2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Andy Herman is hot on both Guyton and Mims in his episode this morning.

The thing with Guyton or Mims - is either just a RT? Can either play LT?

Packers usually like to cross train these guys at guard too. Guyton and Mims are too big for all that. It’s possible, I’m just not sure. Especially when they haven’t taken a OT in Round 1 since Bulaga.

In Gute’s presser he mentioned wanting “scheme versatile” guys again. I just don’t think either Guyton or Mims fits that mold.

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wisportsfan4 said:

Packers usually like to cross train these guys at guard too. Guyton and Mims are too big for all that. It’s possible, I’m just not sure. Especially when they haven’t taken a OT in Round 1 since Bulaga.

In Gute’s presser he mentioned wanting “scheme versatile” guys again. I just don’t think either Guyton or Mims fits that mold.

Thoughts? 

Having scheme versatile players is nice, having good tackles is nicer. Bakh was a tackle, Bulaga was a tackle, Tausch and Cliffy were tackles. Though he flopped, Sherrod was a tackle.

Seems like if they take an OL early, they're fine with them being a tackle only. Day 3 guys, versatility.

3 minutes ago, wisportsfan4 said:

Thoughts? 

I've always kind of felt that Mims/Guyton were both part of smokescreen season for Gutey. We will see if I'm wrong, but I'm still not convinced we have serious interest in either guy. I'll die on the hill that if Barton is gone and the Packers still go OT at 25, it will be Suamataia (or maybe even Jordan Morgan), over Mims/Guyton. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'll die on the hill that if Barton is gone and the Packers still go OT at 25, it will be Suamataia (or maybe even Jordan Morgan), over Mims/Guyton. 

I suppose it's possible something bad came out of their top 30 visit, but I'll die on the hill that Mims or Guyton would be taken at #25 over Suamataia or Morgan.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

All I have to say is no Wiggins and no Wilson.  Don't want either of these players.  Seen them mocked to the Pack quite frequently in the 1st round.  Absolutely the worst picks I can imagine.  I'm not that high on DeJean as others.  Put him at S where he belongs guess it could work out but at outside CB forget it.  Hope someone else burns a high pick before we are on the clock.  Backing off of Newton too.  Didn't know he had a foot injury.  No testing pass.   Don't understand these guys that do mock drafts don't they have a clue?

If the Packers pick either Wilson or Wiggins at #25 I will lose it.   Now if they are available 4th round or later I'd consider it. 

I'm out on Wilson at #25 and #41 but otherwise fair game.   Age and injury history are scary though for sure.   I think you are wrong on Wiggins.    I understand the weight concerns dropping him off peoples' 1st rnd board -- but 4th round....or later?!   If the Packers draft him at #25 it's because they feel comfortable they have a plan for his playing weight to be 185-190.  He dropped weight to workout at the Combine but was 182 at his Pro Day and I think he maintains 182-185 his first year and can climb to 188-190 year 2 and beyond.   I'm sure the team can live with a sluggish 4.33 If added weight means his timed speed slows from a 4.28.  The rest of his movement skills are perfect 

53 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I'm still holding out hope for Brian Thomas Jr, but I think one of those guys you mentioned are very likely to be the pick.  I'd probably lean McKinstry but that's just a guess.

Yeah Brian Thomas is the dream right now for me, but I think he goes in the teens. I think he's gonna be a star

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I've always kind of felt that Mims/Guyton were both part of smokescreen season for Gutey. We will see if I'm wrong, but I'm still not convinced we have serious interest in either guy. I'll die on the hill that if Barton is gone and the Packers still go OT at 25, it will be Suamataia (or maybe even Jordan Morgan), over Mims/Guyton. 

Mims is a stereotypical Packers first round pick but I don't want him. My two crushes for the first round are DeJean or Barton. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I suppose it's possible something bad came out of their top 30 visit, but I'll die on the hill that Mims or Guyton would be taken at #25 over Suamataia or Morgan.

I hope DeJean or Barton are there so we don't have to find out either way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

With better movement skills in just about every way. Hyde used his intelligence to cover for his athletic deficiencies. DeJean will use his intelligence to bolster his already upper tier athletic traits.

So you mean Damarious Randall?

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So you mean Damarious Randall?

Not sure I'd put Randall and DeJean in the same football (or overall) IQ range...

Maybe if I could have combined Hyde from the head up with Randall from the neck down...now you're closer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure I'd put Randall and DeJean in the same football (or overall) IQ range...

Maybe if I could have combined Hyde from the head up with Randall from the neck down...now you're closer. 

Oh so you mean Hamarious Ryde

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Mims is a stereotypical Packers first round pick but I don't want him. My two crushes for the first round are DeJean or Barton. 

48 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

What about Mims is stereotypical Packer though? He’s far bigger than they’ve ever drafted at the position and offers no positional versatility. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

He won't be "sitting back there" in Hafley's scheme. With McKinney as the post/free, DeJean is your box/slot SAF who can defend the MOF - something we haven't been good at in 20 years. That's where he belongs and it's where he will thrive. Putting him on an island to cover Justin Jefferson just seems absolutely moronic to me. I agree, I want him "as close to the ball as possible" and that's not out on the boundary covering 1/4 of the field. 

We’re playing interchangeable safeties. Hafley has said so. Gute said so at his presser today. Forget FS/SS. It’s just S in this scheme. Gotta do both. Keep the QB off.

Just my latest "wow" moment where I see how different the rankings can be.  Jeremiah at NFL.com is someone who I generally feel knows what he is talking about, has OT Suamataia at #121 in his top 150 prospect list released earlier today.  Seems like a lot of sites have him in the 30's or 40's, and I occasionally see him going at the end of RD1 in mocks.