2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

They just took a guy exactly like that in the first round last season. 

No. Van Ness wasn't hurt and informed people know it had more to do with Ferentz. Mims is 350 lbs with ankle issues already.

So...no, they didn't. 

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My bet is still on GB taking Kingsley Suamataia before Guyton or Mims. Just seems like the guy Gute hones in on, sized right in our threshold, freak athlete (was a bit dissapointed in his Combine based on the stuff the BYU strength staff says he can do), played RT and LT, just about to turn 21. 

I'd actually like that better. My dream scenario would be trading up to 15-18 if Fashanu fell that far, but as far as at 25 I like Suamataia more than some of the more popular names.

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

They just took a guy exactly like that in the first round last season. 

20% fewer snaps.  If mean, if you want to say starts and snaps don't matter, have at it.  Not disagreeing at all.

But he hasn't actually played a lot of football.  Van Ness was young, like him, but we know why he didn't start at Iowa (underclassman) but he did get a lot of reps, especially in his last year.

They are not apples to oranges, but they are not the same either.

Not disagreeing that Mims doesn't have a lot of upside.  I think he does.  But he only played Right Tackle and he didn't play a lot in college.  He'd be off my board for round one.

But, given our history, he is on our board.  No clue how high, but yeah, he's there.

20 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/27/packers-sign-rookie-wr-bo-melton-off-seahawks-practice-squad/

Melton is not a JAG.  Has elite athleticism.  4.34 40.  You could maybe say that about Heath.  Melton will be on the 53.  Nah he made a lot of plays last year.  Has the speed to threaten deep.  He's our Watson insurance and he's already on the roster.  Think you say this because of his draft status.  My eyes tell me something different.  Dude is a dude. 

If he was such a great athlete and player, then why was he on a practice squad?

Why didn't he produce in GB until all the injuries hit?

He's a JAG.  But he's also a good JAG.  Again, we actually drafted a kid and stashed him on IR who looked better than Melton did in pre-season.  And there are only so many jobs open.  He's far from a lock.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's a JAG.  But he's also a good JAG.  Again, we actually drafted a kid and stashed him on IR who looked better than Melton did in pre-season.  And there are only so many jobs open.  He's far from a lock.

He just needed an opportunity.  When he got it he produced.  He's #5 on our squad.  But our WR room is loaded.  He could be a full time starter for a number of teams.  Guess we'll have to disagree but I love this kid.  Definitely a lot more than a JAG.  There is a reason we poached him.  Have a real hard time believing he won't be on the 53.  

Edited by Scoremore

26 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

No. Van Ness wasn't hurt and informed people know it had more to do with Ferentz. Mims is 350 lbs with ankle issues already.

So...no, they didn't. 

Mims sprained an ankle, ankle issues...lol 

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He just needed an opportunity.  When he got it he produced.  He's #5 on our squad.  But our WR room is loaded.  He could be a full time starter for a number of teams.  Guess we'll have to disagree but I love this kid.  Definitely a lot more than a JAG.  There is a reason we poached him.  Have a real hard time believing he won't be on the 53.  

Yeah, we disagree greatly.  I love him, too.  He was great for us when injuries hit.  

And he's going to have to fight to remain WR5.

Maybe he ends up like Lazard, who also needed an opportunity and then made the most of it.

Maybe he's like Driver, who needed opportunity.

Or maybe he's like the countless hundreds of WR's who have a good game and then fade away.  

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Mims sprained an ankle, ankle issues...lol 

I'm legit curious.  I can't find much data on Mims concerning games started, games played....etc.

Since he only started 8 games at Georgia, why didn't he get more starts?  Do you know who was in front of him (I do not)?

Did he have other injuries that kept him out of games?

And this sprained ankle, how long did it keep him out?

I don't want to bag on him, I just don't know much at all about why he didn't play.  Some guys are all over him in their pre-draft stuff, others won't touch him in the first round at all.  Seems like polarizing prospect.

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Ryan Grant, Donald Driver, etc etc

Some times players just need a chance. Bo has elite speed and seemed to always be open and making tough catches. 

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm legit curious.  I can't find much data on Mims concerning games started, games played....etc.

Since he only started 8 games at Georgia, why didn't he get more starts?  Do you know who was in front of him (I do not)?

I don't want to bag on him, I just don't know much at all about why he didn't play.  Some guys are all over him in their pre-draft stuff, others won't touch him in the first round at all.  Seems like polarizing prospect.

Broderick Jones (1st) and Warren McClendon (5th) were two OTs drafted last season. Both started in front of Mims. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

He was behind Broderick Jones last year, still played 383 snaps as OT3, this year he had the high ankle sprain, elected the tight rope surgery to come back faster. 

Mims was the #2 rated OT in his class and the #5 overall prospect. I think it's reasonable to assume he probably would have played more had he gone to just about any other school than Georgia. Instead he went to one of the most loaded programs in college football history. 

PFF had Mims ranked in the 50's, but, many guys in front of him have very few snaps and I can't find how to fine tune the snap counts.  Mims snaps are low, under 300, but many guys scored have fewer than 100.

From what I'm looking at regarding the PFF scores, Patrick Paul seems like great value outside of the first round, based on how he scored.  Throw in a 9.69 RAS and it wouldn't shock me if we rank him higher than Mims, Guyton and Barton.

And for all the stuff talked about concerning Morgan on here....his scores were excellent, too.  Better than Guyton and Mims.  Guytons scores look pretty terrible, compared to the others I listed.