Giants fire HC McAdoo and GM Jerry Reese; Spagnuolo to be interim HC

bzane

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I thought the word on the street was that the decision to bench Manning had come from up top. 

Sounds like no one has a ******* clue. 

The Giants are pulling this one from the Redskins and Niners playbook. 

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Things are proceeding very quickly now ... shades of the Brad Childress and Wade Phillips firings in 2010. The fans and front office saw the writing on the wall and canned those guys before the end of the season; McAdodo could meet the same fate.

Who would be the interim HC if this happens?

I would assume it would be Steve Spagnuolo, strange as it sounds- he's been a head coach, he's already on-board, he knows the players and the system. Interim only, of course. I don't see who else they could plug in on short notice, although there is another home-town boy who apparently sent in an interesting text about himself:

Image result for Anthony weiner

Mara complaining about the manner in which this was handled seems rich to me. Didn't he try to defend himself by claiming that he approached Eli about letting him start games, before giving way to Geno? I would think that would be the biggest slap in the face to a veteran QB you could make. But Mara saw nothing wrong with it and thought it was a reasonable accommodation.

Firing McAdoo after the last week would make the least sense of anything they could do. The owner already signed off on the benching. So he basically allowed the bridge with his 2x Super Bowl winning/MVP QB be burned for absolutely nothing. To fire the guy who made the decision all of a week later.

What I see here is that the Giants didn't anticipate quite as much fallout for the benching. Mara is in panic mode and getting reactionary. Sort of like the guy he constantly defends in the league office. For as much clout as he seems to have, I'm not seeing a particularly intelligent individual here.

It seems like the Manning benching came from higher than McAdoo, but assuming it didn't, I think the best thing the team could have done for itself and for the fan base would have been to fire him the day after he announced Eli was being benched. Either way, I think they should go with Manning after this week again. If that's the case, you almost have to fire McAdoo because there would be zero doubt (not that there is any now) that he is a horrible coach and horrible at personnel management. The team need some to do right by Eli from here on out, because there is no way they could lure a new HC of any worth next year if they don't have Eli there. Sure, the new coach will probably look for his QBOTF, but not having a bridge in place make sure the job that much more difficult... and having someone of Eli's talent there to be that bridge makes the job all the more enviable to HC prospects.

Mara claims he was out of town when the call was made to him. And he understood it as later in games they were going to ask Eli to give way to Geno and Webb so they could be evaluated. He agreed to those terms. Somehow that became "let Eli start and we'll pull him at halftime" which Mara says he did not agree too. I believe Eli probably would have been ok with the first scenario.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Is this actually what he said? LMAO

Yyyyyyyyup.

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We'll make Geno look like Brady today and McAdoo will be extended for 7 more years.

Well, to be fair, the Raiders did make Geno look like Brady.

Brady Quinn.  :D

Archived