Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I am imagining a potential 3-way trade near the deadline where the Jets get Kyler Murray,

I believe the Jets are on the hook for 130 million for Rodgers going forward. I could be wrong about that. 

Now you want them to pick up an additional 35 million guaranteed for Murray next year. On top of that to negotiate a smaller number from Murray, they are very likely going to have to get him a lot more money in guarantees in future years, to get him to agree to lowering the 24-cap hit.

On top of that, he sucks! 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I get all the talk about this but who are they going to get in a trade that could come in and take them to the Super Bowl? Is there a quarterback available worthy of a FRP they could get? 

Not attacking you @Leader just a general question. 

I dont think it's gonna happen....and frankly, I dont see any reason GB should alter (or agree to alter) the terms of the negotiated trade.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What precedent does the NFL have to force the Packers to change to a MUTUALLY agreed trade?

The trade in question is contingent on Rodgers meeting parameters he can’t. I can’t think of a trade the league has to compare it to. They could set a new precedent. It would rarely come up. But there may be language in that deal, or at least if the Jets were covering their bases there should be, that covers the Jets for this exact situation. A good lawyer would be thinking worst case scenario (this) for their client and include that in the languages. 
“if Rodgers lands on permanent IR prior to x day, the trade executes immediately” is all it would take.

3 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

The trade in question is contingent on Rodgers meeting parameters he can’t. I can’t think of a trade the league has to compare it to. They could set a new precedent. It would rarely come up. But there may be language in that deal, or at least if the Jets were covering their bases there should be, that covers the Jets for this exact situation. A good lawyer would be thinking worst case scenario (this) for their client and include that in the languages. 
“if Rodgers lands on permanent IR prior to x day, the trade executes immediately” is all it would take.

I don't think there is a permanent IR unless the player is placed on IR prior to the cut down to 53.  

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I don't think there is a permanent IR unless the player is placed on IR prior to the cut down to 53.  

The term I keep reading is “season-ending IR” vs just “IR”. There’s a limit on the number of guys you can pull off it.

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

That happens all the time. A player gets traded and gets hurt. Tough $h1t

Edited by MantyWrestler

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

That happens all the time. A player gets traded and gets hurt. Touch $h1t

When’s the last time a guy was traded with a playing time condition attached to a pick? Not trying to be smart. I can’t think of another situation like this.

Like the Packers and Jets were negotiating the parameters of the Rodgers trade for literally a month.  If the Jets had wanted additional protections in case Rodgers gets hurt, or decides to retire suddenly because of a shamanic vision, they should have insisted on it during these negotations.  They did not.  We shouldn't assume the Jets are so incompetent that they didn't anticipate "Rodgers gets hurt" as one of the potential outcomes so as to give them a refund.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

When’s the last time a guy was traded with a playing time condition attached to a pick? Not trying to be smart. I can’t think of another situation like this.

When the Browns traded Mayfield to the Panthers in 2022, there was a condition on the draft pick compensation contingent on Mayfield playing 70% of the snaps in Carolina.  It's just that this trade involved like 4th and 5th round picks, and the Panthers were emphatically not "all-in" like the Jets were this year.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

22 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

I haven’t considered the financial stuff much until I saw these last few posts.

As I understand it, and I may not have all the variables accounted for, the Jets are hosed this year, screwed next year and f****** f***ed for 2025.

Is that about right?