2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Personally?  The only safety that I can say I even "like" enough to use our second, second round pick on is Hicks.  (Besides DeJean)

After that?  Third round is where I see most of them, then 4'th.

And at that point, I don't see them as sure fire starters, they will compete with AJJ.  For a late round pick, I thought that kid played well and if he takes a step forward with this offseason, he could be a nice player back there.

So that's me being very optimistic concerning AJJ.  

More people should be more optimistic about AJJ. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I’m an AJJ skeptic.  His tackling last year made Savage look like Nitschke in comparison. 

Rookie year and position change.  7th round pick.  

I thought he did really well for a 7th round pick.  At least he did enough to feel optimistic about him.  There's a reason we didn't try to get Mr. Biles back, or Ford, or Savage.  Certainly we should and will draft one (safety) but I think there is value in AJJ.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rookie year and position change.  7th round pick.  

I thought he did really well for a 7th round pick.  At least he did enough to feel optimistic about him.  There's a reason we didn't try to get Mr. Biles back, or Ford, or Savage.  Certainly we should and will draft one (safety) but I think there is value in AJJ.

Yeah, I have to assume AJJ still being a Packer while the rest of the S room was cleaned out means on some level GB sees him as someone they can possibly develop.  I expect someone else (not currently on the roster) to be starting week 1, but AJJ will be given a legit shot to compete.

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, I have to assume AJJ still being a Packer while the rest of the S room was cleaned out means on some level GB sees him as someone they can possibly develop.  I expect someone else (not currently on the roster) to be starting week 1, but AJJ will be given a legit shot to compete.

Yup.  And?  Sometimes we play 3 safeties.  And he surely could be a specials player, too.  

Again, I like the kid and thought he showed he belonged in the league next year.  Add an off-season to it and he should be positioned to compete for snaps on defense and specials.  Just up to him to make the best of them.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yup.  And?  Sometimes we play 3 safeties.  And he surely could be a specials player, too.  

Again, I like the kid and thought he showed he belonged in the league next year.  Add an off-season to it and he should be positioned to compete for snaps on defense and specials.  Just up to him to make the best of them.

we seldom cut rookies after one year, that he didn't get more play time over Biles or others is still relevant, I still think Gute will double dip at the position, early and another later.

also the change with ST's means we may bring in more lbers

• Like 1

Chad Reuter on NFL.com did a seven rounder.

Had the Packers dropping down from #25 and picking up SF's 3rd. I love the move, not a fan of the pick.

#31 - Roger Rosengarten - OT 
#41 - Trevin Wallace - LB 
#58 - Javon Bullard - S
#88 - Brandon Dorlus - DT
#91 - Nehemiah Pritchett - CB
#94 - Christian Hayes - OG
#126 - Myles Cole - Edge
#169 - Ray Davis - RB
#202 - Jha'Quan Jackson - WR
#219 - Tory Taylor - P
#245 - Drake Nugent - S
#255 - Kedon Slovis - QB

I really, really hate this draft. Just extremely bad. 

38 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Chad Reuter on NFL.com did a seven rounder.

Had the Packers dropping down from #25 and picking up SF's 3rd. I love the move, not a fan of the pick.

#31 - Roger Rosengarten - OT 
#41 - Trevin Wallace - LB 
#58 - Javon Bullard - S
#88 - Brandon Dorlus - DT
#91 - Nehemiah Pritchett - CB
#94 - Christian Hayes - OG
#126 - Myles Cole - Edge
#169 - Ray Davis - RB
#202 - Jha'Quan Jackson - WR
#219 - Tory Taylor - P
#245 - Drake Nugent - S
#255 - Kedon Slovis - QB

I really, really hate this draft. Just extremely bad. 

I like the Bullard, Haynes, and Davis picks. Everything else can go in the trash.

Something I did years ago (but got taken over by another poster more recently) was the post-draft mock. I'd never seen it done before I did it (though it may have been).

Basically, your 'big board' is the actual draft. You may take any player still on the board when you pick. You may not make any trade the Packers did not make...........BUT...........you can refuse one they did make, and stay with the original picks.

You have a big advantage in knowing where all the players went, but you have a tiny fraction of the resources the Packers themselves can bring to bear on any prospect - and they also have multiple very talented evaluators to sort through the prospects. Make your choices, file them away and see if in a couple of years you did better, the same, or worse than the Packers choices. Obviously, the post draft mock should be made as soon as possible after the draft, so you have no extra information on players.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

These two comments essentially cancel each other out.

"Ol Gunslinger" began to lose shootouts later in his career with GB because he had to carry the team due to shoddy defenses. Anyone remember that Packers-Colts match-up(wanna say 2002 or 2004)? The key play in the game was Jason David forcing a fumble after a reception and the Colts falling on it. Nevermind that we were the NFC version of the Chiefs: 13-3 year based on a strong RB play only to lose in the first round because the defense was crap.

Same thing goes for Rodgers from 2011 on essentially with the exception of 2014 where the defense actually played better than average until Brandon Bostick...well...

No

Ol Gunslinger was losing football games because he kept turning the ball over like a retard. 

Rodgers defenses playing poorly doesn't mean Rodgers was playing well in those losses. 

• Like 1

Justis Mosqueda -   We asked you who you think the Packers will take out of their realistic options at #25.

The first two results:
1. Cooper DeJean
2. Graham Barton

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Personally?  The only safety that I can say I even "like" enough to use our second, second round pick on is Hicks.  (Besides DeJean)

After that?  Third round is where I see most of them, then 4'th.

And at that point, I don't see them as sure fire starters, they will compete with AJJ.  For a late round pick, I thought that kid played well and if he takes a step forward with this offseason, he could be a nice player back there.

So that's me being very optimistic concerning AJJ.  

Quay tweeted that he was lookin for a fishing buddy this weekend

9 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Quay tweeted that he was lookin for a fishing buddy this weekend

My boat is in the shop.  Or else I'd be down.  Walleyes are okay right now, but should fire up in about two weeks, which is perfect.