Post Draft - What would you have done

Sllim Pickens

This is always one of the fun things I like to do after the draft, albeit was more fun when I didn't trust our Gm as much.  Go through our picks with who was actually available and tell us who you would have picked instead or if you would have kept the same pick. I end up using the pick numbers we actually made for ease but if you prefer to reverse the trade for Martin, feel free.  Just fun to see who would have been more right a couple years down the road compared to what Holmes did.

My draft would have looked something like this if I were our GM after the trades. I would have not made the trade up for Martin so will keep 122, 139, and 168.

Rd 1 pick 12 - Christian Gonzalez, CB Oregon

Rd 1 Pick 18 - Jack Campbell, LB Iowa

Rd 2 pick 34 - Brian Branch, S Alabama

Rd 2 pick 45 - Rashee Rice, WR SMU

Rd 3 Pick 68 - Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee

Rd 4 Pick 122 - Isaiah McGuire, DE Missouri

Rd 5 Pick 139 - Israel Abanikanda, RB Pittsburgh

Rd 5 Pick 152 - Antonio Johnson, S Texas A&M

Rd 5 Pick 168 - Karl Brooks, DT Bowling Green

Rd 7 Pick 219 - Andrew Vorhees, OG USC

• Like 3

This is a really cool thread.  The only thing I would have done differently would be to move up to 16 to grab Christian Gonzales.  It wouldn't have taken too much to move up and we probably would have ended up with most of the same picks.  I was perfectly fine with the Lions taking Jahmyr Gibbs at 12.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Well, I think that it's really hard to say. A lot of us liked the players, for example, but thought that the value was a bit off. That's impossible to say though - you can't say for sure that Campbell falls to us in the second round or that Gibbs would've made it to 18, for instance. 

30 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Well, I think that it's really hard to say. A lot of us liked the players, for example, but thought that the value was a bit off. That's impossible to say though - you can't say for sure that Campbell falls to us in the second round or that Gibbs would've made it to 18, for instance. 

I typically say if you switch a player, they will not be there at our next pick.  Strictly using players who were available even though 1 more player would have been available.  If you like a player we drafted, they have to be taken at that pick like I did with Campbell and Hooker.  Branch I drafted higher just because I like him a lot and would have preferred him to Laporta and wanted another player at 45.  

I wouldn't do the original trade down from #6.

#6- Jalen Carter DT- I'm taking a top 4 player at #6 and not thinking twice.

#18- Jack Campbell LB- This is higher than I expected but I love the player so I'm good here.

I do the trade up with the Packers

#45- Brian Branch S/NB- BPA

#68- Hendon Hooker QB- Solid backup QB who is more mobile and has a big arm.

#81- Darnell Washington TE- Slide in the draft and I'd stop the slide here.

Since I didn't move #6, I did not have one of the picks used to move up for #96 so that trade is off the board. 

#122- Andrew Vorhees OG- I'm okay with his injury and letting him sit. 

#139- Karl Brooks DT- I'd double up at DT here and take a high upside guy.

#219- Antoine Green WR- I like this WR as a depth option for us. He has size and deep threat ability. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I really like this better... but it's something a bit different. I'm going to keep the original picks (or at least the ones they had prior to the draft taking place) to make my life a bit simpler. 

6) Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas: He's getting comparisons to guys like LT and Saquon. Knowing that we want to move on from Swift and take a RB in real life, I have a hard time passing up a guy with this level of talent. Maybe the Lions expected the RB's to drop a bit and be available later on (we didn't see one go until round 2 last year). Bijan becomes the next great Lions RB

18) Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa: He's been my guy for a long time and I don't think he'll be there at 48. He's a foundational piece for the next 10 years. 

48) Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin: I'd like to continue the trend of building through the trenches. I would have liked to see us address the defensive interior a bit more. I believe that McNeill has shed some weight and wants to continue to play at 3T. I suspect we'll see the Lions add someone else to the DL before the season begins

55) O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida: This is in line with pick #6 and #48 - build through the trenches and support the running game. We're going to run the ball at will and control the clock. The Lions did a lot of work on Torrence and they passed him over for some reason. However, he's a guy that could have been taken at #18 pre-draft and it would have made sense. Taking him here at 55 is just a luxury

81) Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia: Without knowing the medicals and anything related to character concerns, I took the best blocker in the draft. This aligns with the philosophy of pick 6 and 55. 

152) Daniel Scott, S, California: The Lions have met with Scott. He'll be a ST player that is going to get a chance to contribute within the rotation

159) Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M: The Lions add another talented player to the secondary. 

183) AT Perry, WR, Wake Forest: Big body WR, he adds an element that the Lions don't currently have. 

193) Andrei Iosivas, WR, Princeton: An athletic freak but a complete project, he's likely going to be sitting on the PS and developing. However, he has a chance to be our Christian Watson with some time. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I wouldn't do the original trade down from #6.

#6- Jalen Carter DT- I'm taking a top 4 player at #6 and not thinking twice.

#18- Jack Campbell LB- This is higher than I expected but I love the player so I'm good here.

I do the trade up with the Packers

#45- Brian Branch S/NB- BPA

#68- Hendon Hooker QB- Solid backup QB who is more mobile and has a big arm.

#81- Darnell Washington TE- Slide in the draft and I'd stop the slide here.

Since I didn't move #6, I did not have one of the picks used to move up for #96 so that trade is off the board. 

#122- Andrew Vorhees OG- I'm okay with his injury and letting him sit. 

#139- Karl Brooks DT- I'd double up at DT here and take a high upside guy.

#219- Antoine Green WR- I like this WR as a depth option for us. He has size and deep threat ability. 

I like your draft better than mine lol

I considered where players went as well. So Moody in 3rd based on him going 99. Close games you need quality K. 

12. Christian Gonzales- CB

18. Jack Campbell- LB

34. Derick Hall- Edge

45. Brian Branch- S

68. Jalin Hyatt- WR

96. Jake Moody- K 

152. Chase Brown - RB

219. Zack Kuntz- TE

shore up that d. Good kicker for close games. HB who can run routes and a huge athletic TE.

8 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Yea but you are talking 152 not top 10

It doesn't really matter - when you get someone on the field, you don't want them giving up the rock. We aren't moving off of Swift without someone we consider to be more of a reliable option. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

It doesn't really matter - when you get someone on the field, you don't want them giving up the rock. We aren't moving off of Swift without someone we consider to be more of a reliable option. 

I wouldn't have traded Swift. This was about draft redo. 

swift would have been a Lion in my scenario so I guess the 7th would have been later 

Edited by detfan782004

4 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I considered where players went as well. So Moody in 3rd based on him going 99. Close games you need quality K. 

96. Jake Moody- K 

Food for thought:

Moody's 2022 FG percentage: 82.9% (29-35)

Michael Badgley's 2022 FG %: 85.7% (24-28)

• Like 2