2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Just a fun fact....without looking it up, can anyone tell me who the last first round pick of the Rams was?

Answer:  Jared Goff.  Rams haven't had a first round pick since 2016.   My peanut sized brain can't really comprehend that.

14 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Small sample size but a PFF score of 88.1 and 4.3 speed. Bo definitely has a place in this league

"a place in the league," is a lot different than, "could start for a lot of teams!" 

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just a fun fact....without looking it up, can anyone tell me who the last first round pick of the Rams was?

Answer:  Jared Goff.  Rams haven't had a first round pick since 2016.   My peanut sized brain can't really comprehend that.

Roman Gabriel? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Not sure what the greatest coach in the history of CFB can add…

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952j1808m9oenasct6jp09

Not doubting his abilities as a coach. Questioning his willingness to tell the truth about certain prospects. It's all going to be rainbows and unicorns with Saban, who I happen to like as a person.

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

"a place in the league," is a lot different than, "could start for a lot of teams!" 

Could start for a lot of teams is definitely a bold statement currently. By this time next year though it might not be so bold 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not doubting his abilities as a coach. Questioning his willingness to tell the truth about certain prospects. It's all going to be rainbows and unicorns with Saban, who I happen to like as a person.

As he gets further away from players that he actually knows and recruited, I am sure he will have some more meaningful critiques.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You two are turning me around on him.

His PFF scores look like Packer scores.  Very good pass block, meh run block.

And...his scores, while not excellent, are light years better than Guyton's scores on PFF.

Not sure if this was mentioned already but 2 of Mims' starts came in the Playoff Semifinals and Championship for the 2022 season - the year Georgia won.   So limited starts but very, very meaningful starting environments and experience in THE biggest games

1 hour ago, R T said:

Was listening to Gutes talk about this group of Safeties in this draft, I believe it was before the Combine, and he said he thought it was a good, deep group. ... the more a I dig the more I like it. 

The 3 I like ...are Bishop/Utah, Bullard/Georgia and Taylor-Demerson/Texas Tech. All 3 likely go in the 2nd/3rd round range and would be great fits for the Packers. 

But yeah, that there aren't first-rounders isn't relevant.  There is a volume of safeties who could be good-value in rounds 2, 3, and 4 where we have our picks.  Don't know who Gute will like best, and which will come to Green Bay.   But I'm glad that pool looks.  

Reminds me a little of last year with TE.  Gute said it was a good and deep class; but nobody was coming off in the top-25, they didn't start clicking off until a little bit later.  

10 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Could start for a lot of teams is definitely a bold statement currently. By this time next year though it might not be so bold 

?

I like the kid, Melton.  No issue with him.

But aren't we getting like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of ourselves here?  The guy played in 5 games, starting in 1.  24 targets, 16 catches 218 yards 1 TD.

And there is talk about him starting on some teams?  Can we wait until he hits playing in 12 games while getting to 500 yards in a season before we anoint him as a "starter"?

Jeff Janis had a great one game, too.  

1 minute ago, craig said:

But yeah, that there aren't first-rounders isn't relevant.  There is a volume of safeties who could be good-value in rounds 2, 3, and 4 where we have our picks.  Don't know who Gute will like best, and which will come to Green Bay.   But I'm glad that pool looks.  

Reminds me a little of last year with TE.  Gute said it was a good and deep class; but nobody was coming off in the top-25, they didn't start clicking off until a little bit later.  

While looking through, I was more impressed by the bad RB class than the bad S class.  But there are players to be had.  I do wish we had a little more info on the defense to really predict the players that Hafley would want.  

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Saban will drop gems about actual technique and ability which is why he was hired. I’m sure there will be other analysts willing to tear players apart and besmirch them. Save that **** for Skip Bayless, Colin Cowturd and Nick Wrong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

OK, but once again that is moving the bar. What he might turn into is irrelevant to what I replied to. 

BTW, I hope he turns into that dude for the Packers. Problem is he's at best 5th on the WR depth chart in Green Bay. He, Heath and Dubois will be fighting it out for roster spots and then who will be active and who won't if we have a healthy room. That is assuming no draft picks are added to the mix. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

OK, but once again that is moving the bar. What he might turn into is irrelevant to what I replied to. 

BTW, I hope he turns into that dude for the Packers. Problem is he's at best 5th on the WR depth chart in Green Bay. He, Heath and Dubois will be fighting it out for roster spots and then who will be active and who won't if we have a healthy room. That is assuming no draft picks are added to the mix. 

You know I'm with you concerning Melton.  

Just wanted to say this....you gotta loves that kid's passion when he got opportunity last year.  It meant something to him.  It was great to see and he's a very, very easy kid to root for.  I hope he makes it and makes it big.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

About that...  I am not criticizing you.  Or the pattern.  But is there any data that we pass on these larger tackles?  Like, there is plenty of evidence to point to the Packers not taking CBs under 190 or WRs under 6'1.  Was there a 6'8 tackle available, that went in the same general draft range as Spriggs or Stepaniak?  The issue I have with this specific parameter is that we have been very good for a very long time with our tackles.  If we aren't looking for a tackle, we are passing on a 5'4 tackle just the same as we are passing on a 6'10 tackle.  Since 1992, our top 100 pick tackles have been:  Earl Dotson, John Michaels, Ross Verba, Chad Clifton, Daryn Colledge, Bryan Bulaga, Derrick Sherrod, and Jason Spriggs.  

It is a very small sample size, and we got about 40 seasons of starts out of Clifton, Taushcer, Bulaga, and Bakhtiari.  I am just not sure that there is much of a list of players that fit in the Venn Diagram of:  Packers need a tackle, Tackle is taller than 6'7, Tackle weighs more than 340, and Player is selected in reasonable range of Packers' draft pick.

I just don't see it.

All that said, I also don't think that the team is necessarily going for giant OL just because Jones, Telfort, and Tenuta are ogres.

There isn't anywhere near enough data to prove anything. Its a feeling as much as anything, admittedly that is likely to be coloured by my own dislike of guys that I believe are too tall or too heavy. In this draft I'd be wary of Alt, Latham, Mims, Guyton, Paul, who are all either 6'8" or more, or 340 lbs or more, or both. All these guys are probably 1st or 2nd round picks (Paul might just fall into round 3). For the same reason I wouldn't be interested in DT Sweat in round 2.

It would take a long time for a sample size to be big enough to be pretty confident of trusting the data, so we are down to gut instinct or feeling, as much as anything........and the fact that we have taken very tall guys late in the draft in the past, muddies the picture even more.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive