Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've never been tackled on artificial turf so I can't speak to how different it feels in various situations, so I'm inclined to side with players' takes on this. It just surprised me to see it pop up.

The carpet over cement was hard as a rock, but you could wear shoes on it and it would give way like a cleat on grass. This stuff is like falling on a pillow compared to that stuff, but you have to wear cleats, and the cleats do not give way on that stuff whatsoever. Great for performing some unreal jukes, but there are times when you're stuck and you don't want to be. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've never been tackled on artificial turf so I can't speak to how different it feels in various situations, so I'm inclined to side with players' takes on this. It just surprised me to see it pop up.

The biggest thing from my experience playing on turf (and I'm talking a thin layer of carpet over a concrete slab that UW-Madison used to have many years ago, I don't know if that's what MetLife has) is not only the insane traction you get but also the complete lack of give.  When you plant, you not only stick but there's no give in any direction, so the strain on your ligaments and tendons and joints is higher.  The times I played on those surfaces I was sore in a completely different way than when I played on grass, and my teammates all said the same thing. 

I don't know if modern turf is different but I imagine the traction at least is higher than on natural grass.  I don't know if Kimberly High School still has their turf field, but that was an artificial grass with ground up rubber (old tires I believe) as a base.  It was interesting because it had the give of a natural surface but the durability of turf, and I don't remember any problems with injuries from it.  It was a damn nice field.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the Kimberly HS field didn't have professional athletes on it and I'm sure that makes a huge difference with injuries, so maybe that type of field, even though nice for HS players, wouldn't work in the NFL.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because it absolutely matters. Rodgers play style contributed to his injury. The same **** that people bitched about FOR YEARS may have ended dude's career. 

But it doesn't matter. The injury happened, nothing we analyze can change that. If your friend calls you and they were diagnosed with diabetes do you say, "oh well if you didn't eat all those sweets you wouldn't have got it."

Everyone knows why Rodgers got hurt. He should've thrown that ball to Wilson. All that needs to be said though is, "wow it really sucks that Aaron is hurt." 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Did Rodgers' bout of COVID contribute to his injury? Apparently Achilles tendon injuries have gone up in the COVID era, including for NFL players. Link...

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/9/12/2192819/-Anti-Covid-Vax-QB-Aaron-Rodgers-Appears-to-Rupture-Achilles-an-Injury-More-Common-in-Covid-Era

For me, there’s way too much dancing on the grave of a guy who gave us the better part of two decades of great football including a SB going on here. I also understand this all happened so suddenly so everyone with an issue with Rodgers is going to air it all out now. People can take it how they want. I’m upset that one of the greats is done and likely not coming back.

The link to COVID seems a bit much and obviously can open up a whole other conversation where people have an agenda to push without much factual information. That article makes some pretty flimsy correlations, including the graph which showed achilles injuries growing every year except 2019, which was a down year, and they used that as the benchmark. If there is a correlation, we don’t know how many people were vaccinated or not and still ruptured a tendon. The increase in injury in the general population seems to be from a long layoff of activity and then jumping back into motion. That is likely not the issue with pro athletes but there are way too many factors to start drawing these kind of conclusions without real scientific study. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

The biggest thing from my experience playing on turf (and I'm talking a thin layer of carpet over a concrete slab that UW-Madison used to have many years ago, I don't know if that's what MetLife has) is not only the insane traction you get but also the complete lack of give.  When you plant, you not only stick but there's no give in any direction, so the strain on your ligaments and tendons and joints is higher.  The times I played on those surfaces I was sore in a completely different way than when I played on grass, and my teammates all said the same thing. 

I don't know if modern turf is different but I imagine the traction at least is higher than on natural grass.  I don't know if Kimberly High School still has their turf field, but that was an artificial grass with ground up rubber (old tires I believe) as a base.  It was interesting because it had the give of a natural surface but the durability of turf, and I don't remember any problems with injuries from it.  It was a damn nice field.

That's the same type of field NFL teams use. The give is nice, but it's the traction that's the issue. We lost Doubs, Stokes and Gary last year in Detroit, after watching the film, I don't think any of them would've been injured at Lambeau. 

• Like 2

Just now, Packerraymond said:

That's the same type of field NFL teams use. The give is nice, but it's the traction that's the issue. We lost Doubs, Stokes and Gary last year in Detroit, after watching the film, I don't think any of them would've been injured at Lambeau. 

Gotcha.  See my edit.  I'm sure that type of field is great for HS kids but it creates a huge problem for pro athletes who are much bigger and faster.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

But it doesn't matter. The injury happened, nothing we analyze can change that. If your friend calls you and they were diagnosed with diabetes do you say, "oh well if you didn't eat all those sweets you wouldn't have got it."

Everyone knows why Rodgers got hurt. He should've thrown that ball to Wilson. All that needs to be said though is, "wow it really sucks that Aaron is hurt." 

You obviously don't know my friends and I lol

And it absolutely DOES matter. That's the point. For every single ******* person on this forum that absolved him of blame saying players weren't open as the reason why he ate passes. The ARDS died last night and they died a glorious death. 

I HATE it for 12. This isn't about 12.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Don't deflect. If Rodgers runs that play, as designed, does he get hurt? Yes or no answer only.

And we can separate things. It absolutely sucks that he's done but we can also get to the truth behind why it happened. I don't need to just go "aww shucks" and move on. He's not hurt if he plays within the design of the offense rather than playing to his insatiable need for hero ball.

My bad. No he wouldn’t have 

And you’re right. We can separate it. I can 100% see both sides. 

There are a section of posters who have gone off the deep end with their dislike towards Rodgers and will just spew hatred towards him at every turn. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I have no idea if the turf was an issue with Rodger’s injury, but if it becomes the catalyst for the NFL switching to all grass (perhaps through renewed pressure from the PA), then I’d be all for pretending that it absolutely caused it. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

An actual good friend would press and say "what steps are you now taking to make sure your situation improves and this doesn't happen again?"

****ty friends send thoughts and prayers 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If your friend calls you and they were diagnosed with diabetes do you say, "oh well if you didn't eat all those sweets you wouldn't have got it."

🤷‍♂️

My uncle the alcoholic just died died of liver failure. I didn't tell my aunt it was his own fault because thats classless but I'm fine with telling the interwebs it was his own fault because it was.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Rodgers runs that play, as designed, does he get hurt? Yes or no answer only.

No.

The balls out and it's on to the next play....but listen, AR holding tghe ball and bypassing scheme and/or open intended receivers is a career characteristic - we as Packers fans should all accept this.

It was a freak accident. Could have happened to any other QB....but lets not discount that the OL the Jets cobbled together was going to prove deficient eventually - again - given the way AR plays out of scheme and tries to make things happen - often times that aren't there.

I never wished him ill...but I certainly wasnt pulling for the NYJ's to succeed however.

Time will tell what happens with AR. It sure looks like a steep mountain he's gotta climb though. It's necessary, he's gotta climb it...but whether playing more is at the top of that mountain.....I cant say. Feels like a hard sell to me at least....but I'm not AR.