2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean if it was a strong draft, you do the same thing we did in 2020 and grab RB3, who becomes RB2 next year, but it's just not sound strategy unless a Brooks/Benson fall to rd 3 or Wright falls to our 4th. 

Just get Blake Watson in 5-6 and prosper.

• Like 2

If Jones/Dillon was a good enough RB combo for last year, why would we assume that Jacobs/Dillon isn't perceived as a good enough combo this year?

Unless the team's perception of Dillon has changed significantly in the last year such that they no longer perceive him as a legitimate #2, what motivates the desire for a change? And if the perception of Dillon is that he's not a legitimate #2, why would he have been resigned? 

Unless there's a guy who's perceived as an incredible value (2+ round advantage) what's the play?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Jones/Dillon was a good enough RB combo for last year, why would we assume that Jacobs/Dillon isn't perceived as a good enough combo this year?

Unless the team's perception of Dillon has changed significantly in the last year such that they no longer perceive him as a legitimate #2, what motivates the desire for a change? And if the perception of Dillon is that he's not a legitimate #2, why would he have been resigned? 

Unless there's a guy who's perceived as an incredible value (2+ round advantage) what's the play?

There was a quote from MLF about using Dillon in different roles this year. 

Speculation perhaps the Deguara role.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you listened to MLF's presser before the combine he said with a 17-game season and playoffs you need three RBs, that is why I think we will see a mid-round pick for that room. Kind of expecting them to carry 4 RBs on the 53 for the 2024 season as long as they can bring something to ST'S that is. Doesn't change what they think of the Jacobs/Dillon combo, just that they want another horse in the stable to lighten the load is all.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

That's really not that impressive of a group either tbqh. There's nothing special about Ollie Gordon. What separates Ollie Gordon from someone like Braelon Allen? Honest question. I'm also not sure what separates Hampton and Judkins from the likes of Estime and Benson. Henderson is a horse and probably the most talented back of both classes but he can't stay on the field. Edwards and Ott are of high intrigue but we need to see more (Edwards needs a massive rebound as RB1). Jeanty is a nothing burger tbh like 95% of Boise State RBs. Etienne I won't speak on since I'm not sure he's "Packer people" but the rest I'm not sure about so I have no opinion.  

Basically, I'm not waiting on a what could be from a class that I'm really not sold on. Just take the value where it's at in 2024 if it's there. I'm don't have the same disdain for this class as you do.

Will Shipley 4 lyfe

I guess we just have differing opinions, Ollie Gordon reminds me more of another Badger Gordon than he does Braelon Allen. Judkins is a better CEH, Id actually comp him fairly similarly to Josh Jacobs as a college back. Hampton Id need to see the workout, not quite sure on the athlete, but really like the tape. Jeanty had almost 600 receiving yards, he's the kind of back offenses want now.

I'm a big believer of the college dominator metric, most of the dudes above were 19 last year and beating up on a much older college football landscape. I know Allen was too, but his lack of pass game versatility kills his value, Allen is probably a top 50 player in 2005. Also him not running a 40 by choice tells me he's got Estime speed when we all were hoping for low 4.5s. 

Look at all the blue blood programs that have wide open chances for RBs too, Texas and Baxter, Oregon and Jordan James, Washington and Coleman, Bama and Jam Miller, Oklahoma and Sawchuck....lost goes on.

It's going to be a hell of a class that blows this stinker away.

16 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I didn't know the 2025 RB class was shaping up to be a strong group, but since Dillon signed, I've been assuming RD5 was probably as early as GB would go for a RB.  I don't see much point in going with an earlier RB when Jacobs/Dillon are set to take the bulk of the RB snaps this season.

I think if the value is there, they'd grab one on Day 2.  But probably more of an early Day 3 to late Day 3 type of pick.

45 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Im not sure Dillon is secure in a spot on the 53 man roster.  That contract is around vwt minimum and would have less that 200k in dead cap.  It's also a 1 year deal, so looking to 2025 a RB would be needed

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Im not sure Dillon is secure in a spot on the 53 man roster.  That contract is around vwt minimum and would have less that 200k in dead cap.  It's also a 1 year deal, so looking to 2025 a RB would be needed

He's RB2, Im sure the original plan was to sift in the bargain bin of FA for RB2 behind Jones, but having to release him, pay the dead cap and then add Jacobs was not what they anticipated. No rookie coming in from this year's class is going to overtake Dillon, he does the most important thing a RB2 can do extremely well, protects the QB.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's RB2, Im sure the original plan was to sift in the bargain bin of FA for RB2 behind Jones, but having to release him, pay the dead cap and then add Jacobs was not what they anticipated. No rookie coming in from this year's class is going to overtake Dillon, he does the most important thing a RB2 can do extremely well, protects the QB.

Sure Dillon probably sticks for 24.  But he is a FA in 25 and having a replacement rookie ready to fill in as RB 2 or more would make sense.  Did we forget most teams, GB certainly included, draft not just for the upcoming season but for future seasons as well.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sure Dillon probably sticks for 24.  But he is a FA in 25 and having a replacement rookie ready to fill in as RB 2 or more would make sense.  Did we forget most teams, GB certainly included, draft not just for the upcoming season but for future seasons as well.

I think I highlighted the reason why I don't think that happens this year. They'll draft a guy in 25 for 2025.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

There was a quote from MLF about using Dillon in different roles this year. 

Speculation perhaps the Deguara role.

I think it's far more likely that the answer is that they plan to use Dillon more as a threat in the passing game. 

If he's going to be doing Deguara things he's:

1. Going to be awful at it. H Back skills and mindset aren't something that's developed in one off season. 

2. Going to be doing it more out of 2 back sets. Which isn't really the Deguara role. 

50 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Dillon is making the 53. None of the back end of the roster backs are better than he is, and we're not going to bring in 3 more backs

1 hour ago, R T said:

If you listened to MLF's presser before the combine he said with a 17-game season and playoffs you need three RBs, that is why I think we will see a mid-round pick for that room. Kind of expecting them to carry 4 RBs on the 53 for the 2024 season as long as they can bring something to ST'S that is. Doesn't change what they think of the Jacobs/Dillon combo, just that they want another horse in the stable to lighten the load is all.  

Sure, a mid to late round set of legs make sense, but it seems highly unlikely that a mid to late round guy is going to displace Dillon as the #2 this year.