2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

21 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I heard that. I don’t buy it. I suspect Mark E’s (old *** Eagles beat guy who was on pack a day) scout sources are either fairly outdated or they’re just the bar bum types that McGinn keeps in the Rolodex. No way does anyone have Edgerrin as a top 5 player.

Harold Perkins is going to be an interesting test case next year to see if the NFL still values off ball linebackers enough to take them high. He was so fun to watch as a freshman but the conversion off ball has been rocky. 

5 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

These two comments essentially cancel each other out.

"Ol Gunslinger" began to lose shootouts later in his career with GB because he had to carry the team due to shoddy defenses. Anyone remember that Packers-Colts match-up(wanna say 2002 or 2004)? The key play in the game was Jason David forcing a fumble after a reception and the Colts falling on it. Nevermind that we were the NFC version of the Chiefs: 13-3 year based on a strong RB play only to lose in the first round because the defense was crap.

Same thing goes for Rodgers from 2011 on essentially with the exception of 2014 where the defense actually played better than average until Brandon Bostick...well...

5 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

One of them is sarcasm. Read them again. Good luck

Edited by Dubz41

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Love listening to Greg Cosell. He has a different take on Trotter compared to Simms. 

Hadn't seen this before, but if coincides very nicely with my recent comments that I want to take both Trotter and Eicheberg for maximum flexibility. You could do a Colson/Trotter combo, as well. I feel the ILB room could be totally transformed with either pair.

• Like 1

Jaden Hicks is an interesting prospect that I never looked into until Simms mentioned him. Then I noticed when I did run some draft simulators he was sometimes the first Safety picked after DeJean.  Always thought the 2nd group of Safeties was Nubin, Bullard and Bishop. 

Anyone got anything on him?

I've seen some really good things on him .. he's been put in the same realm as the other safeties you mentioned.  Maybe a real "sleeper" for the Packers pick with the later 2nd round pick or one of the 3'rds.  Maybe use a lower round pick to move up and snag him in those rounds. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Jaden Hicks is an interesting prospect that I never looked into until Simms mentioned him. Then I noticed when I did run some draft simulators he was sometimes the first Safety picked after DeJean.  Always thought the 2nd group of Safeties was Nubin, Bullard and Bishop. 

Anyone got anything on him?

FWIW - Brugler at The Athletic has Hicks at #39 overall.  A blurb from his summary...

Hicks has the speed to play high and the toughness to play low, filling the alley with urgency or covering big targets in space. Although his read anticipation is a work in progress, he plays confident and free, trusting his athletic instincts to help him make plays. Overall, Hicks is a rangy, intimidating presence, both downhill and on the back end, and he offers the multi-dimensional traits to develop into an NFL starter. He projects as a scheme-friendly safety who should also contribute immediately on special teams. 

56 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Trotter ran 4.82 at 230 pounds, no thanks.

ugghhh
I am guessing that Eichenberg is about the same, as he declined to run the 40 at both the combine & his pro day but did the agility and other drills ... while weighing at 233
plodding LB's really don't have much life in the NFL anymore

12 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Could all be true.     Scout on Pack-A-Day podcast noted today his people had Edgerrin ranked in the top 5....not his position....of the entire draft.   Now even I think that's crazy, but it shows the wide variance of opinions.    

So absolutely not ruling out a fall past 41 and even GB passing on him twice - but imo if it happens it's because he interviewed really poorly (there are some rumors out there about that) and not his on-field potential.    I hope they wouldn't pass on him but I'd understand if they do - there's going to be some great talent available at #41 at CB, S, OL, DL

That part there?  Cringeworthy.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Yea i could see the third round guards being viable y1 starters. If its not one of the top 8 tackles you are rolling with walker and tom this yr. Which may be fine. 

If you love nubin or bullard 41 is probably the spot to get them. There is a good chance the packers love one of the r3/r4 safeties. 

Agree about a few dt options at 58. 

If dejean falls falls, i feel you have to take them. 

Personally?  The only safety that I can say I even "like" enough to use our second, second round pick on is Hicks.  (Besides DeJean)

After that?  Third round is where I see most of them, then 4'th.

And at that point, I don't see them as sure fire starters, they will compete with AJJ.  For a late round pick, I thought that kid played well and if he takes a step forward with this offseason, he could be a nice player back there.

So that's me being very optimistic concerning AJJ.  

• Like 1