Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

I genuinely don't buy that the Jets plan was for Wilson to learn how to quarterback through osmosis by hanging around Rodgers.  Like Wilson's a free agent after 2024, were they going to pick up his 5th year option?  Extend him?

I'm pretty sure all this stuff like "Rodgers took Wilson under his wing" is just stories that Jets fans tell themselves to feel better.

23 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

When’s the last time a guy was traded with a playing time condition attached to a pick? Not trying to be smart. I can’t think of another situation like this.

I can’t think of an exact trade but there are conditional trades all the time and guys get hurt all the time. 

The whole point of the conditions is pretty much for this purpose or if they suck but that’s not really why this stipulation was added here unless you really think it was because they thought Rodgers may not actually be good. 

24 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

When’s the last time a guy was traded with a playing time condition attached to a pick? Not trying to be smart. I can’t think of another situation like this.

Soooooooo.....what? He was traded with a 65% condition....which obviously is now null and void...or unmatched (would be a better way to consider it).

So, since it's no longer a valid trigger....it's dealt the same as if he played a full season, but didnt meet the 65% parameter. 

34 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Carson Wentz is one

The Wentz trade originally looked like so:

Eagles get Colts get 
 2021 third-round pick Carson Wentz 
 A 2022 second-round pick that could become
a first-round pick if playing time benchmarks were hit in 2021

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Soooooooo.....what? He was traded with a 65% condition....which obviously is now null and void...or unmatched (would be a better way to consider it).

So, since it's no longer a valid trigger....it's dealt the same as if he played a full season, but didnt meet the 65% parameter. 

That's how it will work out in the end but right now it's still an open condition until the season is over. In a practical sense, it's set, but by the letter of the agreement it's still an open question until the season is over and they can calculate the actual # of snaps total vs played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

When the Browns traded Mayfield to the Panthers in 2022, there was a condition on the draft pick compensation contingent on Mayfield playing 70% of the snaps in Carolina.  It's just that this trade involved like 4th and 5th round picks, and the Panthers were emphatically not "all-in" like the Jets were this year.

Now you have to throw in the idea of Mayfield being IR’d to meet the Rodgers situation.
I can see the NFL taking a situation like that and accelerating it, saying the Jets can trade away their first round pick with it being common knowledge Rodgers will not meet the criteria.

16 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Now you have to throw in the idea of Mayfield being IR’d to meet the Rodgers situation.
I can see the NFL taking a situation like that and accelerating it, saying the Jets can trade away their first round pick with it being common knowledge Rodgers will not meet the criteria.

I doubt it, a deal was made after much deliberation. Jets GM dragged Gutey out over a 2 spot pick swap and obviously every little detail on the 65% over a HOFer. If they want to change the conditions to their benefit, it’s not wrong to ask for something back in return. I don’t know what that might be, but cap space seems to be the most obvious. We’ll see but I doubt the two sides are best friends after the drawn out negotiations. 

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I get all the talk about this but who are they going to get in a trade that could come in and take them to the Super Bowl? Is there a quarterback available worthy of a FRP they could get? 

Not attacking you @Leader just a general question. 

I can't imagine any team out there willing to trade a decent QB to the Jets right now.  We all know there really aren't 32 quality starting QBs out there as it is.

The point is that the NFL's league rules are written by and for lawyers.  A trade is a contract between two teams.  If you want to change the terms of the contract, you need the other party to sign off on it.  The rule that "the conditions on a conditional trade toll at the end of the season"]

I don't even think the Jets will want to trade that FRP before the deadline.  I don't know if that helps Saleh/Douglas keep their jobs, and the goal going forward should be "lure Rodgers back for 2024, spend the FRP on an OT".

There's nothing on earth that would be funnier than Rodgers telling them that he's done, so they eat a $70 million dollar cap hit, but they don't want to waste a season, so they send a king's ransom for Kyler Murray, including having to send us a 5th to unlock their ability to trade their 1st midseason.