2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

44 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Mims is basically the ideal redshirt. He may force his way onto the field as a rookie, but he doesn't have to play. The Packers are already set with starters across the line. He could take a year, get his body in a better spot, learn the nuances of NFL blocking, and take over in '25 when Myers leaves, Tom kicks inside, and a spot at RT opens up. 

It is my great hope that he's either gone by #25, or somehow slips to the second round.

I view him like Guyton (though I like Guyton better).  Big guys like that shouldn't move like him.  But the lack of snaps really concerns me.

Like you said, ideally he is a redshirt, and I hate taking redshirts, so either Mims or Guyton will be our first round pick, just because it will make me buy a new remote and/or television.

27 minutes ago, R T said:

Don't really get Nagler's comment, Mims is one of the most likely players to be drafted by the Packers at 25.

1. He said don't "before you dismiss it," because the guy got the Quay Walker pick when everybody dismissed it.

2. The Packers do not draft 6'8 OT's historically. 

Both of Nagler's comments were historically correct. 

I'm not sure what he said that you don't understand, and he pretty much admitted drafting Mims at 25 is a real possibility. If he's there. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Also can we enjoy the guys we got on this team and the run they’re about to go on before we start fantasizing about trading them away

If you haven't figured it out, we all think we're amateur GM's who just haven't gotten their opportunity to prove to the world how smart we are. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If you haven't figured it out, we all think we're amateur GM's who just haven't gotten their opportunity to prove to the world how smart we are. 

That’s what keeps me coming back 🤣🤣

Barton and Mims have Gute's fingerprints all over them. Um, er, I mean Barton and Mims are Gute's kind of players. Mims is super athletic, but a little raw like Gary, LVN, and some others I'm forgetting right now, but with a sky's the limit ceiling. But Mims is also going to have to have some smarts and a great work ethic for Gute to draft him in round 1. We don't know enough about Mims to know if he checks those boxes. That's why I think Barton will be taken over Mims if he's there. Barton checks all three boxes. Unfortunately, Barton is highly probably gone by 25. 

My bet is still on GB taking Kingsley Suamataia before Guyton or Mims. Just seems like the guy Gute hones in on, sized right in our threshold, freak athlete (was a bit dissapointed in his Combine based on the stuff the BYU strength staff says he can do), played RT and LT, just about to turn 21. 

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

My bet is still on GB taking Kingsley Suamataia before Guyton or Mims. Just seems like the guy Gute hones in on, sized right in our threshold, freak athlete (was a bit dissapointed in his Combine based on the stuff the BYU strength staff says he can do), played RT and LT, just about to turn 21. 

Yes, Gute likes those young players. How old are Barton and Mims?

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Are you pulling the trigger at 25 or trying to move back a few spots for him?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Barton and Mims have Gute's fingerprints all over them. Um, er, I mean Barton and Mims are Gute's kind of players. Mims is super athletic, but a little raw like Gary, LVN, and some others I'm forgetting right now, but with a sky's the limit ceiling. But Mims is also going to have to have some smarts and a great work ethic for Gute to draft him in round 1. We don't know enough about Mims to know if he checks those boxes. That's why I think Barton will be taken over Mims if he's there. Barton checks all three boxes. Unfortunately, Barton is highly probably gone by 25. 

That's why they bring in guys for things like Top 30 visits, medical checkups, Combine interviews and talk directly with his coaches, etc.    We don't know enough about Mims to know if he checks those boxes, but I bet Gute has a better idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Bo Melton is a wonderful Just A Guy.  Everyone has one.  The difference between them producing and not producing is, scheme, like you said, and opportunity.  He got his opportunity via injury and took advantage of it.  

I'll go this far...he's far from a lock to make it out of camp this year.  We have that DuBose kid on the PS who looked strong in his only pre-season game and he may have a lot more upside.  

But, we love rooting for the underdog, and I do like Melton.

Regarding the cap?  It's going up, still.  Saying we don't or won't have cap is silly right now.  We don't know who will be healthy, who will be injured and who will actually produce at levels that warrant re-signing.  

And we do very much overvalue our own on this board.  Who is trading much for the opportunity to actually pay Watson, while he's shown an inability to even stay healthy when he's trying to take a knee???  I like Doubs, but if I were another team, I'd say he's a guy that I can draft in the mid rounds most every year.  Melton?  Zero trade value.  Wicks?  Too early to tell if he is the real deal, or the result of the offense and having CB3 or CB4 on him.  Reed?  One year wonder so far, but he has great upside.  As an entire unit, it has tons of potential and promise.  But nothing of real substance just yet.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/27/packers-sign-rookie-wr-bo-melton-off-seahawks-practice-squad/

Melton is not a JAG.  Has elite athleticism.  4.34 40.  You could maybe say that about Heath.  Melton will be on the 53.  Nah he made a lot of plays last year.  Has the speed to threaten deep.  He's our Watson insurance and he's already on the roster.  Think you say this because of his draft status.  My eyes tell me something different.  Dude is a dude. 

• Like 1

Just now, sgtcheezwiz said:

Are you pulling the trigger at 25 or trying to move back a few spots for him?

He's 38th on my big board, but I'm not Gute. If you like the player, take the player, if Gute has him rated somewhere in the mid 20's, and he's their BPA, take him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You think we could trade down into the top of round 2 and likely still get him? Pick up a late 3rd potentially. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We recently took Gary and LVN, no one can use college production or snaps as a reason GB won't draft someone. We draft traits in round 1. 

yep we draft groomers in round one, we see that they have possible very high ceilings, Mims may be our numero ono, most coveted prospect, no way I can say this stuff with a straight face lol, but it is what we do.

Saying that Mims is a monster of a man, most consider him a RT, but can probably be a LT as well, some say he'll anchor whichever for a decade, same with Guyton, not all come up as polished at Alt, doesn't mean they can't become comparable to him.

I think slots 25 or 41 will be a OL pick, just to many good ones to pass, time to rebuild and beef up our OL, and this draft is the one to do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You think we could trade down into the top of round 2 and likely still get him? Pick up a late 3rd potentially. 

Absolutely no idea, you trade down when you have a cluster of similarly graded players, not because the consensus big board says a guy is the 35th best player and you think you can get him later.