2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Every year, I brace for the Steelers or Eagles to take the players I want GB to draft. 

Hopefully they have other needs, but I could see them taking DeJean and Barton with their picks and the remaining options feeling like reaches at 25.

4 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Or you just keep drafting guys and getting compensatory picks all the time and keep doing that and use first round picks on other positions and always pay your WRs the cost of one okay one.

I basically said as much a week ago.

Leaves quite a bit of pressure on the organization to hit on second and third day picks. With this year being as insanely good as it is at WR, having a legit first round talent at the position locked up for five years is appealing. 

28 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

The Lions just gave one of those "2nd or 3rd that can develop into a very good WR" guys a record breaking deal. 

I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to grab a WR at #25 and have a guy on a five year deal.

If they are very good and they develop, you’ve got to pay to play. The fifth year option is nice but if your QB and line are top notch, you can afford to let guys walk as long as you have a plan of succession with some young talent in the wings. If BPA at 25 is a WR, so be it but the best of the best will be gone by then and everyone else will be in the next tier. Alternatively, there will probably be some top tier OL and interior defenders at 25. Every year is different, but we have proven you don’t need to reach on WR talent, in particular with this system that MLF runs. 

25 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Leaves quite a bit of pressure on the organization to hit on second and third day picks. With this year being as insanely good as it is at WR, having a legit first round talent at the position locked up for five years is appealing. 

IMO your thinking on a deep positional class is backwards. You say the class is deep and thus we should take one in the first round. IMO , that means you can prioritize something else early and get much better value at a later point in the draft. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

IMO your thinking on a deep positional class is backwards. You say the class is deep and thus we should take one in the first round. IMO , that means you can prioritize something else early and get much better value at a later point in the draft. 

I think it can be both, to be honest. You can look at this WR class and correctly think that there's going to be serious value in rounds two and three. But I also think you can make the case that with this loaded class the value is there in getting that 5th year locked in with a guy you're confident will be an impact player at an incredibly expensive position.

35 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

The logic doesn’t hold up. The franchise has been doing it this way for the past three decades. They’ve never wanted for a franchise WR.

Who cares if they’re a first round talent at the draft when getting first round production has actual tangible value?

Also, history doesn’t suggest first round receivers are better. This has been true for the past 10 years. The current era.

2/3 top rookie receivers last year weren’t drafted in the first round. 5 non first round receivers had over 700 yards receiving. 2 first round receivers hit that mark.

8 minutes ago, MacReady said:

The logic doesn’t hold up. The franchise has been doing it this way for the past three decades. They’ve never wanted for a franchise WR.

Who cares if they’re a first round talent at the draft when getting first round production has actual tangible value?

Also, history doesn’t suggest first round receivers are better. This has been true for the past 10 years. The current era.

2/3 top rookie receivers last year weren’t drafted in the first round. 5 non first round receivers had over 700 yards receiving. 2 first round receivers hit that mark.

Well history absolutely suggests the best WRs come from the first round. That's evidenced by the fact that there are ten first round WRs in the Hall of Fame, and 12 from all other rounds combined. 

But if you go by recent history, use whatever criteria you like. But I'll take DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Garrett Wilson, and Chris Olave. You can have the field. 

4 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Well history absolutely suggests the best WRs come from the first round. That's evidenced by the fact that there are ten first round WRs in the Hall of Fame, and 12 from all other rounds combined. 

But if you go by recent history, use whatever criteria you like. But I'll take DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Garrett Wilson, and Chris Olave. You can have the field. 

How are those teams doing with Super Bowl wins?

Because I count one ring out of all those receivers you just listed.

And a stellar receiving corps of MVS and Rashee Rice on the last Super Bowl winner. Swap Rice with JJSS on the winner before that.

Bad teams pick receivers in the first round to sell tickets.

Also, history might suggest the best receivers come from the first round, but the best value receivers absolutely do not.

Show me any draft since 2010 where the best value WR in the entire draft was in the first round.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Top 10 WRs (Receptions) 2023

1st Round Picks:

1. Cee Dee Lamb

Not 1st Round Picks:

2. Tyreek Hill

3. Amon-Ra St. Brown

4. Michael Pittman Jr.

5. Keenan Allen

6. Stefon Diggs

7. AJ Brown

8. Puka Nacua

9. Davante Adams