The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

It isn’t about how old they are when they play their last season in the NFL. The concern is whether they had their best year in college against guys who were less physically, mature and less experienced. There is also concern about whether or not they have reached their peak physically. A 21 year old undoubtedly has more room to grow than a 24-year-old. A 23 or 24-year-old who has spent six years in college programs should play better than 19, 20, and 21-year-olds. Burrow seems to be the exception. Not the rule. 

Like playing pancakes where your team is in no danger of losing? Michigan was men among boys in nearly all their games. 

17 hours ago, Morlee said:

How is he not in the conversation? Because mock drafts tell you so? 

I still don’t even see how Maye, Daniels, or McCarthy are getting more buzz than him. They’re not better. 

His injury history is a risk, and his older age I don’t really like, but what he shows in the football field is better than what they’ve shown. Easily at that. 

There’s no way anyone could convince me that either of the guys I mentioned above are a better thrower of the football than Penix. He has some things to refine but that’s what O’ Connell is for. Also, so does every QB prospect. 

Numbers don’t lie. Just look at them. And don’t make the excuses he threw the ball more. Competition % tells everything. 

And if you’re gonna start comparing teams, how many players are going pro for NC? Maye didn’t have near the talent around him.

Same goes for Nix. He didn’t call the plays. The OC calls the plays. Not his fault they didn’t throw down the field.

What people should be looking at with Maye is what he did at his pro day. They said he probably missed 5-7 throws. That’s average. ( Cable Williams did the same) But, Maye refused to except that and ran the play again and made The throw. They said he threw like 70 plus passes.( maybe even 80 plus because of the redo's) No other QB even come close to the amount of throws he did. The kid wanted to prove a point and he did. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, babababa said:

Joe Burrow was 23 when he was drafted. The age thing isn't a factor when you consider QBs play up to 40 if they are special. If anything a guy who is 23 is more mature than someone barely old enough to buy a beer. If I'm Jefferson I'd rather play with a guy closer to my age.

That is a terrible comparison!!  Penix isn’t even in the same class as Burrow? Again, the numbers don’t lie. I could care less about age. But, let’s not get carried swayed..

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Once more deceptive information, McCarthy attempted 93 less passes than Maye "under pressure" and played 15 total games last year Drake Maye played 12, so take out those three playoff games and the attempt difference is even larger.

Not to mention 10 of those 12 regular season games were 40-10 final average so how much pressure was he actually under, sure on paper it was pressure but the game itself was at hand and under control completely in a lot of those "under pressure" throws.  

Who cares about the attempts!!!!!!! It’s not his fault. Again, the OC calls the plays. Every QB plays in a different system. Please, figure this out… 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

That is a terrible comparison!!  Penix isn’t even in the same class as Burrow? Again, the numbers don’t lie. I could care less about age. But, let’s not get carried swayed..

I didn't say he was Burrow. The age is the comp. Is Burrow's age a problem right now?

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

It isn’t about how old they are when they play their last season in the NFL. The concern is whether they had their best year in college against guys who were less physically, mature and less experienced. There is also concern about whether or not they have reached their peak physically. A 21 year old undoubtedly has more room to grow than a 24-year-old. A 23 or 24-year-old who has spent six years in college programs should play better than 19, 20, and 21-year-olds. Burrow seems to be the exception. Not the rule. 

Well he's as physically gifted as most NFL QBs right now. His arm strength is elite. He has great touch and accuracy even on deep throws. The room to grow thing is in developing his ability to read NFL defenses and you can be anywhere from 19-70 and have the ability to improve in that area.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Who cares about the attempts!!!!!!! It’s not his fault. Again, the OC calls the plays. Every QB plays in a different system. Please, figure this out… 

You can't quote stats that show how good he is if the sample size is tiny.... That's the point. 

