on Chase.  Teams aren't giving premium picks for the privilege of paying the contract you don't want to pay. 

You are just wrong there. Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill are where the market is. Chase would definitely be in that tier of conversation.

Sweat isn't a comparison because it's a not a WR, was a mid season trade, and was just an ok pass rusher 

So just to be clear on this, teams should definitely pay out 2nd contracts to very good/elite players on the OL and (debatably) QB, but should definitely not pay out 2nd contracts to very good/elite RB's, WR's and (presumably) TE's

Do I have this correct?

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

You are just wrong there. Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill are where the market is. Chase would definitely be in that tier of conversation.

Sweat isn't a comparison because it's a not a WR, was a mid season trade, and was just an ok pass rusher 

Adams and Hill were where the market was at two years ago, before the WR contract market exploded.  Those deals are not where the market is at now.  Sweat is just an ok  edge the same way Higgens is just an ok WR.

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So just to be clear on this, teams should definitely pay out 2nd contracts to very good/elite players on the OL and (debatably) QB, but should definitely not pay out 2nd contracts to very good/elite RB's, WR's and (presumably) TE's

Do I have this correct?

Smaug would be a great cap manager. 

• Like 1

Adams and Hill were where the market was at two years ago, before the WR contract market exploded.  Those deals are not where the market is at now.  Sweat is just an ok  edge the same way Higgens is just an ok WR.

Sweat played better last year than he had previously. Higgins has been more consistently at that relative level. A player traded in October is worth less than a trade in March/April.

As far as who to pay, it depends on the player/team/money. A RB who is very good in both the run and pass game, 12 mil ish isn't awful but more often than not RB don't physically hold up for second contracts 

For WR, teams that have 1-2 top guys like that generally surround them with a bunch of Allen Lazards and Jeff Janis' and force feed their top guys. Remember Rodgers staring down Adams while ignoring guys running open? This tends to happen when you have clear top guys like that. Offenses are better when you have 4-5 guys competing for snaps and catches than it is focusing on your "stars".

You know what's really weird?  The Packers offense was terrible last year while their 10M RB was injured, and they had to depend on the RD2 pick on a rookie deal.  And then Gute turned around and gave another RB a big contract.  What a fool!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Remember Rodgers staring down Adams while ignoring guys running open? This tends to happen when you have clear top guys like that. Offenses are better when you have 4-5 guys competing for snaps and catches than it is focusing on your "stars".

Yes, I actually do remember this.  The fact that you view this as a WR issue is what I'm a little confused by.

• Like 1

You know what's really weird?  The Packers offense was terrible last year while their 10M RB was injured, and they had to depend on the RD2 pick on a rookie deal.  And then Gute turned around and gave another RB a big contract.  What a fool!

Maybe if instead of paying 10 mil to one guy at the most injury prone position, they had invested in more potential #1 options (we had already seen Dillon want that) instead of being dependent on Jones, that problem wouldn't have happened. Also 12 mil is 1/2 a top wr contract and you usually only have 1 on the field instead of 3-4.