Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Aaron Rodgers was going to live and die being an improviser, just like Brett lived and died a gunslinger. Don't trade for Rodgers if you want him to be something other than that. Mahomes is the closest thing to Rodgers we've seen, we'll see if he changes as he hits his late 30s, my guess is no. 

Ignorance isn't an excuse tbqh. He's supposedly a cerebral QB yet he doesn't take the cerebral plays. He has the capacity to do so yet he refuses to adapt. That right there is enough to make your blood boil and that's exactly why he gets the backlash from some of us that he does. It's 100% warranted backlash.

• Like 2

Interesting thing now is that, if I understand it correctly, it looks like the Jets 1st and 2nd in 2024 may be presently tied up and neither can traded, say, for another QB, unless they first renegotiate the deal with the Packers. Jets fans cannot be pleased by that if it is true.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think Rodgers was clearly regressing prior to the Love pick.  The Love pick fired him up to the point where he played consecutive MVP seasons, but that momentum ran out last season.  It was simply time for the Packers to move on, and I'm glad that Rodgers netted the Packers a lot more in terms of draft capital than if he simply retired.

More than anything, after week 1 we know that anyone who is currently critical of Gutekunst is a stupid person. 

He is upper echelon

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lol wut

You just got done calling me a moron for saying the same thing.

Figure out what you think 

Reasonable to think he should've thrown the ball. Moron to say someone should be livid at him for having a torn achilles. 

So he should've gone the entire year without ever hitting the scramble drill (whether warranted or not)? 

You trade for Rodgers knowing who he is and how he plays. Not sure why he read the field side of that play first, but he had some sort of hunch pre-snap that something would break there. He was wrong. Probably a zillion times in his career it has broken for an explosive. 

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I have to say the Jets #8 Rodgers jerseys (of which many were sold) is going to be a very interesting historical artifact particularly if Rodgers calls it a career after this.

I can't imagine his ego lets him do so. That being said that is one hell of an injury for his age. I'm just bummed if this is the way it ends for him. I'm not saying I became a Jets fan, or wanted them to win a chip. I just didn't want to see one of my all time fav players go out like this. The downside of sports for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I have to say the Jets #8 Rodgers jerseys (of which many were sold) is going to be a very interesting historical artifact particularly if Rodgers calls it a career after this.

McAfee is alleging no inside information but says, in his opinion, he'll be back. Had a doctor on that said as long as Aaron was up for the rehab an Achilles is easier to recover from than an ACL. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Reasonable to think he should've thrown the ball. Moron to say someone should be livid at him for having a torn achilles. 

I think the issue with "being livid at Rodgers" is more about "frustration with the state of affairs upon learning how the reality of Rodgers differs from the lengthy reel of highlights."  Like for a long time he's taken hits because he doesn't want to throw to the intermediate/short route and get yards when he can make "highlight" type throws.  It's just he doesn't normally tear his achilles doing this; that part is just bad luck.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Improvising is fine when the play breaks down, that was what made him great. What made him infuriating was improving when the play was right there in front of him the way the coach had hoped it would be. It's the 4th play of the game, and you pass up a lay-up to shoot a half court three. 

He did this in his MVP seasons and no one cared. Everyone thought "no more rocket balls Brett" was a hilarious line until he threw a pick.

If you desire as a fan, GM or coach to have Aaron Rodgers on your team after he has 15 years of tape doing this, you cannot be mad when he does it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

More than anything, after week 1 we know that anyone who is currently critical of Gutekunst is a stupid person. 

He is upper echelon

Gutekunst turn an aging QB into 2 2nd Rd draft Picks. Who gets hurt in only 4 plays. Can you imagine what would have happen if he had traded Love instead of Rodgers, like some wanted him too. Then to have him get hurt playing 4 plays. Gutekunst is a genius. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So he should've gone the entire year without ever hitting the scramble drill (whether warranted or not)? 

You trade for Rodgers knowing who he is and how he plays. Not sure why he read the field side of that play first, but he had some sort of hunch pre-snap that something would break there. He was wrong. Probably a zillion times in his career it has broken for an explosive. 

I suggest you try harder to understand both the point and the context around it before you opine on things going forward.

Nobody said Jets fans should be mad because he got injured.

it's because he continues to play in a mindset that increases the risk of it.

6 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Interesting thing now is that, if I understand it correctly, it looks like the Jets 1st and 2nd in 2024 may be presently tied up and neither can traded, say, for another QB, unless they first renegotiate the deal with the Packers. Jets fans cannot be pleased by that if it is true.

Technically true, but very easy to work around now. The Jets are not handcuffed by the Packers anymore after this injury. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I suggest you try harder to understand both the point and the context around it before you opine on things going forward.

Nobody said Jets fans should be mad because he got injured.

it's because he continues to play in a mindset that increases the risk of it.

So 15 years of tape doing it, but they should be mad at him for doing it? It was suddenly going to stop? 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

He did this in his MVP seasons and no one cared. Everyone thought "no more rocket balls Brett" was a hilarious line until he threw a pick.

If you desire as a fan, GM or coach to have Aaron Rodgers on your team after he has 15 years of tape doing this, you cannot be mad when he does it. 

Which is a part of the reason he went to the Jets. As someone else said, "live by the sword, die by the sword!" 

Many of us were tired of him years ago. The improvisation was a double-edged sword, as I stated. His aversion to the center of the field is something he should get phycological help for. 

I take no joy in Rodgers getting hurt. Said it earlier. Tough watching Favre's career end up wounded on the sidelines. If this is Aaron's last game, that too would be a shame. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I can't imagine his ego lets him do so. That being said that is one hell of an injury for his age. I'm just bummed if this is the way it ends for him. I'm not saying I became a Jets fan, or wanted them to win a chip. I just didn't want to see one of my all time fav players go out like this. The downside of sports for sure.

I think there's going to be a complicated offseason for the Jets, assuming they fall short of their expectations (which were "the superbowl" so they probably will.)  Woody Johnson is not a normal or sensible person, but this is a results driven business and Joe Douglas has taken two big swings at quarterback and whiffed twice.   It's possible that "if we give everybody another year" that will lure Rodgers back, but it's possible it won't.  Even if Douglas gets replaced and Saleh gets retained, usually the new GM moves off of the established HC in a year or two.

Is it defensible business for the Jets to like "retain Nathaniel Hackett and Randall Cobb to keep Rodgers happy"?  I don't know.

• Like 1