2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

23 minutes ago, MacReady said:

At Center? 

Cameron Erving - traded.
Billy Price - new team after second year.
Chris Spencer - signed with Bears.
Jeff Faine - Did not complete first deal with Browns.

I don't know what kind of cherry picking and mental gymnastics the guy's doing to come up with those numbers, but they are demonstrably wrong. 

At first I misread it and saw a 100% hit rate on guards. He doesn't have the right number of guards. How he determines guard is also suspect. Brandon Scherf for example. Vernon Carey. Long list of guards he played tackle in the NFL. Some cherry picking is likely. 

Tough to hide the TE/WR though. And QB. I'm sure the LB/EDGE is all out of whack. 

Erving - probably considered a tackle

Price - probably the one failure

Spencer - played 6 seasons with the Seahawks

Faine - this one also should have been a failure. I wonder if the criteria was "signed in free agency after rookie contract expired or was cut." which in this case would have disqualified him due to the trade. 

6 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

#15 - Odunze
#17 - Arnold
#18 - Bowers
#19 - Murphy II
#20 - Mims
#22 - Mitchell

Despite getting Dejean at #25, if something like that happens Thursday and the Packers aren't trading up, I will lose my goddamn mind.

We don't need a WR and DeJean is a better prospect than Murphy and Mims. I'd argue DeJean is the same tier as Arnold. What are we trading up for? Once you get to 22 with DeJean and Mitchell on the board you should feel great one of them will make it to 25, seems like the opposite, like the perfect situation to sit back and let the board fall.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We don't need a WR and DeJean is a better prospect than Murphy and Mims. I'd argue DeJean is the same tier as Arnold. What are we trading up for? Once you get to 22 with DeJean and Mitchell on the board you should feel great one of them will make it to 25, seems like the opposite, like the perfect situation to sit back and let the board fall.

tbh I would be more upset if Brian Thomas Jr is there at 25 and we don't take him. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I disagree with with most of that. I think Murphy is the best defensive prospect in this class, and Mims is the kind of offensive tackle you never see available in the 20s. I think Arnold and Mitchell are a clear tier above Dejean. 

As for WR not being a need, sure. But Odunze is a special talent in this class and like Mims, guys like him aren't typically available that late in the draft. If all it takes is a late 3rd or 4th to go up and get virtually anyone in that group, the Packers should do it.

Just now, JBURGE said:

tbh I would be more upset if Brian Thomas Jr is there at 25 and we don't take him. 

I know you love MVS Jr...I mean BTJ. Ha like 70% kidding. I don't see BTJ falling to 25 unless a team falls in love with AD Mitchell. I think 4 WRs before 25 is pretty much a lock. I just don't see Gute prioritizing WR this year either, the cupboard is pretty full there while we're lacking depth on the OL and in the secondary and this draft has a plethora of options.

7 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I disagree with with most of that. I think Murphy is the best defensive prospect in this class, and Mims is the kind of offensive tackle you never see available in the 20s. I think Arnold and Mitchell are a clear tier above Dejean. 

As for WR not being a need, sure. But Odunze is a special talent in this class and like Mims, guys like him aren't typically available that late in the draft. If all it takes is a late 3rd or 4th to go up and get virtually anyone in that group, the Packers should do it.

I'm betting against Murphy being a plus run defender in the NFL, he needs to 1-gap, and there's quite the difference between holding a gap against TCU's IOL and an NFL team. I think he could be a plus sub-package player, but GB has that style with Wyatt and Brooks already, we could use more of a Ruke/Maason Smith style DL, base end/3T rusher with length.

Odunze isn't making it to 15, so I don't really care to hypothesize about that, waste of time.

Won't fight you on Mitchell being a tier above, to me Arnold is in the same tier as DeJean, cleaner coverage prospect, didn't see the instincts to take the ball away at this level like you see with Cooper. Based on Hafley's continual stance on tackling and turnovers, I think GB will have DeJean higher TBH.

Mims is a dealers choice, I think some times will cover him and some won't want to touch him in round 1, gun to my head? I think GB will be in the "don't want to touch him" category. Betting on the Guyton/Mims interest to be the subterfuge Gute was talking about.

• Like 1

A lot of organizations believe in giving your new coordinator the first pick as a boost to help him start crafting his own unit. 

The more I look at this thing, the more I grow convinced that it's either Secondary or OT with that first pick. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A lot of organizations believe in giving your new coordinator the first pick as a boost to help him start crafting his own unit. 

The more I look at this thing, the more I grow convinced that it's either Secondary or OT with that first pick. 

You would think. Gute taking a WR now confirmed.

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
43 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I know you love MVS Jr...I mean BTJ. Ha like 70% kidding. I don't see BTJ falling to 25 unless a team falls in love with AD Mitchell. I think 4 WRs before 25 is pretty much a lock. I just don't see Gute prioritizing WR this year either, the cupboard is pretty full there while we're lacking depth on the OL and in the secondary and this draft has a plethora of options.

I don't see a scenario where he lasts that long, but he is one of my guys this year. Usuallly I have guys in round 2-3, like Ladd this year.

I think BTJ is going to be a star in the right spot. Gute's presser seemed to say we have enough capable bodies in the WR and it's alrady competitive enough, but I am still for taking BPA considering the position has 3 starters. Would make moving on from Watson and/or Doubs easy, and I just think he would be our clear WR1 by his 2nd year and potential to be a top 10 WR in the NFL. 

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I like him.  He seems like David Harris when he came out of Michigan.  A plug 'n play LBer that you're not actively looking to replace.

Lol - that's a strong endorsement.   It's what someone says about their Toyota Corolla.    The best I can say about him is "we aren't actively looking to replace him."   

I think people should start describing their wives this way at a party and see the reaction.    I like her, I mean she's not someone I'm actively looking to replace"

For the record - I do understand what you are saying here - it just stood out as a funny endorsement.   Just having fun with the comment

14 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I don't see a scenario where he lasts that long, but he is one of my guys this year. Usuallly I have guys in round 2-3, like Ladd this year.

I think BTJ is going to be a star in the right spot. Gute's presser seemed to say we have enough capable bodies in the WR and it's alrady competitive enough, but I am still for taking BPA considering the position has 3 starters. Would make moving on from Watson and/or Doubs easy, and I just think he would be our clear WR1 by his 2nd year and potential to be a top 10 WR in the NFL. 

My college teams are Wisconsin and LSU, we never draft players from either. In fact LSU WRs usually go to the lamest teams, I fully expect the Vikings to take him at 23 so I have to hate him like Jefferson. The Bears will get Nabers at 9.

• Like 1