• Like 1

Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson:

“Interestingly, quite a few evaluators are pointing at J.J. McCarthy’s former coach at Michigan, Jim Harbaugh, who is now with the Los Angeles Chargers and sitting with the fifth overall pick. Nearly every evaluator I spoke to about McCarthy brought up the considerable praise that Harbaugh has been lavishing on his former player, which included calling him the best quarterback in this draft. To say that statement has elicited some eye-rolls would be a vast underestimation of how it was received in many personnel departments.

One longtime evaluator chuckled when I asked about McCarthy’s projection at No. 2 overall and shot back: ‘Harbaugh didn’t say he was the No. 2 quarterback. He said he was the No. 1 quarterback.’ Another longtime evaluator noted, ‘Jim [Harbaugh] needs everything but a quarterback. So every quarterback that gets taken before [the fifth pick] is a win for him.'”

“There definitely could be a little bit of an ulterior motive to get someone pushed to him, for sure. That would be a Harbaugh type move,” one evaluator said. “There’s a plan there, I would say. Because they’re sitting there like, all right, if top four are QBs, we get our pick of whatever the hell we want. They’re probably in the best position of any team up there, because now the first four probably are going to be quarterbacks.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2024/03/jim-harbaugh-jj-mccarthy-nfl-draft-stock-chargers-help?csp=trueanthem&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1NwCZuqFsbFMEAAfgl9u9xU6x5SRvG9U7GYQErGjSzXItpNDLOX9LlE0c

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 6:22 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Kyler Murray is a younger, shorter, less annoying version of Russell Wilson. No thanks.

And never has been as good. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, babababa said:

I didn't say he was Burrow. The age is the comp. Is Burrow's age a problem right now?

His injury history is certainly becoming one. 

On 3/29/2024 at 5:10 PM, PrplChilPill said:

No NFL teams throws zero passes in a half. 

Well, NE threw 3 passes in an entire game 3 years ago.  🤣

And 4 years ago, Denver didn't complete a pass in an entire half.

I'm not being really serious, but to me, that's not really relevant.  Yes, there are no teams that don't throw a pass, but I can guarantee you if a NFL team was ever allowed to have a lead as large as some of those leads, then the passes would certainly be minimal. 

Ultimately, IMO, I don't like Bo Nix.  I could be wrong, but there are a multitude of factors that lead to that opinion.  It's not just his age, it's not just the offense, it's not just his performance at Auburn...it's all of them together, along with some other minor things.  Those data points are big red flags to me.  He could prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.  I see a very low ceiling for him, and I've been fairly consistent in my opinions on QBs that I want guys with high ceilings.  Having a higher floor is a plus (which Nix does have), but it's far outweighed by the ceiling.     

At the high end, I've seen him compared to Drew Brees or Tony Romo...but, I've also seen him compared to Gardner Minshew and Mac Jones.

With Bradbury not being guaranteed to be on the roster through the next 2 years, I've often had them picking a C late.  This is one of them that I've had come up in a mock. 

• Like 1

The issue with a guy like Bo Nix, and to some extent Penix, isn’t their age per se, it’s where they are as prospects in relation to their experience level. Frankly, they both should look better than they have given the number of games they’ve played. 

Joe Burrow was 23 when he was drafted, but he had only started 28 collegiate games. Where his development was in relation to his playing experience was exceptional, and why he was easily the #1 overall pick. 

Bo Nix has started 61 collegiate games, the most in NCAA history, and we’re still asking some pretty significant questions about his ability. 

• Like 3

Via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, the Jets would like to slide down from No. 10 in round one in a trade with a team that might want to move up to get whichever of the top quarterbacks remain available after the first nine picks.

Currently, three teams that likely are looking for quarterbacks land immediately behind the Jets — the Vikings at No. 11, the Broncos at No. 12, and the Raiders at No. 13.

Cimini adds that the Jets would like to pick up a second-round pick to replace the one that goes to the Packers as part of the Aaron Rodgers trade.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jets-could-be-looking-to-trade-down-from-no-10