Giants fire HC McAdoo and GM Jerry Reese; Spagnuolo to be interim HC

bzane

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

Can you imagine having your starting streak ended by a coach who is already on the chopping block, only for him to be fired the next week and you get your starting spot back?

I think the mishandling of that was the final straw for Mara and Tisch. So if Eli's streak didn't end, Mcadoo would still be the head coach right now.

On a personal note, I hope Mcadoo is able to learn from this experience and be better because of it. He is still young by NFL head coaching standards (he's only 40). Plus, it always sucks to see someone lose their job, especially a few weeks before Christmas. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere. Tennessee job is still open, I think.

This is the first time the Giants have fired a HC midseason since 1976 and the first time there will be a huge GM change since before George Young was hired in 79. There has been a really peaceful transfer of power at GM since George Young- Ernie Accorsi was hired from within when Young retired and Reese was hired from within when Accorsi stepped down. There is going to be a huge change of culture for the Giants, definitely unlike anything I've seen in my life as a fan.

The first Giants head coach to be fired midseason since Bill Arnsparger in 1976! First one in 40 years jesus. Leroy Andrews is apparently the only other Giants HC to be fired in the middle of a season. This from a franchise that's nearly 100 years old.

Wow. Eli back under center??? Eli sacrificed his streak to get rid of Mcadoo.

I forgot about Kevin Abrams as well. He's a better choice of interim GM than Marc Ross. The latter has had way more interviews with other teams for the GM position, but he's always been Reese's underling. He's too similar to the guy we just sacked.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Interim HC is Spags. Mara and Tisch have always really liked him, even though he really isn't a good coach.

This isn't a surprise, Spags hasn't been a great head coach over the years, but I've always considered him a solid defensive coordinator.  Also wouldn't be surprised if Vice President of Player Evaluation, Marc Ross isn't promoted to General Manager.

It’s amazing how quickly things went downhill with the Giants.  It was supposed to be the jets that were a dumpster fire in Nyc and they’ve overacheived.  With literally half the team being a free agent this off-season, it’s going to look a lot different next year.  Let the rebuilding process begin

Archived