2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Telling you guys...the buzz is real. 

Also, I'm not sure any prospect has been more slept on this entire cycle than Junior Colson. Doesn't help that he didn't test during the pre-draft process, but speaking as a certainly biased Michigan guy, Colson can flat out play and he's a great culture guy. If we go ILB in early round 2 and it's not Cooper, I'd be perfectly content with Colson. 

I like him.  He seems like David Harris when he came out of Michigan.  A plug 'n play LBer that you're not actively looking to replace.

9 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Trading scenarios:

A deal with Carolina.
We get their 33, they get our 25 and we swap 3rds (65 for 91). On the JJ chart we lose out by 11 points.

Packers now have 33, 41, 58, 65, 88, 126
Panthers now have 25, 39, 91, 101
Essentially the Packers move down 8 spots from 25, and gain 26 spots in round 3 (65 instead of 91).

This would feel like an ideal scenario IF the Packers were to trade down.  But I think Carolina would need to be very antsy to move up for someone like Legette if those rumors are true.

57 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

[cit needed]

Hey! There is in fact an admittedly very narrow window at parties between slightly awkward weirdo and sorta obnoxious drunk where I'm extremely charming I'll have you know! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

..there's very few players where you'll pick up a 5th year option but aren't considering extending the guy.  ...  You've got guys who are pretty much locks not to be picked up, and those that are getting their options picked up likely aren't playing on that 5th year option ....  That 5th year option value is overstated.

Thanks. 

I'm not sure the actual volume of 5th-year-option-applied represents the value?  Having the option to apply the option is perhaps desirable, in that it gives more time to work out extension?  To evaluate whether an extension is worth giving, and how pricey it should be?  

• Latu’s neck condition is going to be a disqualifier for some, but not all teams. He was medically retired by the University of Washington, which forced his transfer to UCLA. You’ll remember that in 2018, Leighton Vander Esch came into the league with a neck condition. A really solid linebacker when he played, and the Cowboys’ first-round pick that year, Vander Esch missed significant time in four of his six seasons, and retired after being limited to just five games in 2023.

• Both of LSU’s star receivers, Brian Thomas Jr. and Malik Nabers, have issues with their left shoulders. The risk here is considered relatively minimal—in both cases, there’s a chance the player may have to have the shoulder surgically repaired after the 2024 season. 

• Penix is a big one because he’s had multiple ACL tears and multiple shoulder surgeries. Exacerbating the problem, in the eyes of teams, is that he’s not an overly big-framed person, meaning he might prove to be more susceptible to additional injuries in the NFL, especially with the hits he tends to take in the pocket. Conversely, he made it through his two seasons at Washington without missing time.

• Washington OT Troy Fautanu’s knee was flagged. That one was described to me as the sort of issue that shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros (though his high football character is a factor in making teams feel like he’ll do all he can to take care of it, and give himself the best chance).

• Georgia WR Ladd McConkey’s situation is similar to Penix in that he’s dealt with a mountain of injuries, and he’s not overly big (185 pounds). So the concern is how his body holds up with the hits coming from bigger, faster players in the NFL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Lofton said:

• Latu’s neck condition is going to be a disqualifier for some, but not all teams. He was medically retired by the University of Washington, which forced his transfer to UCLA. You’ll remember that in 2018, Leighton Vander Esch came into the league with a neck condition. A really solid linebacker when he played, and the Cowboys’ first-round pick that year, Vander Esch missed significant time in four of his six seasons, and retired after being limited to just five games in 2023.

• Both of LSU’s star receivers, Brian Thomas Jr. and Malik Nabers, have issues with their left shoulders. The risk here is considered relatively minimal—in both cases, there’s a chance the player may have to have the shoulder surgically repaired after the 2024 season. 

• Penix is a big one because he’s had multiple ACL tears and multiple shoulder surgeries. Exacerbating the problem, in the eyes of teams, is that he’s not an overly big-framed person, meaning he might prove to be more susceptible to additional injuries in the NFL, especially with the hits he tends to take in the pocket. Conversely, he made it through his two seasons at Washington without missing time.

• Washington OT Troy Fautanu’s knee was flagged. That one was described to me as the sort of issue that shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros (though his high football character is a factor in making teams feel like he’ll do all he can to take care of it, and give himself the best chance).

• Georgia WR Ladd McConkey’s situation is similar to Penix in that he’s dealt with a mountain of injuries, and he’s not overly big (185 pounds). So the concern is how his body holds up with the hits coming from bigger, faster players in the NFL.

So does that mean everyone is good with Payton Wilson...?!?!?! :)

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

At Center? 

Cameron Erving - traded.
Billy Price - new team after second year.
Chris Spencer - signed with Bears.
Jeff Faine - Did not complete first deal with Browns.

I don't know what kind of cherry picking and mental gymnastics the guy's doing to come up with those numbers, but they are demonstrably wrong. 

At first I misread it and saw a 100% hit rate on guards. He doesn't have the right number of guards. How he determines guard is also suspect. Brandon Scherf for example. Vernon Carey. Long list of guards he played tackle in the NFL. Some cherry picking is likely. 

Tough to hide the TE/WR though. And QB. I'm sure the LB/EDGE is all out of whack. 

• Like 1

The above table deceives me a little with the 92% on top, makes 30%'s for the red group look really low.  Better to kinda delete the centers.  Small sample, all taken relatively late in 1st round, and a position group that is not highly paid.  Extending a good center is never a cap-buster.  The much higher price range for CB-DT-EDGE means some aren't 2nd-contracted for cap reasons, not failure. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, craig said:

The above table deceives me a little with the 92% on top, makes 30%'s for the red group look really low.  Better to kinda delete the centers.  Small sample, all taken relatively late in 1st round, and a position group that is not highly paid.  Extending a good center is never a cap-buster.  The much higher price range for CB-DT-EDGE means some aren't 2nd-contracted for cap reasons, not failure. 

Yeah, it’s really faulty logic.

Second contracts are huge. First round picks are supposed to be franchise players. The flaw is in determining whether or not a player is a bust because they get that second contract from their first team or a second team.